GOP Lawmaker Says Programs Like Social Security Are “Garbage” That Must Be Cut

As Republicans prepare to wage a war on crucial anti-poverty programs when they take control of the House, using the debt limit and major risks to the economy as a weapon, some members of the GOP are threatening to vote against raising the debt limit no matter what.
Other Republicans are saying that they will only vote for the legislation if it includes cuts to popular social programs that keep tens of millions of people above the poverty line each year. This could apply to programs like Social Security, Medicare and SNAP. Some Republicans have suggested cutting COVID spending and boosting funds for Donald Trump-era energy and immigration policies.

One GOP lawmaker went so far as to disparage social programs as “garbage.”

“There’s a lot of fat and garbage that’s way off the mission that we can cut,” Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas), answered “hell no” when asked if he would support a package that didn’t cut federal discretionary programs like Social Security and Medicare.
Cutting social programs would be devastating for beneficiaries and would have ripple effects across the entire economy. Social Security and Medicare are among the country’s most effective anti-poverty programs, while SNAP is the country’s most potent federal anti-hunger program, providing access to food for tens of millions of residents in the U.S. Since Republicans are generally opposed to programs that help the working class — while supporting absurdly high budgets for things like the Pentagon — cutting social programs like Social Security has been on the party’s priority list for many years now.
Full article: https://truthout.org/articles/gop-lawma ... st-be-cut/

Chip Roy is an ass no matter what. He is like so many Repugs, including TOS, with I got mine so f*ck you to everybody else.

Social Security has helped balance the budget for decades. Remember G.W. Bushes "worthless goddamn pieces of paper" statement. Those are bonds the US government issued when they borrowed money from the Social Security Trust to help the government pay bills.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Programs Like Social Security Are “Garbage” That Must Be Cut

I started contributing to Social Security when I was 14. A year ago, having passed 66 and 4 months, I finally began to collect the benefit I had added to for 52 years. Now, a ReThug Trump thrall wants to ROB me of it, as if he saw fit to also take away my bank account.

And to do so he and his demonic fellows are willing to create the economic equivalent of a full nuclear exchange. The US defaulting on its debt will collapse the economy of the ENTIRE world, regardless of how much money Saudi Arabia and China have. The Democrats need to make it clear and that such a default is FULLY the fault of nihilist idiots like Chip Roy.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: GOP Lawmaker Says Programs Like Social Security Are “Garbage” That Must Be Cut

Be careful. Repug lawmakers usually aren’t so stupid (as ol Chip) to say they want to end SS or Medicare… They will just come up with “business schemes” to take public money and funnel them into private “investments”.
And the grift goes on…
And the grift goes on…
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:20 am Be careful. Repug lawmakers usually aren’t so stupid (as ol Chip) to say they want to end SS or Medicare… T
That means this guy is either stupid, which is quite possible and even likely, or it could mean that the Overton Windows has moved enough to the right to make his stated goals a real possibility. The safeest thing is not to assume stupidity.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:11 pm Makes me want to cut his balls off.

SS keeps people out of poverty and off the streets. There would be more funding for the people if the fucking government didn't steal half of it.
Let the GOPathetic wince and whine about this..so it's obvious WHO is standing in the way of programs that keep people off the street, and vote against the debt ceiling. And they will pay the price in November of 2024, particularly if their candidate is a fat, ignorant orange turd.

This dick reps my district which is heavily gerrymandered. Lloyd Doggett was my rep before census reshuffle. He (Roy) is our Gohmert. Won his last election by 85K votes.

I can't say enough for SS & Medicare as they have saved my happy ass from my poor retirement planning as hadn't planned on living this long considering my past hedonistic life style. In any case, Chip Roy can go self fornicate along with anyone one else that believes SS/Medicare are bad. I expect the RWNJ's will be about as successful taking away SS/Medicare as Dems have been taking away my guns. Albeit they may do damage along the way. They have enough baggage to carry right now than throwing gasoline on their current dumpster fires of hate, corruption, grift, criminality and trump the turd.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Eris wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:36 am
Bisbee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:20 am Be careful. Repug lawmakers usually aren’t so stupid (as ol Chip) to say they want to end SS or Medicare… T
That means this guy is either stupid, which is quite possible and even likely, or it could mean that the Overton Windows has moved enough to the right to make his stated goals a real possibility. The safeest thing is not to assume stupidity.
Hmmm, that is a very good point.

Given the state of our economy and the growing reliance of Americans on public health programs and financial assistance due to the pandemic, I would suspect that the GQP are again simply out of touch and trying to garner attention through shock-value and saying radical stuff to see what sticks. Except of course none of it is truly random nor are they their own ideas. A list of ridiculous ideas that benefit the rich were likely handed over to the mouth-puppets by their donors. Methinks the truly stupid puppets are those that actually speak them into the megaphone without thinking of their own political futures.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I can see them trying to privatize Social security and Medicare/Mediciad so they can grift more for themselves. They will use the excuse they are doing the to save the programs. Same BS that Ronnie Rayon did. I am all for making Social Security more stable. You can do that by removing the cap on income to pay asocial Security.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Bisbee wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Eris wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:36 am
Hmmm, that is a very good point.

Given the state of our economy and the growing reliance of Americans on public health programs and financial assistance due to the pandemic, I would suspect that the GQP are again simply out of touch and trying to garner attention through shock-value and saying radical stuff to see what sticks. Except of course none of it is truly random nor are they their own ideas. A list of ridiculous ideas that benefit the rich were likely handed over to the mouth-puppets by their donors. Methinks the truly stupid puppets are those that actually speak them into the megaphone without thinking of their own political futures.
This was one of the very reasons Kelly won in AZ. They ran ads against Blake Masters about it. The Kelly people found a video of Blake Masters saying he wanted to privatize SS and that the cord needed to be cut. I shit you not.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Republicans have hated Social Security since the day FDR got it passed through a Democratic congress. Eisenhower even wrote to his brother about it.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas.
https://teachingamericanhistory.org/doc ... isenhower/

We could only hope that Political Party would not be heard from again.

Ole Chip Roy isn't the first or the last person to suggest it. It's the third rail of politics, let him campaign among Trumpers to abolish those programs and he'll get pelted with rotten food. Don't touch peoples Social Security, Medicare and VA benefits, no matter what their political party.

Congress and state legislatures and county boards are full of stupid people like Chip.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan