Re: Where The Rugers Are

I went into a Turners store recently and my experience wasn't good. Their display cases are almost empty in CA, when you buy a firearm they have to order it from the manufacturer. They used to warehouse guns so you'd order and they'd complete the DROS [dealer record of sales] process in CA on the first visit, because they had firearms in stock they'd grab a firearm serial number from their inventory. Now in CA you pay a deposit and they order the firearm from the manufacturer and they don't contact you when it's in, keep calling to see if they have received it. When you've verified that they've received it, the whole DROS process can then start and you have to go in with all the right verifications and then the 10 day waiting period starts. It will be 3 or 4 visits to the gun shop before you get the gun, as long as your criminal record is clean.

AZ has few firearms restrictions, but CA has a lot of restrictions and that's due to the Democratic Party in California.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wow, that's higher than our prices! And we actually have 'em in stock! Geez....

Shame about California...but that's what happens when people just blindly vote Party instead of properly investigating the candidates, ESPECIALLY during the Primary Elections where you get to choose which candidate runs under your Party banner.

The Democrats tried to ruin Virginia the same way that they've already ruined California, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, and other places. They had some measure of success, but fortunately, it wasn't complete. And they paid for it last go-around here in our Statewide elections.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote:Wow, that's higher than our prices! And we actually have 'em in stock! Geez....

Shame about California...but that's what happens when people just blindly vote Party instead of properly investigating the candidates, ESPECIALLY during the Primary Elections where you get to choose which candidate runs under your Party banner.

The Democrats tried to ruin Virginia the same way that they've already ruined California, New York, Massachusetts, Maryland, and other places. They had some measure of success, but fortunately, it wasn't complete. And they paid for it last go-around here in our Statewide elections.
I figured you lived in San Francisco by your handle …haha. VA is a little bit more firearm friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunRiseWest wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:26 am
highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:23 pm I went into a Turners store recently and my experience wasn't good. Their display cases are almost empty in CA, when you buy a firearm they have to order it from the manufacturer. They used to warehouse guns so you'd order and they'd complete the DROS [dealer record of sales] process in CA on the first visit, because they had firearms in stock they'd grab a firearm serial number from their inventory. Now in CA you pay a deposit and they order the firearm from the manufacturer and they don't contact you when it's in, keep calling to see if they have received it. When you've verified that they've received it, the whole DROS process can then start and you have to go in with all the right verifications and then the 10 day waiting period starts. It will be 3 or 4 visits to the gun shop before you get the gun, as long as your criminal record is clean.

AZ has few firearms restrictions, but CA has a lot of restrictions and that's due to the Democratic Party in California.
Huh-- Not my experience at all. I got my Rough Rider at a Turner's. It was in stock; I actually asked if I could have one that was from an unsealed box. And was warned that it would delay delivery substantially. Got my pistol 10 days and about 45 minutes after I put down the deposit. I had to go twice initially, but that's because I don't have a "Real ID" card-- and never will-- and while I did bring my passport, I didn't bring a utility bill. (Don't get me started on 'Real ID' cards. Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel that much safer.)

It's not the greatest place. They do get a lot of complaints. I did okay there. Hope to find a more mom-and-pop type place eventually.

Sale items Turners might have in stock at one of their warehouses, but the pandemic changed Turners their stores are not the same. I've purchased a few pistols from Turners over the years and their warehouse covering the inland area used to be in Rancho Cucamonga, it's now gone. When I moved to my town there were 4 gun stores, now there is only 1. The local Walmart no longer stocks ammo. Life in gun-unfriendly California.

"Real ID" was imposed on the states by Congress as an aftermath of 9/11. Many countries have national ID cards that you're required to carry, I had one when I lived overseas many years ago. Americans wouldn't accept a national ID card, so the state drivers license or state ID card becomes the national ID. I went with the CA 'Real ID' because I didn't want to have to bring my passport when flying.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:51 am
CowboyT wrote:Wow, that's higher than our prices! And we actually have 'em in stock! Geez....

I figured you lived in San Francisco by your handle …haha. VA is a little bit more firearm friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Born and raised in San Francisco and will always be proud of it. :-)

That California "safe handgun roster" nonsense, though, that needs to go bye-bye just like the Mulford Act does. That roster is probably the major thing that keeps perfectly safe handguns out of the hands of Californians (e. g. the Ruger SR9 and SR45, Tisas 1911's)

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/de-certified-handguns

Let me relate to you all a small tale. At a certain moment I had my Ruger Vaquero loiaded with six rounds, and it sat in the holster not on the belt with the cartridge loops. I picked it up by the holster, and it slipped out and dropped to the floor between my legs, landing right on the hammer. I am alive today because of the transfer bar safety system. That the roster exists and that many companies won't submit multiple weapons for testing is most unfortunate. That I am alive is due to the transfer bar safety system. I would suggest that avoiding two or three thousand bucks by gun makers to diss on California's roster is more a factor of love of profit than it is to foolish gun laws.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The CA Roster is a money maker for the state. Gun manufacturers not only pay for the firearms to be tested, but they have to pay to keep them on the Roster. No firearms manufacturers want lawsuits due to defective firearms same with auto manufacturers and other products. The whole thing is meaningless now because microstamping is required, even if the firearm is approved as "safe". Democratic politicians will always come up with new laws and regs, they've determined that "evil firearms" should be restricted to law enforcement only.

