Re: 6 dead in Nashville school shooting, the shooter is female.

featureless wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:31 am
sikacz wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:04 am This is just sad. So now they have their potential female shooter. I don’t like the frame that’s developing, nothing about gender dysphoria makes people want to perpetrate violence on others. Yet this will surely be used to reframe gender dysphoria as a mental illness. Not good.
Agree.
I dont know about that. I'm no shrink but I can see some mental health issues with "gender dysphiria".
I would think they get harassed at school a lot by bullies.
Gender dysphoria is a term that describes a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity.

This sense of unease or dissatisfaction may be so intense it can lead to depression and anxiety and have a harmful impact on daily life.
Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness, but some people may develop mental health problems because of gender dysphoria.[/
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:22 am
featureless wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:31 am
sikacz wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:04 am This is just sad. So now they have their potential female shooter. I don’t like the frame that’s developing, nothing about gender dysphoria makes people want to perpetrate violence on others. Yet this will surely be used to reframe gender dysphoria as a mental illness. Not good.
Agree.
I dont know about that. I'm no shrink but I can see some mental health issues with "gender dysphiria".
I would think they get harassed at school a lot by bullies.
Gender dysphoria is a term that describes a sense of unease that a person may have because of a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity.

This sense of unease or dissatisfaction may be so intense it can lead to depression and anxiety and have a harmful impact on daily life.
Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness, but some people may develop mental health problems because of gender dysphoria.[/
In this case, repugs will use it as further "proof" trans identity is the problem, not that anybody can have mental health issues. It's scapegoating trans as the problem rather than recognizing we all need some help sometimes.

Paul Gosar and extremist Republican from AZ peddled the story last year that the Uvalde shooter was trans, he was not. This is from a 2022 article.
As of this writing, there have been 337 mass shootings in the United States this year. Not a single one of them was trans. Between 2018 and 2021, there were 2,064 mass shootings in America. Of those, two were trans. One was a man in the process of transitioning in Aberdeen, Maryland in 2019 who killed four, including himself. The other was a trans teenager in Denver who killed one student and injured eight others at his high school in 2018. The motivation for the shooting was apparently bullying over the shooter’s trans status.

Experts put the American transgender population somewhere around 1.6 percent, or as high as 5 percent for young adults. When it comes to mass shootings since 2018, trans people make up only 0.08 percent of shooters. For comparison, cisgender men commit over 90 percent of all mass shootings.

This scapegoating of trans people in a new twist on an old conservative tactic to shift blame away from guns when mass shootings occur. For the last several years, accusing shooters of being “radical leftist” or antifa has been common. There were memes asserting the political alignment of both the Highland Park shooter and the man who killed eight people in Dayton, Ohio in 2019, including his transgender brother. It’s not true in Highland Park, and the FBI had to debunk the Dayton one thanks to an enthusiastic social media campaign from right-wing media figures like Kellyanne Conway and Andy Ngo.
https://www.houstonpress.com/news/mass- ... s-13743586
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:36 am
As of this writing, there have been 337 mass shootings in the United States this year.
Between 2018 and 2021, there were 2,064 mass shootings in America.
Those sound like Shooting Tracker figures, or the author is using the FBI criteria but including every shooting in which 3 or more are shot, such as those in which police are involved and gang shootings.
...old conservative tactic to shift blame away from guns when mass shootings occur.
Either the reader was meant to miss that part, or the author was just comfortable with the narrative promulgated by the Democratic/media bloc that firearms themselves are to blame for shootings.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:10 am
As of this writing, there have been 337 mass shootings in the United States this year.
Between 2018 and 2021, there were 2,064 mass shootings in America.
Those sound like Shooting Tracker figures, or the author is using the FBI criteria but including every shooting in which 3 or more are shot, such as those in which police are involved and gang shootings.
...old conservative tactic to shift blame away from guns when mass shootings occur.
Either the reader was meant to miss that part, or the author was just comfortable with the narrative promulgated by the Democratic/media bloc that firearms themselves are to blame for shootings.
I questioned those numbers too DM, I should have cut down that quote as I don't agree with everything in that article.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Of course, if there were no guns, there would be no shootings. Naturally that would not happen in America. Thus, the best place for us to work is with the person. We have to develop screening that is both safe and constitutional. Moreover, we have to promote safe storage practices. If we don't get everyone to store safely, laws will be made. Both screenings and safe storage would be supported by a majority of gun owners if the laws were written properly.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:30 am Of course, if there were no guns, there would be no shootings. Naturally that would not happen in America. Thus, the best place for us to work is with the person. We have to develop screening that is both safe and constitutional. Moreover, we have to promote safe storage practices. If we don't get everyone to store safely, laws will be made. Both screenings and safe storage would be supported by a majority of gun owners if the laws were written properly.

