How many is too many? (just a long rant...)

My spouse asked me earlier this evening: "So, just how many CZ pistols do you have?" She knows of all of them, but wanted to confirm the number.

I was honest with her, even if I won't type the number online (a couple of you know, and others could probably figure out if they went through my posts with care). She gave me a look. Yes, that kind of look.

And the look didn't get any nicer when I mentioned a number of moving boxes of planters that are in storage (and I'm sure the number I mentioned was smaller than the actual number). My spouse and a friend of ours had, at some point, thought to collect planters and have a booth at a "Peddlers' Mall" kind of place to sell them, and we have the bulk of the inventory that was purchased toward that project. Then COVID-19 hit, and, well, we still have that inventory. I might mention that this is the first time I've made any comment approaching a judgement on the number of planters there are...

Yeah, okay, I started buying firearms in 2020 because the fascists were taking over more and more of our society and we (she knew and participated in some of the buying decisions) wanted to have means of self-protection. I am very much a believer that if there is a firearm in the safe, she should be reasonably proficient with it (and know how to clean it, etc.). She understands and agrees with that sentiment.

My journey to "my preferred EDC" has taken me through a series of models, for an assortment of reasons. I'm sure that any on this forum who focus on self defense as their main reason for owning a pistol can relate. Out of the several pistols I purchased over the last four years, I've sold one that I realized after buying it that I just didn't like it as much as I thought I did at time of purchase. There are, admittedly, a couple that don't/won't serve me well as self defense or home defense pieces as others in the collection. For that reason, I *could* justify selling them, since I rarely get them out of the safe now.

I used to be a bike shop service manager. I still have most of the bicycles I bought over the last twenty years, even though my current living situation makes it hard to justify having more than one or two bicycles. I TOTALLY understand the "N+1" mind set, and fully recognize that at least two of the pistols in my safe(s) are results of the N+1 thing.

The rest of my 9mm pistols reflect an evolution of who I am as a person who carries a firearm whenever I can, and that the firearm I carry is one that is the most comfortable for my mind and physique. *Could* I sell one or two? Sure. I have a P10S that I had planned to sell to a former coworker, and it's in its case, cleaned, ready for that person (or someone else) to buy it, and the former coworker seems to have "ghosted" me, so I could sell it and do something else with the money (probably buy more ammo, or pay to have another pistol in the collection "massaged" by Cajun Gun Works, or...).

Of course, this doesn't even discuss the long guns. My first AR-platform rifle, because, again, there was a sense that the fascists would rise up even more than they already had (and because it's a popular style, and my spouse quickly saw value in knowing how to break down an AR-platform rifle to "demilitarize" one during the street protests where she was acting as a street medic). Or the second AR-platform rifle, because if I have one, there has to be another one for her. Or the lever-action .22LR Rossi, because I realized that I enjoy shooting and wanted a less-expensive "plinking" gun. Or the bolt-action Mossberg that was almost a replica of my first rifle (that got lost in one or another of my many changes of address).

End of rant.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: How many is too many? (just a long rant...)

If you have the money, and you can store them all safely, it shouldn't be an issue. These days, finances being what they are, priorities matter.

Even if the fascists rise up and start going door to door, there are limits to the effective number of guns a person could use defensively. That limit might be higher depending on whether you have that carry rig from Boondock Saints. Being able to evacuate without leaving guns behind is another consideration.

You do you. But keep the spousal critter happy too.

X+just one more seems about the right number for me. I can't say I'm a collector, but if a firearm truly speaks to me (and it's available in CA), I usually end up with it. I have sold some that lost their luster or didn't ever get out to play. I tend to enjoy tinkering with the ones I have to acquiring a stockpile, but they eye is always open for that +1 tickle.

That said, I pack a lunch, brew my own coffee and don't drink, so manage to keep spending fairly low on other frivolities.

