Re: Ruger Super Wrangler

Well, this got me where I live! The main reason I chose the RR was the interchangeable .22 Mag cylinder. (And in tungsten cerakote, too, same as Sig's Wrangler.)

And guess what? Barrel's longer than my RR, so I have a justification for buying one later.

I have not lost my taste for rimfire... but after (finally) taking apart my Mark II, cleaning the crap out of it (which it didn't need) and fixing only one of two problems (by changing the mag) I'm blowing a little cool on .22 autos.
Attachments
Ratters Small.jpeg

sig230 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:06 pm So far been happy with my unsuper Wrangler.

Wrangler.jpg
I have an 'original' Wrangler as does my son. OK pistol, doesn't really blow my skirt up. Broke the shell extraction rod..Ruger sent another one. BUT, wish the cylinder 'clicked' when unloading or loading...kinda tough with cold hands to 'find' the 'holes'. I have 3 other revolvers that are much more fun..686+, Beretta/Uberti Thunderer and now Taurus 856....Wrangler doesn't get shot much..Go shooting with two sons..One has a 686+, 4.25 inch..other son Colt Python, Colt Detective Special and now, Colt King Cobra, and Ruger Vaquero..so get my revolver 'fix', in spades.
Last edited by F4FEver on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nice but I'm not a big fan of single action revolvers, I prefer a Ruger Mark I, II and III. They are a bitch to clean, but they are very accurate. I also have S&W and Beretta 22s that are semi auto and pleasant shooters.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:42 am Nice but I'm not a big fan of single action revolvers, I prefer a Ruger Mark I, II and III. They are a bitch to clean, but they are very accurate. I also have S&W and Beretta 22s that are semi auto and pleasant shooters.
After all these years and all those rounds, my Ruger Vaquero .45 Old Model Convertible Single Action Revolver is my favorite hand gun. I'm glad I have others, but it's my fave. It has both LC and acp cylinders for all my .45 needs. Variety remains the spice of gun ownership.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

F4FEver wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:54 am
sig230 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:06 pm So far been happy with my unsuper Wrangler.

Wrangler.jpg
I have an 'original' Wrangler as does my son. OK pistol, doesn't really blow my skirt up. Broke the shell extraction rod..Ruger sent another one. BUT, wish the cylinder 'clicked' when unloading or loading...kinda tough with cold hands to 'find' the 'holes'. I have 3 other revolvers that are much more fun..686+, Beretta/Uberti Thunderer and now Taurs 856....Wrangler doesn't get shot much..Go shooting with two sons..One has a 686+, 4.25 inch..other son Colt Python, Colt Detective Special and now, Colt King Cobra, and Ruger Vaquero..so get my revolver 'fix', in spades.
Ah, yeah, I forgot about the non-indexed cylinder (at least for unloading.) That could be a deal-breaker for me. In my Demented Fantasy Apocalypse Self Defense Scenario, I imagine myself cowering behind a rock with trembling fingers, trying to line up and eject spent cartridges and cram in some fresh ones as my Crackhead Zombie Assailant advances, enraged and full of blood lust after my first six .22 WMR slugs failed to put him all the way down.

We'll see what variants they come up with, and I'll never say never, but for the moment, I'll be holding off the undead with my load-one-skip-one-load-four Brazilian Convertible Rat Gun.

SunRiseWest wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:32 pm
F4FEver wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:54 am

Wrangler.jpg
I have an 'original' Wrangler as does my son. OK pistol, doesn't really blow my skirt up. Broke the shell extraction rod..Ruger sent another one. BUT, wish the cylinder 'clicked' when unloading or loading...kinda tough with cold hands to 'find' the 'holes'. I have 3 other revolvers that are much more fun..686+, Beretta/Uberti Thunderer and now Taurs 856....Wrangler doesn't get shot much..Go shooting with two sons..One has a 686+, 4.25 inch..other son Colt Python, Colt Detective Special and now, Colt King Cobra, and Ruger Vaquero..so get my revolver 'fix', in spades.
Ah, yeah, I forgot about the non-indexed cylinder (at least for unloading.) That could be a deal-breaker for me. In my Demented Fantasy Apocalypse Self Defense Scenario, I imagine myself cowering behind a rock with trembling fingers, trying to line up and eject spent cartridges and cram in some fresh ones as my Crackhead Zombie Assailant advances, enraged and full of blood lust after my first six .22 WMR slugs failed to put him all the way down.

We'll see what variants they come up with, and I'll never say never, but for the moment, I'll be holding off the undead with my load-one-skip-one-load-four Brazilian Convertible Rat Gun.
As an aside, son had an Uberti SA revolver, with firing pin(old school), 45colt and we tried to load one behind the firing pin then smack the hammer with a piece of wood..would not go off...Not smart, I know but.....

Sadly, the Ruger Wrangler is a “Saturday Night Special” under Minnesota law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

7N6Wolf wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:04 am Sadly, the Ruger Wrangler is a “Saturday Night Special” under Minnesota law.

Whoa, that's crazy! These are off roster in CA, legal to purchase, and supply is pretty decent-- you might have to look around a bit, but they are in stock in some stores. What is the criteria that they fail to meet in Minnesota, or is there just some random list?

I've actually been thinking about a Barkeep with the three inch barrel.

It's only an inch and a half shorter in overall length than my Rough Rider, but that does make it considerably more portable, more likely to fit into smaller gun safes for travel, and given the problems I'm having with my Taiurus 942, and how accurate the Rough Rider has proven to be, it's seeming like a more appealing option.

I've always been paranoid about transfer bar safeties, despite hearing from folks who know more than I do that they're really reliable, allow you to carry an extra round under the hammer, etc. However, the 942's erratic time problem may, indeed, have something to do with the added mechanical complexity of the transfer bar. My mental pendulum may swing the other way soon enough, and the 942 may become more reliable with the right ammo, or after breaking in or a trip back to the factory. The light strikes may also turn out to be something else entirely, but one of the advantages of a revolver is mechanical simplicity-- and even with revolvers, maybe the simpler the better.

Anyway, I'm sorry your state is treating you like that. These are not guns you'd rob a bank with-- or that you'd use to participate in an insurrection. They are great guns for non-aggressive purposes, and while people scorn .22s for SD, and there are many problems with that use case scenario, they are safer in some important respects: A shooter who only goes to the range a few times a year is much more likely to hit what they are shooting at.

Pisses me off.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:04 pm Who am I kidding; I probably get one if the retail price is in the high $200s as i expect?
I love Ruger single actions.

I have a Ruger Wrangler with the bird's head grip as a plinker. It's great for my intended purposes. I don't know that my intended purposes would lead to me feeling a "need" for .22WMR, though, and I don't already have a full set of Wranglers. I may have to visit and try yours some time! :roflmao:
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

The state of Minnesota defines a Saturday Night Special as a pistol other than an antique firearm or pistol where the frame, barrel, cylinder, slide or breech lock is composed of any material with a melting point of less than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit; or the pistol has any material having an ultimate tensile strength of less than 55,000 pounds per square inch, or any powdered metal having a density of less than 7.5 grams per cubic centimeter. This laws states that any federally licensed firearms dealer who sells a Saturday Night Special pistol, or any person who manufacturers or assembles a Saturday Night Special pistol in whole or in part, shall be guilty of "a gross misdemeanor." This law was passed in June, 1975.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontlin ... state.html

Apparently the Walther P22 isn't legal in MN, I have a Phoenix Arms 22 pistol that would definitely be illegal and even my SR22 would probably be illegal.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

SunRiseWest wrote:
7N6Wolf wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:04 am Sadly, the Ruger Wrangler is a “Saturday Night Special” under Minnesota law.

Whoa, that's crazy! These are off roster in CA, legal to purchase, and supply is pretty decent-- you might have to look around a bit, but they are in stock in some stores. What is the criteria that they fail to meet in Minnesota, or is there just some random list?

I've actually been thinking about a Barkeep with the three inch barrel.

It's only an inch and a half shorter in overall length than my Rough Rider, but that does make it considerably more portable, more likely to fit into smaller gun safes for travel, and given the problems I'm having with my Taiurus 942, and how accurate the Rough Rider has proven to be, it's seeming like a more appealing option.

I've always been paranoid about transfer bar safeties, despite hearing from folks who know more than I do that they're really reliable, allow you to carry an extra round under the hammer, etc. However, the 942's erratic time problem may, indeed, have something to do with the added mechanical complexity of the transfer bar. My mental pendulum may swing the other way soon enough, and the 942 may become more reliable with the right ammo, or after breaking in or a trip back to the factory. The light strikes may also turn out to be something else entirely, but one of the advantages of a revolver is mechanical simplicity-- and even with revolvers, maybe the simpler the better.

Anyway, I'm sorry your state is treating you like that. These are not guns you'd rob a bank with-- or that you'd use to participate in an insurrection. They are great guns for non-aggressive purposes, and while people scorn .22s for SD, and there are many problems with that use case scenario, they are safer in some important respects: A shooter who only goes to the range a few times a year is much more likely to hit what they are shooting at.

Pisses me off.
highdesert posted the relevant information regarding this. To add insult to injury, a “Red Flag” law was recently passed in Minnesota as well (IMO, this is far worse than any AWB or 10 round magazine limit, as a Smith & Wesson Model 10 that cannot be seized without due process is more useful than an AR-15 that can be seized without due process).

I will probably have to settle for a more expensive Single Six if I want a single-action rimfire revolver from Ruger.

"I have been saying for some time now that America only has one party - the property party. It's the party of big corporations, the party of money. It has two right-wings; one is Democrat and the other is Republican."
-Gore Vidal

FWIW I just stopped by my favorite gun store but they were sold out! haha But there were plenty of regular wranglers including a couple birds head grip ones. Which I'm going out on a limb to say thats the next edition of the super wrangler.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”