Welcome to the LGC Instructor Program Frequently Asked Questions page, where we do our best to address the most common questions and concerns about instructor eligibility, expectations, insurance, and more. If something is not addressed here, please do not hesitate to send an email to email@example.com. To review our course offerings, please visit the training page.
What are the prerequisites for instructor eligibility?
- Not be a prohibited person as per 18 U.S.C. § 922.
- Possess at least one handgun, preferably in .22LR (courses are based around pistol marksmanship).
- Be a member of the LGC in good standing.
- Have prior exposure to formal training (includes CCW classes) or existing instructor credentials.
Do I need insurance to teach?
Insurance is not required but we highly recommend it. USA Shooting endorses Lockton Affinity. If you opt to teach under the umbrella of New England Security Partners, you will be covered under their policy.
Will I need access to a classroom to teach LGC courses?
How much should I charge for my services?
What should my class size be?
How will students find me?
What is a good setting for teaching?
- Indoor vs Outdoor – Outdoor ranges are usually quieter, but may have fewer options in terms of target placement. Most indoor ranges are louder and not as well ventilated, and thus less comfortable for new shooters. However, they may have classroom space you can use for safety briefing. Mechanical target retrieval is a bonus at indoor ranges.
- Public vs Private – Beginner shooters benefit from quiet, controlled environments for their first time behind a gun. If possible, find a way to secure time at the range when nobody else is shooting nearby, or reserve a private bay/section if that option exists and is affordable. Be aware of how range-specific restrictions on caliber or rate of fire may affect your instruction.
- Target placement – Beginner shooters should start out at 7 yards or even closer. If the minimum distance for pistols at your range starts at 15 yards, consider using a different facility.
- General Amenities – Your students will get tired, thirsty, and hungry. Make sure your facility has restrooms, water for drinking, and a place to sit down.
Are LGC courses recognized for the training requirement of concealed carry permits?
As an instructor, should I get medical training?
One of our CA chapter members is a Bleeding Control instructor and recommends this first aid kit to cover most situations.
What am I expected to provide my students as an instructor?
For recommendations on student supplies and accessories, please see this Amazon wish list.
How much time should I be spending with students?
Firearms Familiarization – 4-6 hours
Intro to Defensive Shooting – ~8 hours
Currently the LGC has instructors in these states
Are you a current firearms instructor that would like to offer LGC courses? Want to take one of our courses? Check out our frequently asked questions here first.