Re: Heading in for surgery!

Hell, I have to have a procedure Monday: A trans-esophageal ultrasound echocardiogram. It's a cross between an endoscopy and an echo. I have a leaky aortic valve and the doc wants a better image. Luckily, he says my heart is perfect....now (except for the valve). Valve replacement like stent placement is FAR less invasive and safer now--they don't have to rip your chest open, just go up an artery in your groin. Not looking forward to THAT if I can avoid it!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:56 pm Hell, I have to have a procedure Monday: A trans-esophageal ultrasound echocardiogram. It's a cross between an endoscopy and an echo. I have a leaky aortic valve and the doc wants a better image. Luckily, he says my heart is perfect....now (except for the valve). Valve replacement like stent placement is FAR less invasive and safer now--they don't have to rip your chest open, just go up an artery in your groin. Not looking forward to THAT if I can avoid it!
Sounds unpleasant. May it go well and rest up! Any procedure is stressful in my opinion.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:21 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:56 pm Hell, I have to have a procedure Monday: A trans-esophageal ultrasound echocardiogram. It's a cross between an endoscopy and an echo. I have a leaky aortic valve and the doc wants a better image. Luckily, he says my heart is perfect....now (except for the valve). Valve replacement like stent placement is FAR less invasive and safer now--they don't have to rip your chest open, just go up an artery in your groin. Not looking forward to THAT if I can avoid it!
Sounds unpleasant. May it go well and rest up! Any procedure is stressful in my opinion.
I agree with sika, wishing you all the best with that procedure. I avoid physicians/surgeons as much as possible, they give me too much stress. :)
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:25 am
I agree with sika, wishing you all the best with that procedure. I avoid physicians/surgeons as much as possible, they give me too much stress. :)
Thank you, guys. I'm not particularly worried or stressed. I've had at least a half-dozen endoscopies over the last 22 years--maybe more than that. This should be no different. More concerned about the results....

My lovely, petite wife of 35+ years always says "They see you as this big strong healthy guy, but they don't realize you're more fragile and sensitive to medications than you look!" It's depressingly true. I have bones like reinforced concrete--and joints like wet tissue paper.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:31 am
highdesert wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:25 am
Thank you, guys. I'm not particularly worried or stressed. I've had at least a half-dozen endoscopies over the last 22 years--maybe more than that. This should be no different. More concerned about the results....

My lovely, petite wife of 35+ years always says "They see you as this big strong healthy guy, but they don't realize you're more fragile and sensitive to medications than you look!" It's depressingly true. I have bones like reinforced concrete--and joints like wet tissue paper.
None of us are exactly as we appear. We take the best we can until it’s over. I was amazed none of my bones broke, the connections went! LoL. I’ll be pulling for you!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

So....I had the Trans-esophageal echocardiagram on Monday. My leaky aortic valve has gotten much worse and my left ventricle has stretched/grown to compensate which is why my BP and pulse remain good. Luckily, no calcification is seen. Next is ANOTHER procedure, a cardiac catheter scan to ensure I don't need bypass surgery--while my cardiologist is 100% sure there won't be an issue, NO responsible cardio-vascular surgeon will operate without that scan--and I don't blame them. So I'm waiting for that to be scheduled and, hopefully, early next week.

The bottom line is: The valve must be replaced in the next 2-3 months if I'm to retain the heart function I have, which is nearly, but not quite 100%, and even to return to 100% as the rest of my heart and my general health is excellent. Unfortunately, given my condition, the most likely BEST operation is open heart surgery, to get a solid valve replacement, and not via catheter up an artery, because it has to be sewn in.

I had my "pity party" feeling sorry for myself the next morning but I'm over it. What has to be done, has to be done, and that's all there is to it. My sons also had to have their own "pity parties", each, but they, too, are over it. My younger just turned 18 and it him really hard, terrifying him, as he internalizes a lot. I've reassured him I'm going to be OK, not going to die (yet), and his need knocked any residual self-pity out of me. He's a great kid, just got admitted to 2 of the colleges he applied to, both offering fat merit scholarships, awaiting the others, so it's an exciting time for him. But I AM an older dad, being 67 to his 18 (he was born in Central America and we adopted him as an infant) so the fear of losing me is very real--but I'm not ready to go!

His older brother had a different way of reacting, though he was just as terrified. He's nearly 28, and a law clerk in LA County. His response is asking questions at a machine gun rate and getting a bit angry. He, too, has calmed down and put his fear into research, which is helpful.

I talked to one brother last night and will talk to my other brother shortly--they need to know, too.

