"Homeowner shoots, kills suspect during home invasion"

The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating after a homeowner shot and killed a home invasion suspect. Officers were first called to a home in the 11400 block of Swinton Avenue in Granada Hills around 5 a.m. Saturday morning on calls of a “hot prowl,” or a burglary in progress when the homeowner is present, law enforcement officials said. “The officers’ preliminary investigation determined that approximately three to four armed males in their 20s entered the home with the intent to burglarize the location,” LAPD said on X, formerly Twitter, just after 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon. “A suspect pointed a weapon at the victim and while the suspects were inside the residence, the victim produced a firearm and a shooting occurred.”

One of the suspects was struck by gunfire and died at the scene, police said. According to the LAPD, present in the home were the homeowner, a grandmother and a toddler. Video shows the male homeowner being detained by police during the initial investigation, though it is not known if he faces charges. The deceased suspect has only been identified as a man, police told KTLA 5’s Carlos Herrera. The other three suspects fled the scene in an unknown direction. “It is believed that an additional suspect was injured during the incident due to a trail of blood located during the investigation,” LAPD officials said. A vehicle believed to have been used during the crime was recovered, police confirmed.

Some neighbors told KTLA they’re concerned about the incident, but are not surprised. “We’ve been having burglaries every day in this neighborhood,” said Pat Walsh, a resident. “So I’m not surprised at all. It’s been a real problem. Residents here are fed up.” Other neighbors, although concerned, were glad the victims were not harmed or killed. “The suspects messed with the wrong homeowner,” said a neighbor, who did not wish to be identified.

“So hopefully this will stop them. It makes me feel good that people are able to protect their homes and stop these guys.” Over the past several months, residents in Granada Hills and the San Fernando Valley have been targeted in a string of “dinnertime burglaries,” with burglars breaking into homes when residents are believed to be out to dinner. No officers or other community members were injured.
https://ktla.com/news/local-news/homeow ... -invasion/

Granada Hills is in San Fernando Valley north of downtown LA. Now it's up to the LA County DA to determine if it was a legal shoot.

The homeowner was handcuffed like a common criminal along with another male who was in the house.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Homeowner shoots, kills suspect during home invasion"

sikacz wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:23 pm I’d say using a term “suspect” is a bit too generous toward the perps. They were in the house and engage in the action of home invasion.
Yes, 3-4 armed masked men invaded his house around 4 am in the morning with two vulnerable people in the house, he was protecting his family. It looks like a working class neighborhood with older homes that are well maintained. I doubt you'd see a homeowner who killed an intruder in Beverly Hills, Malibu, Pacific Palisades...or other wealthy areas handcuffed on the street in his sleeping clothes. All the news articles quote neighbors who are mad about the constant burglaries that has now escalated into a home invasion.
A homeowner shot and killed a home invasion suspect in Los Angeles early Saturday morning while a grandmother and toddler were in the house in the fifth such crime reported in the area in the space of 10 days.
LAPD Valley Bureau Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton said that the investigation is ongoing and that it's up to the District Attorney's Office if charges will be filed in the case. 'Anyone inside their residence that is faced with a deadly threat and is perceived as a deadly threat has the right to protect themselves,' Hamilton said.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Hills.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I grew up next to Granada Hills and my family owned a small business there in a strip mall. It was always a very good, clean neighborhood. Not known in my time to have any sort of gangs. I’ve been back there recently and it looks rather similar if somewhat aged by the pandemic and subsequent slower economy.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:11 pm 4 fucking armed intruders and they cuff the resident? On what grounds? Oh, right. California.

As a CCW holder, if I ever have to use a firearm outside of my home, I fully expect to be arrested. But in my home against 4 armed intruders? That's some bullshit.
Agree, this is pure BS.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Similar photos in all the news media of the homeowner cuffed, probably some stringers out early who sold the photos to newspapers and TV stations. LAPD should be ashamed, let the guy get dressed, take him in for questioning, but he's also experienced trauma being confronted by four armed men. I strongly doubt we'd see the same picture if the homeowner/shooter was female, they wouldn't have her cuffed on the street in her sleeping clothes.

Hopefully LAPD got prints from the black BMW they abandoned, it was probably stolen. It's LA County so homes in those nice older neighborhoods like Granada Hills now sell for $800,000. to over $1,000,000.

sikacz wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:30 am Just shows that California authorities view gun owners as criminals that have to prove their innocence.
Yes in California the gun grabbers see every gun owner as a potential criminal, so treat gun owners as guilty even though under our system of laws they are innocent until proven guilty.
The presumption of innocence is not guaranteed in the U.S. Constitution. However, through statutes and court decisions–such as the U.S. Supreme Court case of Taylor v. Kentucky–it has been recognized as one of the most basic requirements of a fair trial.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/presump ... _innocence

Yes police have to interview the homeowner/shooter, but let him get dressed first. And the grandmother and toddler were standing on the street, temps there are in the low 50s early in the morning, it's not summer. The house and yard are a crime scene, but the family aren't criminals.

In LA County at least with officer involved shootings, the investigations and the DA's final decision seem to move at glacial speed. Hope the homeowner has a lawyer or maybe gun insurance with a lawyer.

The homeowner is probably concerned that the burglars could return because he killed one of theirs and wounded one or more of them. Hope LAPD is smart enough to post a unit outside the residence until the perps are apprehended. And hope the homeowner has other guns, because his handgun is in some evidence locker until the DA releases it.

The deceased perp was identified by the medical examiner as 20 year old Abednegro Adre of Inglewood, CA.