GOP lawmaker wants to eliminate lunch breaks and cut worker pay

A Republican state representative in Kentucky is proposing a bill that, if passed, would repeal the requirement that employers provide workers with lunch breaks. It also includes language that would result in a reduction in net pay for many workers.

The Kentucky Center for Economic Policy (KCEP) — a fiscal policy think tank in the commonwealth — recently broke down House Bill 500, which was sponsored by Republican Rep. Phillip Pratt. Aside from its language allowing companies to avoid having to provide lunch breaks to workers, it would also eliminate mandatory rest breaks and end the requirement to pay time-and-a-half wages to employees who work seven days a week. HB 500 also removes any liability for employers who don't pay workers for time on the clock traveling between jobs, and allows companies to not pay workers for tasks associated with starting and ending a job.

Additionally, the bill reduces the amount of time workers have to report labor violations from five years to three years, and blocks plaintiffs from being paid punitive damages for suffering emotional distress, humiliation or embarrassment over wrongful termination.

"Collectively, these provisions weaken multiple common sense protections for safe working conditions and fair pay that have been a part of Kentucky’s safeguards for more than half a century," the KCEP wrote in its analysis of the bill. "HB 500 will make work more dangerous by depriving workers of food and rest, incentivizing them to travel too quickly to get to their job site, and discouraging them from taking proper precautions at the start of shifts. And it will take pay away from workers when they are moving between job locations, working excessive weeks, and engaging in necessary tasks at the beginning and end of the work day."

Should the bill pass, Rep. Pratt would stand to reap a financial benefit, as he is the owner of a lawn care and landscaping business in Georgetown, Kentucky. Outdoor workers like landscapers typically have to take frequent breaks throughout the day due to the physically demanding nature of their jobs — particularly in hot summer months. In Texas, for example, the City of Dallas mandates that construction workers have a 10-minute break every four hours (a bill Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law last year eliminated mandatory water breaks).
Full article: https://www.alternet.org/gop-lawmaker-lunch-breaks/

With crap like this being done, we can still wonder why the MAGAs still support the Repugs against their own best interest?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: GOP lawmaker wants to eliminate lunch breaks and cut worker pay

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:19 am
A Republican state representative in Kentucky is proposing a bill that, if passed, would repeal the requirement that employers provide workers with lunch breaks. It also includes language that would result in a reduction in net pay for many workers.

The Kentucky Center for Economic Policy (KCEP) — a fiscal policy think tank in the commonwealth — recently broke down House Bill 500, which was sponsored by Republican Rep. Phillip Pratt. Aside from its language allowing companies to avoid having to provide lunch breaks to workers, it would also eliminate mandatory rest breaks and end the requirement to pay time-and-a-half wages to employees who work seven days a week. HB 500 also removes any liability for employers who don't pay workers for time on the clock traveling between jobs, and allows companies to not pay workers for tasks associated with starting and ending a job.

Additionally, the bill reduces the amount of time workers have to report labor violations from five years to three years, and blocks plaintiffs from being paid punitive damages for suffering emotional distress, humiliation or embarrassment over wrongful termination.

"Collectively, these provisions weaken multiple common sense protections for safe working conditions and fair pay that have been a part of Kentucky’s safeguards for more than half a century," the KCEP wrote in its analysis of the bill. "HB 500 will make work more dangerous by depriving workers of food and rest, incentivizing them to travel too quickly to get to their job site, and discouraging them from taking proper precautions at the start of shifts. And it will take pay away from workers when they are moving between job locations, working excessive weeks, and engaging in necessary tasks at the beginning and end of the work day."

Should the bill pass, Rep. Pratt would stand to reap a financial benefit, as he is the owner of a lawn care and landscaping business in Georgetown, Kentucky. Outdoor workers like landscapers typically have to take frequent breaks throughout the day due to the physically demanding nature of their jobs — particularly in hot summer months. In Texas, for example, the City of Dallas mandates that construction workers have a 10-minute break every four hours (a bill Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law last year eliminated mandatory water breaks).
Full article: https://www.alternet.org/gop-lawmaker-lunch-breaks/

With crap like this being done, we can still wonder why the MAGAs still support the Repugs against their own best interest?
Because it still allows them to call Blacks the N-word, Jews kikes, Asians "slopes", Arabs "Sand-N-words", (Liberal) women "Bitches", "Whores", and "dykes", and get away with assaulting and even killing LGBTQ+ especially Trans-gender. They can get Bible studies and "the Ten Commandments" in public schools, and can carry guns anywhere they want.

