"Is working out while high L.A.’s next fitness craze?"

Morgan English was sitting on the fire escape in her Portland State University apartment, smoking weed, when she felt a pull toward a stationary bicycle. So she walked across the street to the gym. For the first time in her life, she said, exercise didn’t feel like punishment. “It wasn’t about ‘How many miles can I bike? How much resistance can I put on? Can I do this for an hour?’ It was just joyful. Like I was just moving my body and I was doing it for myself … and it truly unlocked a whole new world for me.” After that, English started clandestinely smoking weed in her car before exercise classes, certain her classmates could smell it on her. She wondered if anyone else did the same thing. Turns out, they do. “You have this sense of like, ‘I’m not alone and other people are doing this,’” English said. Now, English owns and teaches classes for Stoned+Toned, a fitness company that blends cannabis and fitness in pursuit of community and a more pleasurable workout.
Michael French, chair of the health management and policy department at the University of Miami’s business school and author of the study, remembered talking to some of his friends about the findings. The friends, all marathon runners, said they use cannabis to recover after long-distance training. “So they kind of chuckled and said, ‘No surprise there,’” French said. Researchers from the University of Colorado Boulder are looking into the same thing. Angela Bryan, a professor of psychology and neuroscience there, said her assumption was that cannabis would decrease one’s motivation to work out, but she’s been surprised by findings that tell a more complex story. “While I’m not ready to conclusively recommend that people start using weed to increase their physical activity, I think it’s pretty clear that it doesn’t hurt,” said Bryan, whose lab has been focused recently on the public health implications of cannabis legalization. Bryan noted her research hasn’t shown an improvement in performance; instead, cannabis users have reported more pleasure — maybe even a runner’s high — after blending cardio and cannabis. Whether people come to cannabis or exercise first, though, is still unknown, Bryan said.
https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story ... os-angeles

For the non-smokers munching on Alice B Toklas brownies before a workout?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Is working out while high L.A.’s next fitness craze?"

Riding a bicycle while sipping IPA in the woods risks injuring yourself, or a buddy. Doing so on the streets would land you a hefty fine, and justifiably so, IMHO.

In CA, driving high is legally courting DUI arrest and impounding the car. I wonder what they would do to a bicyclist?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:25 pm Riding a bicycle while sipping IPA in the woods risks injuring yourself, or a buddy. Doing so on the streets would land you a hefty fine, and justifiably so, IMHO.

In CA, driving high is legally courting DUI arrest and impounding the car. I wonder what they would do to a bicyclist?

Good question, had to look it up.
Most people are not aware that you can be arrested for riding a bike while over the legal alcohol limit for driving. California Vehicle Code Section 21200.5 VC punishes a defendant for riding a bicycle under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
https://aizmanlaw.com/cycling-influence ... r%20drugs.

Same is true in the UK I know, saw a copper in a TV show nick someone who was over the limit.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

SunRiseWest wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:34 pm
papajim2jordan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 am If working out while on weed were to be done in a manner where no one but the junkie (exercise, I mean), were exposed to any hazard, ?

It just seems odd to me that someone seemingly concerned with health and fitness would smoke anything.

Now, getting Crocked on Betty's Brownies... that's different!
I also wonder, now that hallucinogens are approaching legality in some locations, and now that the term 'microdosing' has been coined (though people have been doing it since... oh, about 1974) I'm wondering how these substances would fit into the safety calculations.

I'm sure legally, it would be the same as any other drug. But from a safety perspective, would I rather share a ski slope or mtb trail with: a) Someone who has had three beers. b) Someone who has taken a single deep toke of high-grade cannabis. c) Someone who weighs over 150 pounds who ingested 30 micrograms-- a 'threshold' dose, or about 1/3 of a hit-- of LSD?

My answer probably won't be popular, but I would pick "C." Though I am glad I am at an age when I would not entertain the thought of testing this hypothesis.
That's kinda like playing paper, rock, scissors ! LOL I'd take the stoner any day over a drunk or druggie regardless of the action/game/activity.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:19 pm
papajim2jordan wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:13 am If working out while on weed were to be done in a manner where no one but the junkie (exercise, I mean), were exposed to any hazard, ?

It just seems odd to me that someone seemingly concerned with health and fitness would smoke anything.

I also wonder, now that hallucinogens are approaching legality in some locations, and now that the term 'microdosing' has been coined (though people have been doing it since... oh, about 1974) I'm wondering how these substances would fit into the safety calculations.

I'm sure legally, it would be the same as any other drug. But from a safety perspective, would I rather share a ski slope or mtb trail with: a) Someone who has had three beers. b) Someone who has taken a single deep toke of high-grade cannabis. c) Someone who weighs over 150 pounds who ingested 30 micrograms-- a 'threshold' dose, or about 1/3 of a hit-- of LSD?

My answer probably won't be popular, but I would pick "C." Though I am glad I am at an age when I would not entertain the thought of testing this hypothesis.
That's kinda like playing paper, rock, scissors ! LOL I'd take the stoner any day over a drunk or druggie regardless of the action/game/activity.
Or, ask Sonny Bono if he would rather share a slope with a stone(r) or a tree.
This isn't going well, is it?

papajim2jordan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:04 am

I guess Bono's hippy reputation followed him. However, according to reports 'alcohol nor drugs' were involved in his untimely death. Probably had more to do with being a republican which belies his pseudo liberalism and making a bad decision to ski in a heavily wooded area. Had he been stoned, he may well be alive today.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/01/07/us/s ... 0he%20said.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:43 am

I guess Bono's hippy reputation followed him. However, according to reports 'alcohol nor drugs' were involved in his untimely death. Probably had more to do with being a republican which belies his pseudo liberalism and making a bad decision to ski in a heavily wooded area. Had he been stoned, he may well be alive today.

I didn't mean to imply he was intoxicated. For some reason, Bono and Kennedy spring to mind whenever skiing is brought up.
This isn't going well, is it?

LA is the land of escapism whether it's TV shows, movies or smoking or eating weed.
The cannabis consumption lounge that recently opened in a lush, tropical courtyard in West Hollywood is one of the most joyfully unique, absurdly captivating and mind-blowing places most of us mere mortals — i.e. those of us without a four-picture deal or Scrooge McDuck cartoon bags of money — could hope to find ourselves getting legally lit.

Equal parts tropical hideaway, Balinese retreat and hippie hangout by way of Laurel Canyon with a dash of Enchanted Tiki Room thrown in for good measure, Ganja Giggle Garden is a 5,000-square-foot sanctuary where soon-to-be-stoned visitors will find themselves taking things to the next level surrounded by jungle-level greenery, lurking Buddhas, a quartet of parrots, a glint of badger-sized koi, and three well-appointed cannabis cabanas (try saying that five times fast).

Ganja Giggle Garden is one of just two places to publicly partake in the L.A. area — the other, the Artist Tree Studio Dispensary Lounge, opened in April about a mile away.
https://www.latimes.com/lifestyle/story ... eed-lounge
https://archive.ph/Lxs9N

papajim2jordan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:03 am
Wino wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:43 am

I didn't mean to imply he was intoxicated. For some reason, Bono and Kennedy spring to mind whenever skiing is brought up.
Obviously, we think differently. When skiing is the subject, Lindsey Vonn laying nude on a bearskin rug in front of my fireplace comes to mind. As the old saying goes, "There may be snow on the roof, but the fire in the cellar ain't out" !! LOL On the other hand - I don't get the Kennedy connection to skiing?