I've never needed a gun, but the ones I wanted plus several more are in my gun safe. I agree there's an effective limit to the number of guns that might be useful. But it's not a bad idea to have a spare or two. For a couple of decades I collected WWI and WWII bolt guns. I managed to sell a dozen or so of the ones I determined I no longer needed. But still my gun safe is pretty stuffed. If it weren't so danged difficult in California to sell them, I'd have a few fewer in my safe, so there'd be room for the projects I have stacked up. I suppose when I finish a project I should sell one from the safe. It's neat to know they're there, though. We'll see how good I am at that sort of thing as time progresses.

A gun is a good thing to have and not need.

CDF
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I have dropped down to one (tax bill fire sale) and have had as many as eight. Five to six is a good number for me.

I usually have:

One or two home defense guns
One or two ccw guns
One to three trainers

I don't hunt, so everything else is just a range toy. But I try to combine those with the above categories if I can. My current two trainers are also my home defense guns. They are also my two favorite fun guns.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

You want to buy a lot of guns. You need to figure out why you have that want. If you are constantly looking for ways to justify it, then you have not figured out the actual "why", or you have figured it out but don't like the answer so you are convincing yourself there is a different reason.

Nobody but you can decide what is "enough" but you should examine your own internal emotional and psychological reasons and decide (for yourself) if you are acting rationally.

I got a bit out of hand with pocket knife collecting a decade of so ago. I have more pocket knives than I could wear out in 10 lifetimes from actual usage. At one point, I finally got over the "ooh, new shiny thing, I want!" feeling, and asked myself "remember that last one you bought, the one you still have not carried or done anything but look at after taking it out of the box and put it back in? Weren't you planning on using that one, too? Aren't you carrying a perfectly good pocket knife right now that can cut up the cardboard boxes and occasionally open packages and envelopes or cut string, that are your only actual needs?"

And of course, my internal "want the new toy" child would hang his internal head in shame and say, "No, I guess I have enough toys" to where the internal adult finally won and I did not have to have that conversation again. I have relented 3 times in the intervening 9 years, for a special annual pocket knife custom produced for a forum I am a member of. It wasn't the money - one $100 pocket knife per year is not going to break my budget. But I did not get the same new toy feeling and kind of felt foolish for adding yet another unused or barely used knife to the accumulation. Some day I will need to sell them all, but it is a lot easier to buy than to sell if you are not in the business of selling things.

I think the trick is to looking into the future, not as the burning post-apocalypse world of movies where you are living in an old shipping container, in shootouts over a can of dog food to survive, but into the future of "I am going to need to sell this thing when I no longer need it, or when I need money more than an extra gun" which is a much more likely scenario.

I would rather be on the losing end of that gunfight over a can of dog food, by the way. Fuck that future, I don't WANT to survive in that.

Thanks all!

Since my initial reason for buying pistols was self-defense, I don't feel a need to collect firearms. When I'm in a gun store, I look at the used guns to see if anything piques my interest, and look at what they have in a couple brands (usually CZ, maybe Sig, maybe Beretta), just to see if anything speaks to me. It's been a while since I bought a new-to-me pistol, as I'm pretty happy with my current EDC (and the sometimes substitutes to allow for seasonal clothing changes). I think the last two firearms I bought were nostalgia pieces (a Mossberg 340KC and a Mossberg 341) because my first rifle was a 341 that got lost in one or another of my changes of address over the last forty-some years. I could easily part with the 340KC, but haven't gotten around to selling it yet.

I have a CZ P10S that I had planned to sell a year or so ago, but the expected buyer "ghosted" me. If someone shows interest in it, I'll be happy to talk shekels. I *might* be talked into selling my P10C, but I'm not in any hurry to sell anything right now.

Because of the house situation (my spouse and I live with her parents, because they are dealing with age-related memory issues and we're keeping them out of the assisted-living/nursing home/funeral home pipeline), EVERY firearm in the house is behind a lock of some sort. The long guns are in a safe, a couple of pistols are in that safe, a couple of other pistols are in another safe, and my EDC pistol is in yet another safe. I have a couple of grandsons--one a toddler and one even younger, and they will not even know that guns are in my house until they are much older, but I will also keep any guns behind locks for a long time to come.

Mostly I'm just thinking by typing...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Very much an individual decision, based on what you can afford, space to store them, what is acceptable to your spouse... Some people have handguns for home protection, shotguns and rifles for hunting and/or varmint control, competition guns or collections of rare or inherited firearms and combinations. Everyone is different.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am Very much an individual decision, based on what you can afford, space to store them, what is acceptable to your spouse... Some people have handguns for home protection, shotguns and rifles for hunting and/or varmint control, competition guns or collections of rare or inherited firearms and combinations. Everyone is different.
Absolutely. People without children or others that might need watching have different storage requirements than those with just themselves. I fully understand precautions with children, but I don’t want laws mandating types of storage like safes.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The fundamental problem with humans is we don't like limits, don't like limitations. The idea of safe storage is just one small example. The climate is the biggest example.

Many people don't want to limit how they store guns. The same trouble occurs when we want to grow the economy at "only" 3% per year. This means a doubling of the economy every 25 years. Obviously this bumps us up against the environmental limits we're seeing with our climate.

A person's got to know their limitations. The concept of liberty accepts limits whereas freedumb does not.

I'm checking out this podcast series by PBS called "A Brief History of the Future," and a recent episode has a Canadian Evangelical Christian climate activist talking about shared stories about a better future that occurs after we understand the limitations to a desire, for example, of "only" 3% growth. The episode is entitled, "Climate Stories That Can Bridge Political Divides".

I bumped up against my limitation of gun collecting when I just ran out of room to store them. I sold nine rifles that were locked together with cables in a locked closet, which gave me room in my safe for one more project. I still have projects stacked up, so in accepting my limitations I will will peel off another rifle so I can stash my latest project in the safe, a beautiful 1903A3 made totally from original spare parts. It is unfired. All's I need is it head spaced and it's good to go.

I recognized my childishness in wanting to "collect 'em all." But I could not store them all. So it is with me, with the climate. I can see a future of stability with sustainable growth ("circular economics") as opposed to "only" 3% growth per year.

The podcast talks about telling stories of a future where we share stability rather than constant struggle and strife. So now, my struggle with rifles is "which one shall I sell off to make room for my groovy 1903A3?"

CDF
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

sikacz wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 am
highdesert wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am Very much an individual decision, based on what you can afford, space to store them, what is acceptable to your spouse... Some people have handguns for home protection, shotguns and rifles for hunting and/or varmint control, competition guns or collections of rare or inherited firearms and combinations. Everyone is different.
Absolutely. People without children or others that might need watching have different storage requirements than those with just themselves. I fully understand precautions with children, but I don’t want laws mandating types of storage like safes.
Agreed. I'm certain we will see all kinds of new and detailed "Safe Storage" laws being put forward by the Anti Gunners to further bamboozle and harrass gun owners. It's not that I don't agree with safe storage - I do. But it needs to be part of the gun owners responsibility. Like the rules of safe gun handling should be second nature and drilled into a gunners head but mandating it by law is just tedious and "one more thing" to make it tough on gun owners.

I have never been a "collector" of firearms so much as I have preserved guns that have been handed down to me and the ones I purchased as "keepers" for self defense and recreation. I have accumulated *way* too many guns to the point that storing them, maintaining them, or even shooting them exceeds my limits. So, I'm sorting out the stuff that I have no emotional or sentimental attachments to and selling them off. There's some great stuff I have accumulated and someone else needs to fondle them or collect them now. They belong in the possession of folks who really appreciate them.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

At my age I don’t want to be dead. If you judge yourself capable of opening a safe, loading a gun in the same seconds someone is breaking through your front door, good for you. I’m not that fast and I don’t practice quick draw either. I’ll stand by my position. Safe storage is a good concept and each person should be able to figure out what that means in their circumstances. Yes, and lock up your kids and tell them not to be stupid and break into other people’s homes.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.