MAGA feeds their hate, fear, and reassurance that they are "superior"--Übermenschen. For that they are willing to give up their rights, their income, and their security.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

There are always freaky politicians. I doubt voters would go along with it since most of them would feel the impact in their jobs.
Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the workweek and considered in determining if overtime was worked. Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished.

Meal periods (typically lasting at least 30 minutes), serve a different purpose than coffee or snack breaks and, thus, are not work time and are not compensable.
https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workh ... %20breaks.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

senorgrand wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:32 am "building a bridge to the 19th century"
That’s the republican plan, has been since the robber barons were put in their place.
highdesert wrote: There are always freaky politicians. I doubt voters would go along with it since most of them would feel the impact in their jobs.
Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the workweek and considered in determining if overtime was worked. Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished.

Meal periods (typically lasting at least 30 minutes), serve a different purpose than coffee or snack breaks and, thus, are not work time and are not compensable.
I would certainly hope people would understand what is best for them. Corporations always love to point out that having to conform with laws somehow hurts their profit or that they shouldn’t be held responsible since they are not police or social workers. It’s interesting to see who defends corporations and their profits.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:43 pm
senorgrand wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:32 am "building a bridge to the 19th century"
That’s the republican plan, has been since the robber barons were put in their place.
highdesert wrote: There are always freaky politicians. I doubt voters would go along with it since most of them would feel the impact in their jobs.

I would certainly hope people would understand what is best for them. Corporations always love to point out that having to conform with laws somehow hurts their profit or that they shouldn’t be held responsible since they are not police or social workers. It’s interesting to see who defends corporations and their profits.
Businesses that do away with lunch hour and breaks are going to have a very hard time finding employees, it's already difficult. KY has a Democratic governor Steve Beshear who I expect would veto this bill if it got to his desk.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:21 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:43 pm

Businesses that do away with lunch hour and breaks are going to have a very hard time finding employees, it's already difficult. KY has a Democratic governor Steve Beshear who I expect would veto this bill if it got to his desk.
It would be very revealing if he didn’t.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

:sarcasm: What do you mean we have let them eat and use the restroom! Why that is just cutting into our production. Next thing you know they won't let us use whips to speed up production.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:44 pm :sarcasm: What do you mean we have let them eat and use the restroom! Why that is just cutting into our production. Next thing you know they won't let us use whips to speed up production.
Sarcasm aside, I’m pretty sure some of them would love to be able to use a whip to increase production.

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 pm
TrueTexan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:44 pm :sarcasm: What do you mean we have let them eat and use the restroom! Why that is just cutting into our production. Next thing you know they won't let us use whips to speed up production.
Sarcasm aside, I’m pretty sure some of them would love to be able to use a whip to increase production.
Whip requires too much effort and physical space.

Prods are more efficient.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Oh, I'm certain Andy Beshear would veto it.

However, the GFP has a super-majority in the Legislature, and can easily override his veto.

The GFP won't care, either. It isn't THEM having to do shift work.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:48 pm

However, the GFP has a super-majority in the Legislature, and can easily override his veto.

Make rules for the legislature they only get to use the restrooms once a day and need to work 12 hours, no breaks. They get a 20 min lunch break which they can use the one hole restroom.

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:27 pm
BearPaws wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:48 pm

Make rules for the legislature they only get to use the restrooms once a day and need to work 12 hours, no breaks. They get a 20 min lunch break which they can use the one hole restroom.
You're too kind to them.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

sig230 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:30 pm
sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:03 pm
Whip requires too much effort and physical space.

Prods are more efficient.
Automatic dog shock collars.

"One day a blasting cap went off,
and a mile in the air went Big Jim GOff!
When the next pay day came around,
Jim Goff a dollar short was found.
When he asked 'What for?' came this reply:
'You were docked for the time you were up in the sky!'
and drill ye tarriers drill!
For it's work all day for the sugar in your tay,
Down upon the railway,
and drill you tarriers drill!"
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Jump down
spin around
pick a bale of cotton
you gotta
jump down
spin around
pick a bale a day

A few fun facts.

average bale of cotton == 480 pounds
average cotton boll == 1 ounce
average 480 lb bale == 7,680 bolls

The reality though was a "Good Hand" was expected to pick a couple hundred pounds a day, about ten acres of cotton.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim