Contra Costa County CCW application prohibits SAOs, optics, mods...

...and requires listing of only 2 handguns.

It is under "WEAPONS."
https://www.cocosheriff.org/how-do-i/ap ... ccw-permit
https://archive.is/xUQIX

No idea how long this has been the case and which of those requirements, if any, come from the state.
sbɐɯ ʎʇıɔɐdɐɔ pɹɐpuɐʇs ɟo ןןnɟ ǝɟɐs
ɯɯ6 bdd ɹǝɥʇןɐʍ
13ʞ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ 1ɐ4ɯ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- ɯoɔos0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
"ǝuıqɹɐɔ ʇuǝɯǝɔɹoɟuǝ ʍɐן sʇןoɔ" dɯɐʇsןןoɹ --- 0269ǝן ʇןoɔ
(béɟ) 59-pɯɐ

Re: Contra Costa County CCW application prohibits SAOs, optics, mods...

I thought it was a CA regulation that specified only 3 firearms could be listed on a license to carry, but apparently it's set locally by each sheriff. My county has a limit of 3 that can be listed on the license.
Currently, the Orange County and San Diego County Sheriff’s Departments allow their licensees to list an unlimited number of firearms on their CCWs. Ventura County will allow licensees to list up to 5 guns and Los Angeles County will allow 3 guns. Los Angeles and Ventura also restrict licensees to adding new guns to their permit only at the time of the initial permit issuance or when the permit comes up for renewal. Orange County and San Diego County will allow gun add-ons at any time. There is a nominal fee the sheriff will charge in order to amend the license because it must be reprinted.
https://californiagunpermit.com/product/gun-add-on/

Good catch DM.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Eris wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:35 pm Wait. So if you want to get a new carry gun in California you have to get a new permit too? That's absurd.
You need to quality with any gun you want listed on your permit. So, new gun means new qualification. Sheriffs can determine how many you may list and what modifications they'll allow. Some even mandate certain calibers. Yeah, it's absurd.

CA with all its high tech computer and tracking systems, still issues paper CCW licenses. From the San Diego County Sheriff's website:
When you are issued your CCW, you will receive a plastic card and a paper card (FD4501). The State of California Department of Justice has only approved the FD4501. The plastic card will fit nicely in your wallet but is NOT the official CCW. Only the FD4501 (paper card) is recognized and accepted as the official CCW.
Example from Ventura County.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

F4FEver wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:25 am As an aside, I don't really get a 'carry rotation', except maybe for clothes, and weather. I choose between 2 but some I know have a quiver of 4-5 they choose from.
BUT, not sure what the above would 'do'. I DO like some sort of 'qualification' tho. Actual knowledge rather than the BS rubber stamp I had to pay for...that was a joke, for my CCWP.
I don't have a problem with a qualification that shows you can hit a target and operate a handgun safely. I do have a problem with the other arbitrary bullshit.

highdesert wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:11 am
CDFingers wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:42 am The slippery slope might end at the only permitted gun is a hammerless .38 snubbie. Could be worse.

CDFingers
Sounds like Mexico where the only two approved calibers are 38 Special and a 380 ACP. No 9 mm or 45 ACP.
Considering my one of my carry pieces is Smith & Wesson 640 I’d be close. Still not going to be a fan of restrictions like these. Once those are imposed getting to none is even easier.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:22 am
CDFingers wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:42 am The slippery slope might end at the only permitted gun is a hammerless .38 snubbie. Could be worse.

CDFingers
Sounds like Mexico where the only two approved calibers are 38 Special and a 380 ACP. No 9 mm or 45 ACP.
Considering my one of my carry pieces is Smith & Wesson 640 I’d be close. Still not going to be a fan of restrictions like these. Once those are imposed getting to none is even easier.
Yup, it will never happen in the US. I have a 38 in hammerless, but it's a S&W with only 5 rounds. Colts are 6 rounds. My small 380 is 8 rounds considering one in the barrel, I have a larger one with 11. Some Beretta's and Browning's hold more rounds. Even a 22lr is deadly in the right hands.

highdesert wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:39 am
sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:22 am

CDFingers
Yup, it will never happen in the US. I have a 38 in hammerless, but it's a S&W with only 5 rounds. Colts are 6 rounds. My small 380 is 8 rounds considering one in the barrel, I have a larger one with 11. Some Beretta's and Browning's hold more rounds. Even a 22lr is deadly in the right hands.
Absolutely true. Dictating what someone uses is just not right. Love my .22 and no doubt they would do damage or even kill. Efforts to do these type of restrictions serve no useful purpose except cause political chaos.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Meanwhile, the bodyguards of the fools responsible for these restrictions are armed to the teeth as if they were the Infantry....

As I recall, there was a California gun control law a few years ago that the police unions there bitterly opposed...until the legislators wrote in an exemption for the police. Then the opposition dried up like drops of water in a Death Valley summer.

Here in VA, we don't have such stupid restrictions. You get a Concealed Handgun Permit, you can carry anything that's legal to carry, which is as it should be.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:32 pm Meanwhile, the bodyguards of the fools responsible for these restrictions are armed to the teeth as if they were the Infantry....

As I recall, there was a California gun control law a few years ago that the police unions there bitterly opposed...until the legislators wrote in an exemption for the police. Then the opposition dried up like drops of water in a Death Valley summer.

