How to tell that your encounter with law enforcement is going to escalate from the first words spoken

Sometimes, an officer of the law is just dead set on escalating an encounter to the use of force, regardless of the response, based on bodycam footaage.
Car stops that result in a search, handcuffing, or arrest are nearly three times more likely to begin with the police officer issuing a command, such as "Keep your hands on the wheel" or "Turn the car off."
"There are stark racial differences in who is stopped and who's not," says Meares, who points out that in the one-month period covered by this study, the city's police officers did 588 stops of Black drivers and only 262 stops of white drivers.

Over 15 % of Black drivers experienced an escalated outcome such as a search, handcuffing, or arrest, while less than 1% of white drivers experienced one of those outcomes.
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/29/11782793 ... ats-to-com

The article is worth the read. Compliance does not guarantee survival.

Re: How to tell that your encounter with law enforcement is going to escalate from the first words spoken

A quote from the article:
"In this country, we know much more about fearing Black people than the fears of Black people," says Eberhardt.

In short, every Black person is going to be apprehensive in every encounter with a cop.

As a non-cop, I find it a reasoned assumption that the cop will escalate, lie, and be abusive. There isn't enough pattern of behavior to suggest otherwise. And I'm white. I can but imagine how my Black friends and neighbors feel.

Call it profiling, call it whatever else you like. There are reasons aplenty for YouTube channels like Audit the Audit, Lackluster, We the People University, etc.

And police departments seem insistent on NOT learning from these channels.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: How to tell that your encounter with law enforcement is going to escalate from the first words spoken

BearPaws wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:12 am As a non-cop, I find it a reasoned assumption that the cop will escalate, lie, and be abusive. There isn't enough pattern of behavior to suggest otherwise.

Call it profiling, call it whatever else you like. There are reasons aplenty for YouTube channels like Audit the Audit, Lackluster, We the People University, etc.

And police departments seem insistent on NOT learning from these channels, or taking the awful tactics and strategies as lessons for how they should act.
I agree..YT is full of now full of encounters by ignorant, abusive, mostly white and male, cops. Many with the cop terrorist patch.
RC1709-2.jpg
RC1709-2.jpg (42 KiB) Viewed 204 times

F4FEver wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:19 am
BearPaws wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:12 am As a non-cop, I find it a reasoned assumption that the cop will escalate, lie, and be abusive. There isn't enough pattern of behavior to suggest otherwise.

And police departments seem insistent on NOT learning from these channels, or taking the awful tactics and strategies as lessons for how they should act.
I agree..YT is full of now full of encounters by ignorant, abusive, mostly white and male, cops. Many with the cop terrorist patch.

RC1709-2.jpg
Or this variant:
pedo phlag.jpg
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.