CDFingers
Education and addressing the underlying causes. Neither seems high on the dems go to list for solutions.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Biden is flying to Belfast, Northern Ireland today to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the "Good Friday Protocols", that brought an end to the "Irish Troubles". Our battle over firearms is similar to that conflict, that conflict was permeated by hate and mistrust. The pro-gun and anti-gun sides here hate and mistrust each other, which is not a foundation for reducing gun violence.

highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:48 am Biden is flying to Belfast, Northern Ireland today to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the "Good Friday Protocols", that brought an end to the "Irish Troubles". Our battle over firearms is similar to that conflict, that conflict was permeated by hate and mistrust. The pro-gun and anti-gun sides here hate and mistrust each other, which is not a foundation for reducing gun violence.
Agree.
We talk about the detrimental effect money has in politics usually centered on the right wing nuts. Consider that bloomie funds the anti gun movement, how different would the discussion be if his money wasn’t in the equation.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:53 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:48 am Biden is flying to Belfast, Northern Ireland today to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the "Good Friday Protocols", that brought an end to the "Irish Troubles". Our battle over firearms is similar to that conflict, that conflict was permeated by hate and mistrust. The pro-gun and anti-gun sides here hate and mistrust each other, which is not a foundation for reducing gun violence.
Agree.
We talk about the detrimental effect money has in politics usually centered on the right wing nuts. Consider that bloomie funds the anti gun movement, how different would the discussion be if his money wasn’t in the equation.
I agree, money on both sides perpetuates the hate and mistrust and prolongs the conflict. Each side believes that they are absolutely right and the other side is totally wrong, so no room for compromise. Blue states make anti-gun laws and piss on the opposition and red states make pro-gun laws and piss on the opposition. And behind the scenes the big money donors are running it all.

It's much easier and more profitable for the small cadre of billionaires who control the media to rile folks up with this kind of thing rather than allow people publicly to address the tremendous gulf between the top ten percent and the rest of us. To allow that public examination to take place would be to allow the yuge inequalitiest to be addressed in Congress. So ain't gonna happen. Greeders gonna greed until stopped by law. Lately greeders have been winning. Will the youngest generation save the world? Stay tuned to the real life drama.

CDFingers

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:30 pm It's much easier and more profitable for the small cadre of billionaires who control the media to rile folks up with this kind of thing rather than allow people publicly to address the tremendous gulf between the top ten percent and the rest of us. To allow that public examination to take place would be to allow the yuge inequalitiest to be addressed in Congress. So ain't gonna happen. Greeders gonna greed until stopped by law. Lately greeders have been winning. Will the youngest generation save the world? Stay tuned to the real life drama.

CDFingers
So far each generation appears to think it’s smarter than the previous. Technology has advanced, people seem to be pretty much the same. I’m not holding out hope this generation or future ones will all of a sudden take a giant leap forward.

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:30 pm It's much easier and more profitable for the small cadre of billionaires who control the media to rile folks up with this kind of thing rather than allow people publicly to address the tremendous gulf between the top ten percent and the rest of us. To allow that public examination to take place would be to allow the yuge inequalitiest to be addressed in Congress. So ain't gonna happen. Greeders gonna greed until stopped by law. Lately greeders have been winning. Will the youngest generation save the world? Stay tuned to the real life drama.

CDFingers
Nailed it.

sikacz wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:08 am Anything to drive the discussion except the one thing that matters, root causes.
Yet you try to 'drive' this discussion with claims about Trans drugs and the mental health 'issues' with gender dysphoria. Is that a 'root cause' here?
I’m wondering in which direction the individual was transitioning to and hormones they might have been on? Was this an assigned female at birth on hormone replacement therapy with testosterone? Medical history since parents were of the opinion that they should not have had access to guns. I’m wondering why?
Since this case has possible medical treatment issues I would like to understand if there was a way to prevent this individual from going down this path.
nothing about gender dysphoria makes people want to perpetrate violence on others. Yet this will surely be used to reframe gender dysphoria as a mental illness. Not good.
Yet, you implied it did...

F4FEver wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:47 am
sikacz wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:08 am Anything to drive the discussion except the one thing that matters, root causes.
Yet you try to 'drive' this discussion with claims about Trans drugs and the mental health 'issues' with gender dysphoria. Is that a 'root cause' here?
I’m wondering in which direction the individual was transitioning to and hormones they might have been on? Was this an assigned female at birth on hormone replacement therapy with testosterone? Medical history since parents were of the opinion that they should not have had access to guns. I’m wondering why?
Since this case has possible medical treatment issues I would like to understand if there was a way to prevent this individual from going down this path.
Those are certainly root cause issues when the social system ostracizes and discriminates against such individuals.

Today, the greatest emerging threat in the US is the active support for imposing the Christian Cult of Ignorance and Deceit moral standards universally.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sikacz wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:46 am
CDFingers wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:15 am Some unknown person's medical care and decisions are no business of mine, nor of the government's unless there's money involved. Then, there are laws.

CDFingers
Exactly.
Money and laws. Who knew?

If you didn't, now you do.

Keep calm and carry. On.

CDFingers

sikacz wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:44 am
CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:30 am Of course, if there were no guns, there would be no shootings. Naturally that would not happen in America. Thus, the best place for us to work is with the person. We have to develop screening that is both safe and constitutional. Moreover, we have to promote safe storage practices. If we don't get everyone to store safely, laws will be made. Both screenings and safe storage would be supported by a majority of gun owners if the laws were written properly.

CDFingers
Education and addressing the underlying causes. Neither seems high on the dems go to list for solutions.
Not is it on any GOPathetic agenda. What IS on the GOPathetic agenda is hate, violence, racism, christian nationalism, homophobia, authoritarianism, taking women's rights away, burning books...but yup, they sure like the 2A...Show me ONE example where any GOP cares ANYTHING about 'root causes'? About education or underlying causes?

sig230 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:56 am
F4FEver wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:47 am
Those are certainly root cause issues when the social system ostracizes and discriminates against such individuals.

Maybe but the post was below implying that the hormones made her crazy...which is BS...
I’m wondering in which direction the individual was transitioning to and hormones they might have been on? Was this an assigned female at birth on hormone replacement therapy with testosterone?
Today, the greatest emerging threat in the US is the active support for imposing the Christian Cult of Ignorance and Deceit moral standards universally.