Many of America's corporations are foreign owned

This link takes you to a list of over 100 American brands and companies that have been bought mostly by China. We are approaching status as a wholly-owned subsidiary of someone else. No wonder our politics are broken.

https://www.streetinsider.com/magazine/ ... ykQAvD_BwE

But you know, a small handful of rich people made pots of money by selling America to foreign governments. My guess is they're budding fascists or even "out" fascists. They just want money and power. Stop buying non American made things.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Many of America's corporations are foreign owned

Buying a former headquarters like IBM's isn't the same as owning IBM.

Recently I had to get new glasses and the vision plan I have was recently changed to EyeMed. Come to find out EyeMed is owned by Italian company Luxottica which merged with the French company Essilor. They own LensCrafters, Sun Glass Hut, Pearle Vision, Target Optical and many frame brands including Chanel, Prada, Giorgio Armani, Burberry, Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, Michael Kos and Ray-Ban. It's hard to beat Costco Optical prices.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Actually, I've been increasingly doing more "buy American" for a while.

Since this is a gun forum, I'll start there. That's one reason why all my reloading gear is by either Lee Precision (the vast majority) or by Dillon (the XL650). My beam scale is a USA-made RCBS 10-10, manufactured by Ohaus. Unfortunately, RCBS has offshored the manufacture of several things, apparently even including some of their presses, to China, so I don't like them anymore. My riflescopes are all either Leupold or Redfield Revolution, for the same reason. I stay away from Vortex, Burris, Bushnell, etc. Yes, I know Leupold's glass comes from Japan. The rest of the riflescope, though, is made in Beaverton, Oregon. My rings and scope mounts are now by either Leupold or ECW, both made in USA.

Of course, I make an exception for certain military surplus firearms of historical interest, like Russian and Finnish Mosin M91's, Swiss K31's, Luger pistols, and such. The C&R-type stuff. But that's among the very few exceptions.

Heck, the jeans I'm wearing now are from the Texas Jeans Co, oddly enough located in North Carolina, but apparently they source everything, including the rivets, from the United States. The cotton is USA-grown. It's then made into denim in the USA. The thread is USA-made, as are the zippers. And the jeans are quality, pretty affordable (not far from Levi's prices), and comfortable. Future purchases of jeans, as my other ones gradually wear out, will be from them. Levi's used to be made in the USA, but now they've offshored, too, so to heck with 'em.

New Balance makes a lot of their running shoes offshore, like Nike, Adidas, Reebok, and so on. However, NB makes their 990 series of running shoes in the United States, with 70% USA-made content, which obviously ain't 100%, but it sure beats everyone else by a long-shot. So, my running shoes are New Balance 990-series. Screw Adidas, Nike, Reebok, and the rest of the sweatshop slave labor companies.

Tim Cook of Apple is one of the more egregious "offshore to China" folks. Everything from Apple is made in China. And I remember when, in the Power Macintosh days, Apple computers proudly said on the back, "Made in USA". But ol' Timmy loves his sweatshop slave labor.

*My* smartphone, however, is made in USA. Yes, there are USA-made smartphones! And no, I don't mean "assembled in USA". I mean, *MADE* in USA.
Last edited by CowboyT on Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

All the new guns I bought were US made, and all my reloading stuff is made in USA. I do have a pair of Russian dividers I thought I would use in reloading, but I put it in my map case because it's a map reading set of dividers. I have old battle rifles from many countries. I have an 1888 model Mauser from China made in 1936 after the Chinese moved the rifle factory up in the mountains to protect it from invading Japanese. I almost always buy American unless there is no alternative.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

That last part of your post is, I believe, most prominent in the computer manufacturing field. It seems that the vast majority of the computer chips are now made in China. Just try finding, say, an x86-64 CPU that's made in the United States these days, either from Intel or AMD. Most memory chips are made in China. All Cisco and Juniper network routers, and most of the network switches, are made in China now.

There are still some chips made in USA, but it's not nearly as prevalent as it had been.

Here's my smartphone components. I'm still amazed, and pleased, that there is such a phone.