Thanks for all your support!
YT

Been there, done that! Hang in there and wishes for best results. Wear the gown and stay healthy - that goes for all of youse guys & gals !!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:01 am So....I had the Trans-esophageal echocardiagram on Monday. My leaky aortic valve has gotten much worse and my left ventricle has stretched/grown to compensate which is why my BP and pulse remain good. Luckily, no calcification is seen. Next is ANOTHER procedure, a cardiac catheter scan to ensure I don't need bypass surgery--while my cardiologist is 100% sure there won't be an issue, NO responsible cardio-vascular surgeon will operate without that scan--and I don't blame them. So I'm waiting for that to be scheduled and, hopefully, early next week.

The bottom line is: The valve must be replaced in the next 2-3 months if I'm to retain the heart function I have, which is nearly, but not quite 100%, and even to return to 100% as the rest of my heart and my general health is excellent. Unfortunately, given my condition, the most likely BEST operation is open heart surgery, to get a solid valve replacement, and not via catheter up an artery, because it has to be sewn in.

I had my "pity party" feeling sorry for myself the next morning but I'm over it. What has to be done, has to be done, and that's all there is to it. My sons also had to have their own "pity parties", each, but they, too, are over it. My younger just turned 18 and it him really hard, terrifying him, as he internalizes a lot. I've reassured him I'm going to be OK, not going to die (yet), and his need knocked any residual self-pity out of me. He's a great kid, just got admitted to 2 of the colleges he applied to, both offering fat merit scholarships, awaiting the others, so it's an exciting time for him. But I AM an older dad, being 67 to his 18 (he was born in Central America and we adopted him as an infant) so the fear of losing me is very real--but I'm not ready to go!

His older brother had a different way of reacting, though he was just as terrified. He's nearly 28, and a law clerk in LA County. His response is asking questions at a machine gun rate and getting a bit angry. He, too, has calmed down and put his fear into research, which is helpful.

I talked to one brother last night and will talk to my other brother shortly--they need to know, too.

Thanks for all your support!
YT
Medicine and surgery are revolutionary, but genes play a big part in how long we're around plus how well we take care of ourselves. You're located in an area with world class physicians and hospitals, plus your wife is in an occupation that has a lot of connections. At 18 and 28, your sons are generally around very healthy people, plus it's always scary when it's a parent in bad health. I was 29 when my father died and 32 when my mother died so I understand them.

All the best YT !
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Best wishes to you. Over the years I was nursing things have improved again and again each year. Now open heart surgery is still a major operation but not as serious as it was years ago. It's not outpatient surgery yet, but you will be home before you know it. You will have this scar, so that you can wear you shirt unbuttoned, so part of it shows and when people look at it you can say,"You should have seen the other guy."
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

highdesert wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:51 am
Medicine and surgery are revolutionary, but genes play a big part in how long we're around plus how well we take care of ourselves. You're located in an area with world class physicians and hospitals, plus your wife is in an occupation that has a lot of connections. At 18 and 28, your sons are generally around very healthy people, plus it's always scary when it's a parent in bad health. I was 29 when my father died and 32 when my mother died so I understand them.

All the best YT !
Thanks, HD!

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:32 am Best wishes to you. Over the years I was nursing things have improved again and again each year. Now open heart surgery is still a major operation but not as serious as it was years ago. It's not outpatient surgery yet, but you will be home before you know it. You will have this scar, so that you can wear you shirt unbuttoned, so part of it shows and when people look at it you can say,"You should have seen the other guy."
Hah! I already have BIG scars on each ass cheek from hip replacements. What's one more scar?
"The other guy had a knife!"

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:57 am During my personal pity party I was saying to myself: "I'm too young to be this old!!"
We all think that way as I'm 72 headed for 73. Especially when we are having to see the Doctors.
You really know you're old when your Doctors outnumber you living friends.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:57 am During my personal pity party I was saying to myself: "I'm too young to be this old!!"
We all think that way as I'm 72 headed for 73. Especially when we are having to see the Doctors.
Amen to that!! To paraphrase Willie Nelso, " Had I known I'd live this long, I'd taken better care of myself!!"
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

A couple of saying from a friend of my Dad’s .
You know It’s a good day when you wake up on the green side of the grass.
You know you are in deep trouble, when you find out your mailman is a mole.

sig230 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:20 pm I'm at the point where filling out the pre-visit questionnaire is just the opposite of a 4473; instead of yes, no, no...no it's no, yes, yes...yes.
Nailed it! LoL. Surgery about a week away. Trying to do all house and errands before the operation. No idea how many weeks before I can move around without risking damage. My two week follow up is set, so I suspect not much to be done before that.

Wino wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:41 am
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:12 am
Amen to that!! To paraphrase Willie Nelso, " Had I known I'd live this long, I'd taken better care of myself!!"
Great grins! I love it!