KFF Health Tracking Poll being touted by media, firearm prohibition lobby

From last week.

Per the Kaiser survey:
  • 21% claim to have personally been threatened with a firearm.
  • 19% say a family member was "killed by a gun".
  • 17% have personally witnessed someone being shot.
  • 4% have fired shots in DGUs.
  • 4% have been injured in shootings.
  • 54% of all U.S. adults claim they or a family member have ever had one of these experiences.
https://www.kff.org/other/poll-finding/ ... nd-deaths/

Re: KFF Health Tracking Poll being touted by media, firearm prohibition lobby

KFF - Kaiser Family Foundation conducts their own polling/surveys on health related issues. Henry J Kaiser of Kaiser Steel and Aluminum founded the Kaiser Foundation Hospitals for his employees, they later merged with Permanente Medical Group and Kaiser Permanente is the largest health non-profit in the US.
Four in ten (41%) adults report living in a household with a gun.
That is in line with other polling. Some of the other questions need a lot more clarification.
More than half of parents (61%) say any gun in their homes is stored in the same location as ammunition.
Does that mean the gun is secured and loaded or not secured and loaded or...?
Among parents with guns in their home, about one-third say a gun is stored loaded (32%) or stored in an unlocked location (32%).
Stored doesn't mean it's been secured in some way.

Blacks and Latins are often victims of black on black and Latin on Latin crime, which other studies have pointed out.
More than half of homicide victims are young men, two thirds of whom are black.
It explains why Black and Latin politicians are often anti-gun and lobby Democratic politicians for gun control.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/gun-deaths/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

DispositionMatrix wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:59 am
wooglin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:52 am I have a really hard time believing 1 in 5 Americans have been threatened with a gun, and nearly that many have lost a family member to gun fire. But maybe I live in a cloistered world.
"...among U.S. adults" so 20% might be around 50 million Americans.
Still have a hard time with it. Clearly I need to hang out with a different class of people. :)

It's a self-reporting inventory. They are always unreliable.

The numbers seem really high. I've had a gun pointed at me four times (one was a replica) and in my experience, that is really unusual. All of them were unique and bizarre situations, the only thing they had in common was that I was generally a reckless person.

I've known at least half a dozen people who committed suicide, none of them used guns. No victims of violent crimes where a gun was used, other than police brutality.

I know it's a different world than the one that I grew up in, but I work with people from all ages and all walks of life.

It's possible, but rare, for research involving self-reporting inventories to represent more than a hybrid of junk science and push polls.

Representative government is one thing. Crowdsourcing policy decisions is really a different animal. I don't know why Kaiser FF is doing this, or what they think this means. Usually, KFF has been pretty good-- unlike their hell-spawn, Kaiser Permanente, where a lot of good people work in a really bad system.

How many of those threatened with a gun are involved with law enforcement or veterans/ active duty service personnel that have been in combat situations since serving in WWII or later conflicts?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

wooglin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:12 pm
DispositionMatrix wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:59 am
wooglin wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:52 am I have a really hard time believing 1 in 5 Americans have been threatened with a gun, and nearly that many have lost a family member to gun fire. But maybe I live in a cloistered world.
"...among U.S. adults" so 20% might be around 50 million Americans.
Still have a hard time with it. Clearly I need to hang out with a different class of people. :)
I've been threatened with a gun twice, two different people while I wasn't armed. That shit is never going to happen again.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:42 pm The opinions of 1271 people are pretty small when compared to the millions of Americans who were not asked. Root causes: what makes people want to shoot other people? Fix that, and everyone can have both guns and baseball bats.

Don't forget:

viewtopic.php?t=66612

CDFingers
Agree.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.