VW will bring an electric bus to the US in 2024.

Volkswagen will start selling battery-powered versions of its VW bus in North America from 2024 onwards, the carmaker said on Friday, in what marks the reintroduction of the iconic model after a two-decade hiatus. The introduction of the fully electric ID. Buzz will also include an extra-long version that can seat up to seven passengers and features a larger 85 kilowatt hour (kWh) battery to increase range.

"With the T4 generation, the VW bus left the USA and Canada 20 years ago. But the microbus – as the VW bus is called between New York and San Francisco – has retained its cult status right up to the present day," Volkswagen said in a statement.

All ID. Buzz vehicles for the North American market will be built at Volkswagen's plant in Hanover, Germany, the company said, adding batteries could be charged from 10%-80% in 25 minutes at available rapid charging stations.
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 023-06-02/

A review. Even though it's "stretched" it seems small.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: VW will bring an electric bus to the US in 2024.

from BBC in 2015
It's been dubbed the "diesel dupe". In September, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) found that many VW cars being sold in America had a "defeat device" - or software - in diesel engines that could detect when they were being tested, changing the performance accordingly to improve results. The German car giant has since admitted cheating emissions tests in the US.
FUCK them forever!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-34324772
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hiker wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:21 pm from BBC in 2015
It's been dubbed the "diesel dupe". In September, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) found that many VW cars being sold in America had a "defeat device" - or software - in diesel engines that could detect when they were being tested, changing the performance accordingly to improve results. The German car giant has since admitted cheating emissions tests in the US.
FUCK them forever!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-34324772
Yup VW lied on emissions data. They were fined $2..5 billion in the US, the also got fined in the EU and the head of VW lost his job. Hyundai and KIA both lied on gas mileage, they got fined a mild $100 million.
Last edited by highdesert on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I know, the original people of Volkswagen are long dead, but it's worth remembering that Ferdinand Porsche was a Nazi.

Some friends have a very nice VW car, and it (like several others I know of) is plagued with electrical problems.

The only things I would change about my twenty-year-old Pontiac Vibe would be its trailer capacity (up from *none* to at least being able to manage a 5X8 U-Haul trailer comfortably) and how long I can keep it running into the future.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

....and I want one of these *SOOOOO* Bad. I'm driving a 22 YO Ford E150 that is literally needing to go away now but I'm done buying fossil fuel automobiles and electric is just getting there.

Maybe limp the old ford 2 more years. I want another van - I just don't want any more fossil fuel vehicles and this VW offering is tripping my Want big time.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

BearPaws wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:34 pm I know, the original people of Volkswagen are long dead, but it's worth remembering that Ferdinand Porsche was a Nazi.
As was Henry Ford. (And many other prominent Americans at the time.)

The approach we are taking in our house. My Subaru Outback is 10 years old and just hit 150k miles. Planning to drive it as long as I can. My wife just bought a new Kia Rio for under $21k out the door. It routinely gets 43 mpg. And small car = less production energy. And no lithium battery. We will likely drive this one forever. I love this car.

Why didn't we go electric? The technology just isn't there for us at this time. Literally YMMV. Also, I had a very interesting discussion with a close family member who is a top engineer at Ford. He is concerned about global environmental change, and he takes a very wide and deep view of the issue. Like the good engineer he is, he is neither pro nor anti electric car -- he is pro whatever will solve the problem of global warming. At this time, he says, he would not buy an electric car because the infrastructure isn't in place to support them. Specifically, charging stations. I countered yeah, but just build more charging stations. His response was, "Cooper, what are you going to connect them to? The grid doesn't have the capacity to move all the energy that is currently being moved by tanker trucks and trains."

At this point, I feel like the main advantage of buying an electric car is to vote with your dollars and say that's what we want for the future. It might be messy and not perfect, and quite likely not as environmentally friendly as we'd like as of yet, but maybe someday. Got to admit, though, that since unrestrained capitalism is what screwed over the planet, I'm fairly certain that we'll continue to screw this up as long as we worship at the capitalist altar.

Anyway, back to the original post. These are crazy cool little electric vans.

