Investigators detail years of alleged misconduct by Texas AG Ken Paxton in stunning House committee hearing

A Texas House committee heard stunning testimony from investigators Wednesday over allegations of a yearslong pattern of misconduct and questionable actions by Attorney General Ken Paxton, the result of a probe the committee had secretly authorized in March.

In painstaking and methodical detail in a rare public forum, four investigators for the House General Investigating Committee testified that they believe Paxton broke numerous state laws, misspent office funds and misused his power to benefit a friend and political donor.

Their inquiry focused first on a proposed $3.3 million agreement to settle a whistleblower lawsuit filed by four high-ranking deputies who were fired after accusing Paxton of accepting bribes and other misconduct.

Committee Chair Andrew Murr said the payout, which the Legislature would have to authorize, would also prevent a trial at which evidence of Paxton’s alleged misdeeds would be presented publicly. Committee members questioned, in essence, if lawmakers were being asked to participate in a cover-up.
In this case, it could recommend the House censure or impeach Paxton — a new threat to an attorney general who has for years survived scandals and been reelected twice despite securities fraud charges in 2015 and news of a federal investigation into the whistleblowers’ claims in 2020.

Erin Epley, lead counsel for the investigating committee, said the inquiry also delved into the whistleblowers’ allegations by conducting multiple interviews with employees of Paxton’s agency — many of whom expressed fears of retaliation by Paxton if their testimony were to be revealed — as well as the whistleblowers and others with pertinent information.
Minutes into the hearing, Paxton called into a Dallas radio show and blasted the investigation as unprecedented. As for the settlement, Paxton told host Mark Davis that his office always knew it would be the Legislature’s decision whether to authorize taxpayer money for it, adding that he was shocked the Republican-controlled House has not.
Long article with just some of the dirt on Paxton.https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/24 ... ion-texas/

Maybe Paxton will file a lawsuit in Federal Court where his batting average is close to zero hits and wins.

BTW he is still under indictment for securities fraud in Collin County.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Investigators detail years of alleged misconduct by Texas AG Ken Paxton in stunning House committee hearing

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:55 pm Paxton's response? To claim the Speaker appeared drunk and "must" resign, even though Dem House members said he wasn't.
Nick Anderson, the political cartoonist, used to live sort-of near me in Louisville Kentucky. I encountered him a couple times on bicycle rides. Last I heard, he lives in Houston. He has continued to put out good work, including this panel:
Paxton.jpg
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: Investigators detail years of alleged misconduct by Texas AG Ken Paxton in stunning House committee hearing

The Texas House impeached Paxton, the Texas Trib details all 20 articles of impeachment. Looks like a thorough investigation.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/25 ... peachment/

How impeachment works in Texas.
https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/25 ... en-paxton/

Paxton's wife is a Texas state senator, will she recuse herself? Will the senate make her do it?
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politi ... 120204.php
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sig230 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 8:23 am Since the session is about to end and the people that would have to call the Legislature back into session are all Paxton supporters I am not confident this will ever even reach the Senate.
Yup, we'll see if the Three Stooges stand together or if they part ways.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Just saw part of Paxton’s rebuttal on TV. He is blaming all his problems on the Democrats, even though it is the Repugs in the Texas House that scheduled the hearing and vote for tomorrow. Paxton and a spokesman for him sounded like they had TOS as a coach for what he should be doing.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Paxton is telling his supporters to protest today at the state Capitol while the TX House debates and votes on the bill of impeachment. While I'm sure Democrats will vote to impeach Paxton, the whole investigation and impeachment are driven by fellow Republicans who find Paxton an embarrassment to their party. A lot of eyes will be on the Texas Capitol today.
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/26/11785502 ... llegations

If he is impeached I'll be shocked. This state is no longer able to do much of anything good, if any at all. The majority supports a traitor for POTUS plus two seditious senators and Paxton crimes don't come anywhere near that of turds. I expect Paxton to skate if impeachment makes it to the senate. Texas is bright crimson red. No Dem will win any state wide vote for the foreseeable future. SATX, Austin, Houston are like hemorrhoids to the state and Houston has just been ligated by the legislators.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

