Federal government and protecting transgender communities

I know some of you have been following what has been happening in many states with laws targeting the transgender communities in states like Florida, Texas and others. The federal government has some power over states as I understand it through for instance the Spending Clause, Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution. Is there a way other than the court system to get states to comply with federal regulations, standards and so on when states create laws that target vulnerable communities? It’s hard for me to understand the apparent inaction considering the devastating effects these laws have. Thoughts?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Federal government and protecting transgender communities

The main thing that the Federal government can do is to tie Federal aid money to implementation of non discrimination policies. The problem with that is tht right now several states are actively choosing to give up Federal aid in order to be "free" to take away the freedom of LGBT people. I can't provide any examples off the top of my head because it's not an easy thing to search the internet for - too many generic search terms mean the results aren't very focused.

What the government could do, and so far is not doing, is using the DoJ to investigate states for civil rights violations. I'd like to see the Federal government take some of these states to court.

One thing, one kind of mild and tepid thing if you ask me, that the admin is doing is they have approved a new DoE rule making it harder, though still not imposible, for states to ban transgender atheletes from competing on school teams of their correct gender.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/05/her ... orts-bans/

But this is addressing what is really the most minor concern. The health care bans and drag bans are still moving full steam ahead with no response from the administration.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:39 pm The main thing that the Federal government can do is to tie Federal aid money to implementation of non discrimination policies. The problem with that is tht right now several states are actively choosing to give up Federal aid in order to be "free" to take away the freedom of LGBT people. I can't provide any examples off the top of my head because it's not an easy thing to search the internet for - too many generic search terms mean the results aren't very focused.

What the government could do, and so far is not doing, is using the DoJ to investigate states for civil rights violations. I'd like to see the Federal government take some of these states to court.

One thing, one kind of mild and tepid thing if you ask me, that the admin is doing is they have approved a new DoE rule making it harder, though still not imposible, for states to ban transgender atheletes from competing on school teams of their correct gender.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/05/her ... orts-bans/

But this is addressing what is really the most minor concern. The health care bans and drag bans are still moving full steam ahead with no response from the administration.
That’s what I thought. The current silence is unforgivable. The sports issue was last year too, if I recall correctly. If the federal government can hurt the purse strings of these states, that action should have been immediate.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:38 pm I know some of you have been following what has been happening in many states with laws targeting the transgender communities in states like Florida, Texas and others. The federal government has some power over states as I understand it through for instance the Spending Clause, Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution. Is there a way other than the court system to get states to comply with federal regulations, standards and so on when states create laws that target vulnerable communities? It’s hard for me to understand the apparent inaction considering the devastating effects these laws have. Thoughts?
Power of the purse but places like florida and texass have been targeting 'vulnerable communities' for how long?
-Women
-non GQP voters
-children
-non white anybody
-LGBTQ+ community

BUT, as they target these communities, they also gladly ignore the Federal government for any 'anti 2A' regulation or law.

Conundrum...For those 2A proponents but also for those who see real attacks on 'vulnerable communities'

It's a political wedge issue right now until we get through the 2024 election. Democrats don't have the votes in Congress to enact federal legislative protections. They can propose new federal rules (regulations) based on existing federal laws, but those can take up to a year or more to propose and then a comment period and finally publishing final rules. Any proposed and existing rules can be challenged in court.

The new state laws seem to vary, some targeted on medical services for gender affirming teens, some on restrictions in the use of Medicaid funds for any transgendered medical services, Medicaid is funded by state and federal money so they can do it. Other state laws have bathroom restrictions. And then they throw in "drag shows" which have nothing to do with it.

Many of these new restrictions are in state and federal courts which is the fastest way to get some resolutions right now.
https://apnews.com/article/restrictions ... 449d239275
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am It's a political wedge issue right now until we get through the 2024 election. Democrats don't have the votes in Congress to enact federal legislative protections. They can propose new federal rules (regulations) based on existing federal laws, but those can take up to a year or more to propose and then a comment period and finally publishing final rules. Any proposed and existing rules can be challenged in court.

The new state laws seem to vary, some targeted on medical services for gender affirming teens, some on restrictions in the use of Medicaid funds for any transgendered medical services, Medicaid is funded by state and federal money so they can do it. Other state laws have bathroom restrictions. And then they throw in "drag shows" which have nothing to do with it.

Many of these new restrictions are in state and federal courts which is the fastest way to get some resolutions right now.
What I don’t like is the federal government/ administration appearing to not even make any moves. It’s as if they feel it’s not politically expedient. I know thing take time, but waiting is not the answer. It’ll always take time even in two years in the mean time you have people’s lives and safety at stake.

sikacz wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:00 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:20 am It's a political wedge issue right now until we get through the 2024 election. Democrats don't have the votes in Congress to enact federal legislative protections. They can propose new federal rules (regulations) based on existing federal laws, but those can take up to a year or more to propose and then a comment period and finally publishing final rules. Any proposed and existing rules can be challenged in court.