Here in VA, we don't have such stupid restrictions. You get a Concealed Handgun Permit, you can carry anything that's legal to carry, which is as it should be.
Yup, law enforcement here in CA gets almost everything they want from state elected officials. Democrats have criticized Republicans for years for being lapdogs for law enforcement, but CA Democrats are worse, they salivate for endorsements. In CA that's the chiefs' and sheriffs' state organizations, the police and deputy unions can sometimes be a wild card. And LEO groups have big bucks to spread around come election and endorsement time.

I remember when I got my CCW license. I had to get a background check and fingerprints checked by the Texas DPS. Then go to a gun range and shoot a qualifying round and score a certain amount with 15 rounds with my handgun, showing I could handle a gun safely. Then later sit through a course on the legal aspects of CCW where you can carry and where you can’t by law. Also covered other aspects of carry like the consequences of shooting someone. Had our picture taken and later received our CHL in the mail from DPS. The local police/sheriff department didn’t get involved. All handled by state DPS. Now Texas has changed the laws so you don’t need a CHL to carry a gun. The CHL does make it easier to buy a gun you don’t have to go through the background checks anymore show your card and fill out the Form pay the man and get your gun.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

featureless wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:00 am
F4FEver wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:25 am As an aside, I don't really get a 'carry rotation', except maybe for clothes, and weather. I choose between 2 but some I know have a quiver of 4-5 they choose from.
BUT, not sure what the above would 'do'. I DO like some sort of 'qualification' tho. Actual knowledge rather than the BS rubber stamp I had to pay for...that was a joke, for my CCWP.
I don't have a problem with a qualification that shows you can hit a target and operate a handgun safely. I do have a problem with the other arbitrary bullshit.
If that were the case. NOT for my CCW 'training'..mine was a $90 waste of time. Agree, the other stuff does nothing to keep guns outta the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

My course was 15 or so minutes about the mid terms, complete with a red/blue US flag(2018). Another 45 minutes or so about how and why to join the NRA..Another 60 minutes on some beanbag pushing his carry insurance...about 45 minutes of 'info', that was spiced up by the 'instructor' selling these vests with carry pockets(selling them)...waste of time. 30 people, $90 per...nice afternoon for the 'instructor'. Got my little certificate...finger prints, pic, another BGC and $160..good to go.

sig230 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:24 pm The Texas LTC requirement is still a joke but I did have to shoot a 50 round timed course but only out to 15 yards. I took the rules test first online and the shooting part last.
At least it tests your ability to hit a target and it is based on the law enforcement proficiency exam, at least it was when I took it. Although I thought one set was further than 15, but its been awhile.

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:11 pm I remember when I got my CCW license. I had to get a background check and fingerprints checked by the Texas DPS. Then go to a gun range and shoot a qualifying round and score a certain amount with 15 rounds with my handgun, showing I could handle a gun safely. Then later sit through a course on the legal aspects of CCW where you can carry and where you can’t by law. Also covered other aspects of carry like the consequences of shooting someone. Had our picture taken and later received our CHL in the mail from DPS. The local police/sheriff department didn’t get involved. All handled by state DPS. Now Texas has changed the laws so you don’t need a CHL to carry a gun. The CHL does make it easier to buy a gun you don’t have to go through the background checks anymore show your card and fill out the Form pay the man and get your gun.
Sounds similar to my experience except the found count was much higher.

F4FEver wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:09 am
featureless wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:00 am
If that were the case. NOT for my CCW 'training'..mine was a $90 waste of time. Agree, the other stuff does nothing to keep guns outta the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

My course was 15 or so minutes about the mid terms, complete with a red/blue US flag(2018). Another 45 minutes or so about how and why to join the NRA..Another 60 minutes on some beanbag pushing his carry insurance...about 45 minutes of 'info', that was spiced up by the 'instructor' selling these vests with carry pockets(selling them)...waste of time. 30 people, $90 per...nice afternoon for the 'instructor'. Got my little certificate...finger prints, pic, another BGC and $160..good to go.
I've been through 2 16-hour CCW classes (moved counties, so needed a new permit). Both were excellent. Both were taught by LEO or retired LEO. My current was done by the sheriff's office. Both included 8 hours of class and 8 hours of range (including qualification of up to 3 guns). I have no issue with this, but it should be subsidized for those who don't have the money.

But then CA goes and piles a bunch of other useless shit on top, like the above described Contra Costa County "can't haves." Contra Costa was virtually no issue pre-Bruen. Since, they've issued a few but still have hundreds of applications in the pipeline a year later.

CA is in the late stages of passing a new carry law, determined by the legislature to be like, totally consistent with Bruen, that will make virtually everywhere in the state that isn't a public roadways a sensitive place. They failed last year with the same law by one vote due to an "urgency" clause. This year, it will pass. So, everyone that has complied with the law, spent the money and gotten a CCW will have a next to useless permit.

CA is a perfect example of why I am so resistant to these "common sense" gun laws. Something reasonable quickly morphs into something that is way beyond the pale. Our roster is another excellent example, moving from the original drop test to now including technology that doesn't exist in order to be sold in the state. No new models of handguns have been sold here in a decade (unless on the used market as LEO has to make a little scratch from their roster-exempt status, dontchaknow). Don't even get me started on the assault weapon ban bullshit.