I was really hoping that Ford would produce the Transit Connect in electric but it seems that they are cancelling the Transit Connect for the US because their deal to make them in Mexico fell thru. Electric vehicles have a lot of room to grow yet and I'm not certain the eventually they might be replaced by hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

In the short term I *really* love the concept of the VW ID. Buzz.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Good points cooper. I have a small car with an ICE and I can get over 40 mph on the highway, 30s around town. Tesla built a fast charging station in my town, but I'm not buying a Tesla that supports Elon Musk. It's touch and go every summer in CA if the electrical grid can keep our air conditioners operating, at this time I don't see it supporting millions of additional electric vehicles. Many challenges ahead.

Electric is great for getting around town and 200 mile trips. Other than that having be dependent on infrastructure far out where you may have to wait hours to charge up on a trip we may have to change our dependency on the automobile and take mass transit then rent a car when you reach your destination.

I like VW's and had a 74 super beetle when I was going to college.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Heh heh. I had an orange 74 beetle in the 80s. The plug in hybrids are a middle ground option for now.

I suspect there are much larger ways we can reduce emissions as a society. But we're pitting the righteous e-vehicle folks against the internal combustion folks. Don't get me wrong, we need to improve our transportation energy efficiency. But I'm guessing there are much larger things to work on too. Honestly, it's going to require an entire rethinking of how we live.

This is reminiscent of the campaign against littering in the 70s. Give a hoot don't pollute. It was because post-WWII plastics became huge. Much cheaper than glass and other reusable containers. Food used to be served on paper or in an actual restaurant. Then plastic garbage was everywhere, and big corporations were all -- hey, it's your problem. They put money into the give a hoot don't pollute campaign rather than reverting to reusable packaging. So now it's corporate America saying we'll market the shit out of SUVs and trucks for decades, then shame consumers. I call BS. Yeah, we as consumers are to blame too. We are completely complicit.

And I sound like a nut for talking like this because we're all (me included) conditioned to think it's okay for corporations to churn out as much junk as they want, then call it a consumer problem.

In case it's not obvious, in my hiatus from this board I've taken a brand new look at the BS we put up with as a society in the name of the dollar.

cooper wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:52 am Heh heh. I had an orange 74 beetle in the 80s. The plug in hybrids are a middle ground option for now.

I suspect there are much larger ways we can reduce emissions as a society. But we're pitting the righteous e-vehicle folks against the internal combustion folks. Don't get me wrong, we need to improve our transportation energy efficiency. But I'm guessing there are much larger things to work on too. Honestly, it's going to require an entire rethinking of how we live.

This is reminiscent of the campaign against littering in the 70s. Give a hoot don't pollute. It was because post-WWII plastics became huge. Much cheaper than glass and other reusable containers. Food used to be served on paper or in an actual restaurant. Then plastic garbage was everywhere, and big corporations were all -- hey, it's your problem. They put money into the give a hoot don't pollute campaign rather than reverting to reusable packaging. So now it's corporate America saying we'll market the shit out of SUVs and trucks for decades, then shame consumers. I call BS. Yeah, we as consumers are to blame too. We are completely complicit.

And I sound like a nut for talking like this because we're all (me included) conditioned to think it's okay for corporations to churn out as much junk as they want, then call it a consumer problem.

In case it's not obvious, in my hiatus from this board I've taken a brand new look at the BS we put up with as a society in the name of the dollar.
Well said - *WaY!* past time to start rethinking how we live and where we go from here. High time we stopped letting Capitalism (the brand of rabid/fascist Capitalism we currently have) make the choices for the Future. When the only tool you have is money, and the only solution in the Tool Box is *MoRe!*, then tomorrow becomes just like today except with more money. We have bigger problems than money.

VooDoo

Wife and I both have a Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. Mine is a 2019 XSE and hers is a 2020 XSE. She liked mine so well she traded in her Honda Accord Hybrid for it. Due to the lack of infrastructure for the EVs at this time we went for the Hybrids. The RAV4 Prime wasn't out when I bought my RAV4 and the pricing for one in 2020 was way more than what she paid for her RAV4. I had driven hybrids for years and the engineering has improved over the years. I see the Hybrid such as the RAV4 Prime being the best of both worlds. It has a large battery for going a greater distance, can also be charged like a pure EV, but can also be driven like a ICE when the battery gets low and no charging area also while driving using the ICE, it charges the battery. I routinely get 39-40 MPG with a range of 450 to 500 miles on a full tank of gas.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,