What I don’t like is the federal government/ administration appearing to not even make any moves. It’s as if they feel it’s not politically expedient. I know thing take time, but waiting is not the answer. It’ll always take time even in two years in the mean time you have people’s lives and safety at stake.

I agree, the Biden administration isn't being high profile like they are fighting abortion restrictions in states. I'm sure it's a numbers game for them, there are millions and millions of women fighting over abortion restrictions and the transgendered are 0.5% of the population or about 1.3 million. 2024 will likely be a close election no matter who the candidates are and they'll be fighting for every vote so they should pay attention.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-st ... 022-06-10/

The WH released a list on March 31st of ways they're helping the trans community, usual bureaucratic laundry list that gets issued around election time. As I said before, some states just aren't LGBT friendly, but there are a lot of things to consider in relocating to another state.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... americans/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:10 pm
sikacz wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:00 pm

I agree, the Biden administration isn't being high profile like they are fighting abortion restrictions in states. I'm sure it's a numbers game for them, there are millions and millions of women fighting over abortion restrictions and the transgendered are 0.5% of the population or about 1.3 million. 2024 will likely be a close election no matter who the candidates are and they'll be fighting for every vote so they should pay attention.
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/new-st ... 022-06-10/

The WH released a list on March 31st of ways they're helping the trans community, usual bureaucratic laundry list that gets issued around election time. As I said before, some states just aren't LGBT friendly, but there are a lot of things to consider in relocating to another state.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... americans/
Absolutely. Leaving states isn’t always an option. The federal government needs to understand they are the only ones that can stand for people when a state stands against them.

F4FEver wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:26 am
CDFingers wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:04 am All citizens deserve equal protection.

CDFingers
But the 'small government' GOPathetic only see mostly male, white, hetero, and small 'c' christian as those who deserve protection.
That is true. The question in this thread is why aren't the Dems at the federal level doing anything to protect LGBTQ people.

featureless wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:56 am
F4FEver wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:26 am
CDFingers wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:04 am All citizens deserve equal protection.

CDFingers
But the 'small government' GOPathetic only see mostly male, white, hetero, and small 'c' christian as those who deserve protection.
That is true. The question in this thread is why aren't the Dems at the federal level doing anything to protect LGBTQ people.
The 'states' will ignore any Fed law or mandate that protects LGBTQ people, or minorities, or women, or children, or muslims or putnameofnonwhitemalehere.
Just like they ignore gun control laws and mandates. '2A sanctuary cities and counties'...But at the same time, whine about 'sanctuary cities' that protect migrants.
Last edited by F4FEver on Sat May 27, 2023 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

What and how states respond is not a satisfactory explanation for why there has been no clear movement from the current administration. I’m hearing nothing, not even crickets.

That’s a pretty lame response y’all. None of that is a response to the current push in Florida and other states. Typical, check your Google dates, you might need to update your own Google skills. That info is outdated and not addressing the current issues. Any hint of being critical of the current administration is a red flag for some of you.

sikacz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:53 am That’s a pretty lame response y’all. None of that is a response to the current push in Florida and other states. Typical, check your Google dates, you might need to update your own Google skills. That info is outdated and not addressing the current issues. Any hint of being critical of the current administration is a red flag for some of you.
Maybe you should read better. The Fact Sheet is dated Jan, 2023. Try reading all of it.

Also Biden can't really fight off what state legislatures are doing. You siad "nothing" was being done. Just another one your many jabs at the Democrats as always.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

CDFingers wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 pm All Biden can really do is to argue for language of contingency with respect to Fed funding to States. It's a messy system.

CDFingers
Yes, but he should be vocal now and he isn’t. To say nothing or not push resistance now is cowardice. A few mild comments or comments a half a year ago are meaningless. He is not testing the extent to which the federal government can punish states that are blatantly attacking the transgender community.

sikacz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:05 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:18 pm All Biden can really do is to argue for language of contingency with respect to Fed funding to States. It's a messy system.

CDFingers
Yes, but he should be vocal now and he isn’t. To say nothing or not push resistance now is cowardice. A few mild comments or comments a half a year ago are meaningless. He is not testing the extent to which the federal government can punish states that are blatantly attacking the transgender community.
[EDITED BY MODERATOR]

https://youtu.be/xp1LG8YN81g
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 4:17 pm
sikacz wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:05 pm

CDFingers
Again your full of yourself. Your bigoted hatred for the democratic party shows everytime you open your mouth.

https://youtu.be/xp1LG8YN81g
Let me ask you nay sayers this - What are your people doing for LGBTQ? That is if you have a party your affliated with? I have yet to see one. All I hear is whine, bitch and pout.
Ya know I think why you never see anything positive is because yer prolly too busy watching Breitbart, Twitchy and Red State Nazi news. lol