"Alexa, order me a dollhouse."

Imagine what happens when the little girl, and AI, and Alexa decide to have a tea party.
A San Diego TV station sparked complaints this week – after an on-air report about a girl who ordered a dollhouse via her parents' Amazon Echo caused Echoes in viewers' homes to also attempt to order dollhouses.

Telly station CW-6 said the blunder happened during a Thursday morning news package about a Texan six-year-old who racked up big charges while talking to an Echo gadget in her home. According to her parents' Amazon account, their daughter said: "Can you play dollhouse with me and get me a dollhouse?" Next thing they knew, a $160 KidKraft Sparkle Mansion dollhouse and four pounds of sugar cookies arrived on their doorstep.

During that story's segment, a CW-6 news presenter remarked: "I love the little girl, saying 'Alexa ordered me a dollhouse'."

That, apparently, was enough to set off Alexa-powered Echo boxes around San Diego on their own shopping sprees. The California station admitted plenty of viewers complained that the TV broadcast caused their voice-controlled personal assistants to try to place orders for dollhouses on Amazon.
https://www.theregister.com/2017/01/07/ ... _she_does/

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: "Alexa, order me a dollhouse."

Un-freaking believable! This story is so stupid and unfortunately reflects the sad reality of our society which adopts and trusts tech in our everyday lives without conscious consideration. Well, Consumerism is clearly based on unconscious desires overcoming our better selves.

All that trash generated because of a slip in a local news broadcast activated an AI shopping assistant that eavesdrops on every conversation in the room… so dumb!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Hard no to eavesdropping devices from me, too.

I also don’t find it necessary to have my fridge, water heater , etc be IOT connected to the web.

I recently got my first Bluetooth enabled car and it weirds me out that it and my phone collude with each other trying to predict where I’m going.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:01 am Hard no to eavesdropping devices from me, too.

I also don’t find it necessary to have my fridge, water heater , etc be IOT connected to the web.

I recently got my first Bluetooth enabled car and it weirds me out that it and my phone collude with each other trying to predict where I’m going.
Totally don’t want unsolicited advice from any device, or vehicle.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

So ... if you are watching a TV show and someone on the show uses the key words "Alexa - buy me a Corvette" your device sitting nearby can be triggered to automatically just purchase a car for you without your knowledge, consent, or approval?

Yeah, that's a technology that I sure as hell don't want.

Bisbee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:57 pm Well, Consumerism is clearly based on unconscious desires overcoming our better selves.
"Siri, order 2000 Zero bullets each in .355", .357", .429" and .452" diameter. And four boxes each of .380, .45 ACP and 9 mm with HSTs."

It wasn't my fault, my phone did it.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.