"Older US adults should get another COVID-19 shot, advisers say."

Older U.S. adults should roll up their sleeves for another COVID-19 shot, even if they got a booster in the fall, an influential government advisory panel said Wednesday. The panel voted 11-1 to say Americans 65 and older should get another dose of the updated vaccine that became available in September — if at least four months has passed since their last shot. The committee advises the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who will decide whether to sign off on the recommendation.

The panel’s decision came after a lengthy discussion about whether to say older people “may” get the shots or if they “should” do so. That reflects a debate among experts about how necessary another booster is and whether yet another recommendation will add to the public’s growing vaccine fatigue. Some doctors say most older adults are adequately protected by the fall shot, which built on immunity derived from earlier vaccinations and exposure to the virus itself. And preliminary studies so far have shown no substantial waning in vaccine effectiveness over six months.

However, the body’s vaccine-induced defenses tend to fade over time, and that happens faster in seniors than in other adults. The committee had recommended COVID-19 booster doses for older adults in 2022 and 2023. COVID-19 remains a danger, especially to older people. There are still more than 20,000 hospitalizations and more than 2,000 deaths each week due to the coronavirus, according to the CDC. And people 65 and older have the highest hospitalization and death rates. Some members of the advisory panel said a “should” recommendation is meant to more clearly prod doctors and pharmacists to offer the shots.

“Most people are coming in either wanting the vaccine or not,” said Dr. Jamie Loehr, a committee member and family doctor in Ithaca, New York. “I am trying to make it easier for providers to say, ‘Yes, we recommend this.’” In September, the government recommended a new COVID-19 shot recipe built against a version of the coronavirus called XBB.1.5. That single-target vaccine replaced combination shots that had been targeting both the original coronavirus strain and a much earlier omicron version.
But there is subset of Americans — those at higher danger of severe illness and death — who have been asking if a another dose is permissible, said Dr. William Schaffner, a Vanderbilt University vaccines expert who serves on a committee workgroup that has been debating the booster question. Indeed, CDC survey data suggests that group’s biggest worry about the vaccine is whether it’s effective enough. Agency officials say that among those who got the latest version of the COVID-19 vaccine, 50% fewer will get sick after they come into contact with the virus compared with those who didn’t get the fall shot.
https://apnews.com/article/covid-vaccin ... %20people.

I'm ready as soon as the CDC director approves it. I've had all 7 so far so if approved this would be the 8th.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Older US adults should get another COVID-19 shot, advisers say."

"Vaccine exhaustion"? What? Are people tired of living? I'm 68--and got Covid in Jan 2023 despite 5 Moderna shots, and it made my leaking heart valve worse--when they pulled it out last April it had gone from just leaking to perforated. I had Flu, RSV, and Covid in September and I'll get another as soon as I can.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:01 am "Vaccine exhaustion"? What? Are people tired of living? I'm 68--and got Covid in Jan 2023 despite 5 Moderna shots, and it made my leaking heart valve worse--when they pulled it out last April it had gone from just leaking to perforated. I had Flu, RSV, and Covid in September and I'll get another as soon as I can.
Agree, I don't understand "vaccine exhaustion", 65+ adults are the group still dying from the virus. Maybe they have a death wish, who knows. I've had all 7 allowed by CDC, 4 Pfizer and 3 Moderna and will gladly roll up my sleeve for another one.

Glad you're doing better YT.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Today, CDC Director Mandy Cohen endorsed the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ (ACIP) recommendation for adults ages 65 years and older to receive an additional updated 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine dose. The recommendation acknowledges the increased risk of severe disease from COVID-19 in older adults, along with the currently available data on vaccine effectiveness.

Data continues to show the importance of vaccination to protect those most at risk for severe outcomes of COVID-19. An additional dose of the updated COVID-19 vaccine may restore protection that has waned since a fall vaccine dose, providing increased protection to adults ages 65 years and older.

Adults 65 years and older are disproportionately impacted by COVID-19, with more than half of COVID-19 hospitalizations during October 2023 to December 2023 occurring in this age group.

CDC and ACIP will continue to monitor COVID-19 vaccine safety and effectiveness. CDC continues to recommend that everyone stay up to date on their COVID-19 vaccines, especially people with weakened immune systems.
“Today’s recommendation allows older adults to receive an additional dose of this season’s COVID-19 vaccine to provide added protection,” said Mandy Cohen, M.D., M.P.H. “Most COVID-19 deaths and hospitalizations last year were among people 65 years and older. An additional vaccine dose can provide added protection that may have decreased over time for those at highest risk.”
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2024 ... covid.html

I made an appmt. to get mine.

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:31 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:01 am "Vaccine exhaustion"? What? Are people tired of living? I'm 68--and got Covid in Jan 2023 despite 5 Moderna shots, and it made my leaking heart valve worse--when they pulled it out last April it had gone from just leaking to perforated. I had Flu, RSV, and Covid in September and I'll get another as soon as I can.
Agree, I don't understand "vaccine exhaustion", 65+ adults are the group still dying from the virus. Maybe they have a death wish, who knows. I've had all 7 allowed by CDC, 4 Pfizer and 3 Moderna and will gladly roll up my sleeve for another one.

Thanks, HD! I'm actually doing well. I try to exercise regularly and we just got back from our vacation home in Abaco, Bahamas.

7? I've only had 6: 2 initial Modernas, and 4 Moderna boosters.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:16 pm
highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:31 am

Thanks, HD! I'm actually doing well. I try to exercise regularly and we just got back from our vacation home in Abaco, Bahamas.

7? I've only had 6: 2 initial Modernas, and 4 Moderna boosters.
There was an extra one we were authorized in Spring 2023, then the one in September 2023 and now February 2024.

I made an appmt. at Wallys yesterday to get the vaccine today, I needed to do shopping there anyway. So I got mine today, quick and almost painless, we'll see if the pain sets in later. So now I've had 4 Pfizer and 4 Moderna the last two were Moderna's Spikevax.