Mainboard PCB: USA
Mainboard PCBA: USA
Type-C PCB: USA
Type-C PCBA: USA
Electronics Fabrication: USA
Chassis: China
Modem PCB: USA
Modem PCBA: USA
WiFi Card: India
Packaging: USA
Assembly: USA

Computer chip manufacturers have always been chasing cheap labor, same as cell phone manufacturers. Of the big 5, TSMC a Taiwan company is building a plant in Arizona. Intel manufactures in the US but also in China, wonder if Intel will close down Chinese operations.
https://history-computer.com/the-10-lar ... t-they-do/

The US CHIPS Act has financial incentives for building chip plants in the US.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:53 am Computer chip manufacturers have always been chasing cheap labor, same as cell phone manufacturers. Of the big 5, TSMC a Taiwan company is building a plant in Arizona. Intel manufactures in the US but also in China, wonder if Intel will close down Chinese operations.
https://history-computer.com/the-10-lar ... t-they-do/

The US CHIPS Act has financial incentives for building chip plants in the US.
All I can say is I doubt we have the capacity to build what we need if war was to break out between the USA and China.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 am Personally I think it’s foolish to have allowed critical components to be built outside of the USA.
Prior to Ronnie Ray-Gun, US manufacturing was booming. But moving manufacturing off-shore allowed companies to charge the same amount while having to pay far less for labor AND got to bring about the collapse of unions which Ray-Gun, the corporations, and the billionaires who own the GOP, HATE, HATE, HATE!

That legislation, to allow the HUGE tax incentives, was just the boost China needed to replace us as the world's manufacturer. Companies didn't care that strategic parts were made abroad, and the GOP had no problem selling out our National Security to let them do so, all the while claiming THEY were big on protecting the nation!

Frankly, I have watched horrible policy after horrible policy enacted in my lifetime under Nixon, Ford, Ray-Gun, Bush I, Bush II, and Trump.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YT you got it correct about the horrible policies for the GOP or as they like to think it as God's Only Party. The last good GOP president was Eisenhower and since then, they have slid down the hill, now they are falling off the cliff.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:37 pm YT you got it correct about the horrible policies for the GOP or as they like to think it as God's Only Party. The last good GOP president was Eisenhower and since then, they have slid down the hill, now they are falling off the cliff.
Y'know, going ALL the way back to William Howard Taft, every single Republican President who was succeeded by a Democrat, left an economic mess for the Dem to clean up:
Taft ==> Wilson
Hoover==> FDR
Eisenhower==> JFK
Ford==> Carter
Bush I ==> Clinton
Bush II ==> Obama
TOS ==> Biden

Y'know, I think I sense a pattern here!

And the reverse seems to be true, too. Every Democrat succeeded by a Republican left them a healthy economy, with one exception*:
Cleveland==> McKinley
Wilson==> Harding
Truman==> Eisenhower
LBJ==>Nixon
Carter*==>Reagan
Clinton==> Bush II
Obama==> Trump

* Carter left Reagan all the tools in place to heal the economy, but Reagan almost sank them with his tax cuts and had to reverse himself. Carter's strongest tool was Paul Volcker at the Fed whom Reagan left in place until Volcker, as is tradition, left after 2 terms. Reagan appointed Alan Greenspan who proceeded to undo much of Volcker's good, weakening the economy.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:07 pm
sikacz wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:16 am Personally I think it’s foolish to have allowed critical components to be built outside of the USA.
Prior to Ronnie Ray-Gun, US manufacturing was booming. But moving manufacturing off-shore allowed companies to charge the same amount while having to pay far less for labor AND got to bring about the collapse of unions which Ray-Gun, the corporations, and the billionaires who own the GOP, HATE, HATE, HATE!

That legislation, to allow the HUGE tax incentives, was just the boost China needed to replace us as the world's manufacturer. Companies didn't care that strategic parts were made abroad, and the GOP had no problem selling out our National Security to let them do so, all the while claiming THEY were big on protecting the nation!

Frankly, I have watched horrible policy after horrible policy enacted in my lifetime under Nixon, Ford, Ray-Gun, Bush I, Bush II, and Trump.
Not quite. I remind you that Pres. Clinton was a big, big fan of giving Red China "Most Favored Nation" trading status. It was then that we saw the huge move of American computer chip manufacturers to the PRC for that sweatshop labor. Remember, Apple Computer, back when they were still called that, used to make their computers in the USA. Intel's processors were principally made in USA chip foundries at the time, same as Micron's memory chips and a lot of Texas Instruments chips. I remember those days.

I get that you all want to blame only the Republicans for this, since they're "the other tribe". And they certainly bear plenty of responsibility for the current state of things. But don't forget about the role your precious Democrats played in this as well, folks. They're not your friends, either.