"Essential Politics: Could Trump really go to prison?"

Though Trump may face prison time if convicted of certain crimes, it’s unclear, and in some cases unlikely, that he will ever sit behind bars. Though some of the alleged crimes are clear-cut, it’s uncertain if prosecutors have the “political appetite to pursue charges,” Anthony Michael Kreis, a political scientist and law professor at Georgia State University College of Law, told The Times.

An indictment against the former president would be unprecedented and prosecutors would worry about appearing politically motivated, Kreis said. The criminal referrals James made from the civil lawsuit are perhaps the most “precarious,” he added. James has made no secret of her desire to go after Trump and his family for potential wrongdoing. “That may be something federal prosecutors won’t want to touch with a 10-foot pole,” Kreis said. “They don’t want the former president to get away with anything he’s done, but at the same time, they want to avoid the appearance of being overtly political or seeking retribution.”

Kreis said federal prosecutors likely have enough evidence to go after Trump for his involvement in the Jan. 6 insurrection, but “that has a similar political dynamic.” Perhaps the greatest vulnerability Trump has is the investigation into his procurement of sensitive government records. Trump illegally holding onto classified documents is more black and white than the insurrection, Kreis said. “Anyone who did something remotely similar would have already been charged.” The same is true in Georgia. Trump was “central to what is appearing to be an organized conspiracy to overthrow the election and pressure officials into committing election fraud,” Kreis said. The principle at stake is whether powerful people should get away with crimes just because they’re politically active. Prosecutors are contending with hyperpartisanship when deciding whether to devote resources to an investigation that might “shock the political ecosystem,” Kreis said.
https://archive.ph/5G9uy
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: "Essential Politics: Could Trump really go to prison?"

If he isn’t convicted and at least given a house confinement, for so many years, then it would set a precedent so anybody else could do the same thing and walk away.
Just because he was President it doesn’t put him above the law or better than any other citizen that commits the crime.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

What a ridiculous article…Yeah he’s going to be charged. Yeah he’s going to be convicted. He knows this, he expects this and he’s actually counting on this. Trump wants this because he knows he can create huge amounts of chaos, and that’s what he’s playing toward. Create enough chaos, and he has a chance of re-gaining power (most likely through violence)

Articles like this exist to created doubt and fuel outrage; and just help Trump with his cause. The DOJ has to prosecute Trump or our Republic is over. THIS ABSOLUTELY HAS TO HAPPEN. People need to get that through their heads.

No he won’t actually go to jail…it sucks, but it’s the reality of our horribly corrupt system. Someone will go to jail, but it won’t be Trump.

If they don’t charge Trump, Meadows, and Eastman (at a minimum), the Republic is over, and it is time to start looking for a new home… I’m getting too old to fight a revolution.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:18 pm What a ridiculous article…Yeah he’s going to be charged. Yeah he’s going to be convicted. He knows this, he expects this and he’s actually counting on this. Trump wants this because he knows he can create huge amounts of chaos, and that’s what he’s playing toward. Create enough chaos, and he has a chance of re-gaining power (most likely through violence)

Articles like this exist to created doubt and fuel outrage; and just help Trump with his cause. The DOJ has to prosecute Trump or our Republic is over. THIS ABSOLUTELY HAS TO HAPPEN. People need to get that through their heads.

No he won’t actually go to jail…it sucks, but it’s the reality of our horribly corrupt system. Someone will go to jail, but it won’t be Trump.

If they don’t charge Trump, Meadows, and Eastman (at a minimum), the Republic is over, and it is time to start looking for a new home… I’m getting too old to fight a revolution.
100% agree. He should be indicted, tried and if convicted severely punished - how turd is punished I care not as long as it hurts him and his ilk dearly. If convicted of treason - hang the dick. There is little difference between turd and Tim McVeigh - both had/have the same goal - anarchy, insurrection and end of democracy.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

FrontSight wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:18 pm What a ridiculous article…Yeah he’s going to be charged. Yeah he’s going to be convicted. He knows this, he expects this and he’s actually counting on this. Trump wants this because he knows he can create huge amounts of chaos, and that’s what he’s playing toward. Create enough chaos, and he has a chance of re-gaining power (most likely through violence)

I agree that he absolutely has to be charged and that our republic is doomed if he isn't but I'm not at all sure that he will be and if you twisted my arm and made me guess I'd say he won't be. I think doomed is pretty much where we're at.

And yeah, he'll never see the inside of a prison.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Wanting revenge isn't enough to convict someone, it takes evidence and in the case of a former president it will take a rock solid case. And the other party will seek revenge, Clinton's impeachment was revenge for Nixon. If there is a strong case and certainty that the jury will convict then prosecute, but if it's a weak case then Trump plays martyr and he wins.

I have my doubts about the Fulton County, Georgia DA's investigation of Trump over his interference in the 2020 election. She made a rookie mistake and could be under state investigation for it.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/georgia-d ... inal-probe

Politics is involved in everything, including who gets prosecuted.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

100% FrontSight!

What a stupid article, a testimony to Left-leaning willfulness, or current lack thereof. Was there any likelihood that Clinton would face jail for cumstains in a blue dress? No, but the Rightwing prosecutors made it appear likely because the world would end if someone else was having more fun than they were! No sub zeal is coming from the Left.

F*ck this noise. Democracy needs prosecution and conviction of sedition if it is to survive, plain and simple. Otherwise demagoguery will win.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

highdesert wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:50 pm Wanting revenge isn't enough to convict someone, it takes evidence and in the case of a former president it will take a rock solid case. And the other party will seek revenge, Clinton's impeachment was revenge for Nixon. If there is a strong case and certainty that the jury will convict then prosecute, but if it's a weak case then Trump plays martyr and he wins.

I have my doubts about the Fulton County, Georgia DA's investigation of Trump over his interference in the 2020 election. She made a rookie mistake and could be under state investigation for it.

From the Jan 6th committee there is more than enough data to get a conviction for the charge of conspiracy to defraud the US Government. I think they have enough to get Trump, Eastman, Meadows, and maybe even Clark. All the elements to show there was a conspiracy are there. Its all circumstantial evidence, and in court circumstantial evidence should be viewed as direct evidence if you are unable to reconcile it with any other reasonable explanation.

With that in mind, there’s probably a few things he can talk his way out of. But the items that add up to the conspiracy are dozens upon dozens of pieces of evidence…strong evidence like text messages, and multiple direct under-oath testimonies that corroborate. Even a brain dead jury is going to be able to see a pattern emerge pretty quickly.

The classified documents case…Juice just aint worth the squeeze.
Georgia – They have some compelling evidence, and that evidence will help in the Defraud case, but I don’t think there’s enough to get a conviction in Georgia.

My money is on the federal DOJ and a conspiracy to defraud the US government charge.

If you can get that to stick, then the flood gates come open for a few other charges like obstruction, etc.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:27 pm
highdesert wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:50 pm Wanting revenge isn't enough to convict someone, it takes evidence and in the case of a former president it will take a rock solid case. And the other party will seek revenge, Clinton's impeachment was revenge for Nixon. If there is a strong case and certainty that the jury will convict then prosecute, but if it's a weak case then Trump plays martyr and he wins.

From the Jan 6th committee there is more than enough data to get a conviction for the charge of conspiracy to defraud the US Government. I think they have enough to get Trump, Eastman, Meadows, and maybe even Clark. All the elements to show there was a conspiracy are there. Its all circumstantial evidence, and in court circumstantial evidence should be viewed as direct evidence if you are unable to reconcile it with any other reasonable explanation.

With that in mind, there’s probably a few things he can talk his way out of. But the items that add up to the conspiracy are dozens upon dozens of pieces of evidence…strong evidence like text messages, and multiple direct under-oath testimonies that corroborate. Even a brain dead jury is going to be able to see a pattern emerge pretty quickly.

The classified documents case…Juice just aint worth the squeeze.
Georgia – They have some compelling evidence, and that evidence will help in the Defraud case, but I don’t think there’s enough to get a conviction in Georgia.

My money is on the federal DOJ and a conspiracy to defraud the US government charge.

If you can get that to stick, then the flood gates come open for a few other charges like obstruction, etc.
I hope there is enough evidence, a referral from the J 6 committee is just a referral, DOJ gets a lot of referrals from congress. DOJ has to determine there is enough evidence, they've been running a parallel investigation per news reports. And the Biden administration has to have the political will to prosecute, Biden's a former prosecutor.

Silvio Berlusconi is a right wing Italian media billionaire and four times prime minister. His media empire helped him win elections. The center-left hated him and he was prosecuted many times, but only one conviction which also barred him from politics for five years. Berlusconi is now back. Prosecuting Trump can be a very long process and if convicted he could still return to politics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trials_an ... Berlusconi

FrontSight wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:40 pm I will go on record as saying:

Prosecuting corrupt politicians at every level is one of the healthiest things a democracy can do to stay a democracy. Corruption is almost always the mechanism that fuels the end of governments.
Agree and the end of empires and past civilizations. It seems at some point people just get tired of the BS and go away to start again elsewhere. That was great thousands of years ago. We’ve run out of places to go.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I think he'll be convicted along with others but, since the orange turd likes chaos and loyalty....trump will call for a J6 type 'rally' at the Federal Courthouse where he will appear to be charged. That will be a shit-show...but we'll see how many 'drug store patriots' actually show up because LE, maybe National Guard', will be there in spades with lotsa of zip-tie cuffs.

F4FEver wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 am I think he'll be convicted along with others but, since the orange turd likes chaos and loyalty....trump will call for a J6 type 'rally' at the Federal Courthouse where he will appear to be charged. That will be a shit-show...but we'll see how many 'drug store patriots' actually show up because LE, maybe National Guard', will be there in spades with lotsa of zip-tie cuffs.
There's a lot of scenarios that can play out, and that certainly is one of them. I'm not sure when and where... I think he's waiting for the right opportunity, but once he sees his chance, there absolutely WILL be violence at his behest. He has to create chaos and he thinks his indictment, or conviction will offend people enough the he can call them to revolution. He's going to be SORELY disappointed at the turn out.

Me, I'm ready to have this out. If he wants violence, then bring it, we can handle anything his dumb ass can muster. If we have to have this fight, then let's have it.

FrontSight wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:54 am
F4FEver wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 am I think he'll be convicted along with others but, since the orange turd likes chaos and loyalty....trump will call for a J6 type 'rally' at the Federal Courthouse where he will appear to be charged. That will be a shit-show...but we'll see how many 'drug store patriots' actually show up because LE, maybe National Guard', will be there in spades with lotsa of zip-tie cuffs.
There's a lot of scenarios that can play out, and that certainly is one of them. I'm not sure when and where... I think he's waiting for the right opportunity, but once he sees his chance, there absolutely WILL be violence at his behest. He has to create chaos and he thinks his indictment, or conviction will offend people enough the he can call them to revolution.

Me, I'm ready to have this out. If he wants violence, then bring it, we can handle anything his dumb ass can muster. If we have to have this fight, then let's have it.
I think so too. A lot of these bozos are fine and dandy running around the woods, all tacti-cooled up but when it comes to shouting and getting arrested..that's a different story..as the 700+ those who have been charged at the J6 insurrection have found out.