If the house votes for impeachment and it goes to the Texas senate for the vote to convict. It will be interesting how his wife, Sen. Angela Paxton will vote, since it came out that Ken Paxton had a mistress.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:06 am I'm guessing the House will vote to impeach, but I have NO idea if there's any chance the Senate will convict. I guess it will depend on how strong the public reaction is against Paxton.
Obviously majority of public Texas doesn't care or this criminal would not have been reelected last year. Granted George P. Bush wasn't a popular opponent even though he took a dump on his family to support turd thinking that would put him over the hump - got his ass kicked and sold his soul - not that the little shit had one.. G.P. Bush has the personality of most male Bushes - wet and limp dishrag - kinda like DeSantis.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Texas AG Ken Paxton impeached, suspended from duties pending outcome of Senate trial

In a history-making late-afternoon vote, a divided Texas House chose Saturday to impeach Attorney General Ken Paxton, temporarily removing him from office over allegations of misconduct that included bribery and abuse of office.

The vote to adopt the 20 articles of impeachment was 121-23.

Attention next shifts to the Texas Senate, which will conduct a trial with senators acting as jurors and designated House members presenting their case as impeachment managers.

Permanently removing Paxton from office and barring him from holding future elected office in Texas would require the support of two-thirds of senators.

The move to impeach came less than a week after the House General Investigating Committee revealed that it was investigating Paxton for what members described as a yearslong pattern of misconduct and questionable actions that include bribery, dereliction of duty and obstruction of justice. They presented the case against him Saturday, acknowledging the weight of their actions.
Full article: https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/2 ... y-general/

Well we can hope the Texas Senate will do the correct thing and convict him. Then we can go have a beer. :beer2:

Trump and Cruz came out in support of Paxton today, they got a slap down by the Texas House.
Gov. Greg Abbott has not said anything publicly about the impeachment effort. His office has not responded to multiple requests from The News for comment this week.

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick has said senators will take their duty as jury seriously if Paxton is impeached and they have to hold a trial to determine whether to remove him from office.
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politic ... -to-begin/
“No one person should be above the law, least not the top law enforcement officer of the state of Texas,” Rep. David Spiller, a Republican member of the committee that investigated Paxton, said in opening statements. Rep. Ann Johnson, a Democratic member, told lawmakers that Texas’ “top cop is on the take.” Rep. Charlie Geren, a Republican committee member, said without elaborating that Paxton had called lawmakers and threatened them with political “consequences.” As the articles of impeachment were laid out, some of the lawmakers shook their heads.
https://apnews.com/article/texas-attorn ... 1a53765c45

I haven't seen a partisan breakdown but I agree Wino most Republicans had to have voted to impeach Paxton. 150 seats in the House, 85 Republicans and 64 Democrats according to wiki and there could be some who abstained from the vote. Only 23 went on the record supporting Paxton, that is a small number. Paxton is radioactive.

There are 31 seats (R-19/D-12) in the Senate and it takes 21 votes to remove Paxton and permanently bar him from political office. Then it's up to the Texas state bar is he loses his law license.

TrueTexan wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:33 pm I still wonder how will Sen. Angela Paxton vote?
Kinda presume that was a rhetorical questions???

If she doesn't recuse herself (and I doubt she will) she will vote nay.

Wino wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:19 pm I'm stunned!!! Hope the senate can complete the transaction.
Since Paxton's wife is a Republican Senator, who SHOULD recuse herself, you know, being a Republican, just like Clarence Thomas, she'll see NO problem judging her own husband. And being "a good Christian Wife" she'll forgive him for his cheating on her.

I'm figuring, like TOS, even if they found him naked with a live boy and a dead girl, they wouldn't convict him.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The Texas Senate on Sunday was set to begin deliberations to permanently remove from office Attorney General Ken Paxton, a conservative firebrand and ally of former President Donald Trump, who was impeached by the House this weekend over accusations by fellow Republicans of abuse of office.

After hours of debate on Saturday, the House voted 121-23 to impeach Paxton, which immediately suspended him from office awaiting a final decision from the Texas Senate, where his wife, Angela Paxton, is a senator. Both the House and Senate have Republican majorities.

Proceedings are expected to start at 1 p.m. local time on Sunday and Paxton had earlier called for protests at the state Capitol in Austin.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/texas- ... 023-05-28/

Live broadcast link.
https://senate.texas.gov/av-live.php