CDFingers wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:41 pm Let me relate to you all a small tale. At a certain moment I had my Ruger Vaquero loiaded with six rounds, and it sat in the holster not on the belt with the cartridge loops. I picked it up by the holster, and it slipped out and dropped to the floor between my legs, landing right on the hammer. I am alive today because of the transfer bar safety system. That the roster exists and that many companies won't submit multiple weapons for testing is most unfortunate. That I am alive is due to the transfer bar safety system. I would suggest that avoiding two or three thousand bucks by gun makers to diss on California's roster is more a factor of love of profit than it is to foolish gun laws.

CDFingers
Let's talk about this regulation. It actually made some sense when enacted, probably saved your bits. Then, as CA usually does, they added loaded chamber indicators and magazine safteys to the list of must haves. Ok. But, not being able to leave well enough alone, they added that microstamping thing. That thing that doesn't exist. So, that is why no new guns have been added to the roster since 2013. And it is why we now have a LEO fueled black market of sorts for off roster guns. And why we don't have guns that folk with poor hand strength can shoot. Or guns with improved safety mechanisms. So, something that made sense was piled on to create a slow moving ban. It's a prime example of CA gun control. And why I've moved toward the view that government can't handle firearms regulations in a judicious way. It has become persecutory.

You are correct, featureless, in that CA cannot handle firearms regulation. I would suspect that once someone gets into office, they have to make a lot of sometimes pointless legislation somehow to justify their existence. Were I to get in there, I would reduce regs such that they actually delivered actual safety. That cops get to have off roster guns really chaps my wazoo. So I stocked up on Desitin. A small comfort. I am thankful for the regs that work here, and that includes the safe storage laws. They were crafted well and ambiguously in that you're not required to lock up your guns, but if one gets swiped and you don't report it and it gets used in a crime, you are fucked. Being a messy business, California democracy scatters the BB's all over the hardwood floor and we're all barefoot, so we have to watch where we step.

CDFingers

I used to get pulled over by CHIPS all the time in the bay area. Didn't matter if I was driving my 77 Chevy pick up or my 67 SS camero. They would always pick on me cuz quote" We seen your plates here for several months and you need to get Cal Plates. Ha. Bull crap
Driving though Oakland from doing flooring in high rise down town SF in my old pick up I got pulled over by CHIPS. He says hI and walks over the the passenger side and opens the door and beer cans fall out on the street. OOPS!
Big frown. I said dude, officer, those beers were from last weekend. I was going with the flow and didn't realize all the other cars disappeared and I was the only one hauling ass.
He flips back the seat and there is my old Mossburg Pump shotgun, luckily unloaded. He says "whats up with this?" I say well ya know I'm from AZ as you can see and thats my protector when I'm working in the city.
Dude gave me a ticket for not having Cal Plates. That was back in '85
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I remember that time as I lived in the Bay Area. DMV was losing revenue because some people were registering their vehicles in Oregon but living in California. The CA tax authority started checking OR plates to see where owners salaries came from and they got fee notices. CHP is a state agency and they had to help collect the DMV revenue, CA is an expensive state. I left CA for about 2 years and purchased a new car while out of state and when I returned, CA charged me sales tax on that vehicle even though it was purchased out of state. They're very greedy.

CDFingers wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:41 pm Let me relate to you all a small tale. At a certain moment I had my Ruger Vaquero loiaded with six rounds, and it sat in the holster not on the belt with the cartridge loops. I picked it up by the holster, and it slipped out and dropped to the floor between my legs, landing right on the hammer. I am alive today because of the transfer bar safety system. That the roster exists and that many companies won't submit multiple weapons for testing is most unfortunate. That I am alive is due to the transfer bar safety system. I would suggest that avoiding two or three thousand bucks by gun makers to diss on California's roster is more a factor of love of profit than it is to foolish gun laws.

CDFingers
Then that same roster should apply to the police as well, yes?

Police are not a special class of citizenry… no matter what they believe.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:06 pm Police are not a special class of citizenry… no matter what they believe.
I agree, but Democratic and Republican politicians in CA suck up to them for their election endorsements. It's not just the police chiefs, the sheriffs and the CHP associations, they also suck up to the police unions. Cops don't worry about the Roster, because it doesn't apply to them.

CowboyT wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:11 pm

CDFingers
Then that same roster should apply to the police as well, yes?
Yes.

CDFingers