Favorite prepper YouTube channels?

I have recently moved from one house that I liked to another house that I kind-of like. The impetus for this move was that my in-laws are dealing with aging-related issues, and my spouse and I refuse to consign her parents to the assisted-living/nursing home/funeral home pipeline.

We've moved from a modest home to what would easily be described as the "Cadillac of the Neighborhood." It's a sprawling ranch with a walk-out basement on a lot four times what I had before, in a twenty-home HOA (a whole other topic...) on a cul-de-sac.

Because I'm weird, I'm looking at this new-to-me house as an opportunity to overhaul my disaster preparedness planning and caches. Central to this forum, I'm reassessing how I store my firearms compared to the prior house, but I'm also thinking more about providing for my in-laws, with their reduced mobility (compared to my own less-than-when-I-was-forty mobility).

So, of course, I'm thinking about how to arrange my garage, and about how to configure the unfinished parts of the basement, and so on.

As with any preparations, I'm keenly aware that skills will get me through times with fewer resources more than expensive gadgets will help if I don't know how to use them.

As mentioned, the neighborhood has an HOA. The head of the HOA has granted me permission to build a fence (to contain my dogs). Nothing in the CC&R document addresses vegetable gardens, so we figure to have one in coming months/years. Nothing in the CC&R document prevents me collecting rain water for use in my garden or to be filtered for consumption, and I know how to do that.

But, to the point of the title, what are folks' favorite prepper channels? What advice seems to work best for you?
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: Favorite prepper YouTube channels?

It’s not “prepper” in the traditional sense of how many people think of it, but I really enjoy the RED Garden channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/REDGardens

His focus is on people growing enough food at home for some level of resilience and to be less reliant on store bought food (ie food insecurity). The content is quite good and he’s honest about what works and what doesn’t work in his case. We’ve watched him since before COVID and it has certainly meant less store bought food for us with a thriving backyard garden.

Many of the prepper channels feel like they’re either selling products, selling bad ideas along with prepping, or both. So I’ll be happy if someone provides some recommendations that don’t fit that.

cheers,

Quo

Oh, here’s one that is a bit more traditional prepper that do like: Rose Red Homestead.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RoseRedHomestead

She has lots of good information about food storage, preserving, and emergency preparedness. And (thankfully) what she presents is very largely backed up food science academics when it comes to preventing botulism, spoilage, and proper preserving. I get really irked by people that present things that have worked for them or their family with “no problems ever” that in turn have a significant chance of harboring the botulinum bacteria (and then some of them even denigrating university coop extension recommendations about food storage).

Quo

Enginneer 775 has always been pretty good. Canadian prepper has been good but is slipping into gloom and doom stuff lately
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I'm interested in what plans others have made or are planing to for potential loss of water, electric, natural gas, sewage, trash collection, automotive fuel, food, medical, news, communication.

None of those things with the partial exception of food are addressable via firearms. And not in a populated area. Unless you plan to forcibly take them.

My wife and I live on an 80+ acre parcel nestled in the heart of nowhere. Her grandparents lived here somewhat primitive in that they had rope and muscle powered water, an outhouse (pit latrine), no shower or bath, unless you count singing in the rain, wood cooking stove. Also was the fuel for heating. They did have electricity and a refrigerator. My wife stayed there sometimes as a child and has fond memories from that time. The path to that house is not easy. Last time I went down there
the house looked sound but it would take too much to bring it into livable condition again.

We are all electric. My wife cans some of the stuff (requires electricity) from the garden, and there is an apple orchard. We have a well up where we are (requires electricity) but have been spoiled by “city water”.

Small generator for some lights and the fridge. No natural gas, but propane heated mother-in-law's house, also on the property. I chose a small fuel efficient generator not because I'm cheap (wink) but because if the outage is short, why bother with all the fuss. If extended, there will be no fuel for a large generator for long.

A bunch of years ago when I was working for our capital city, a storm knocked out everything. Took about 2 weeks to get back electric, water, grocery stores, gasoline. I saw people do some strange and dangerous things. Water gets in your house by way of gravity from a tank above everyone's head, but gets into the tank by electricity. Within 6 hours all the tanks were drained dry. No water. Could have used that rope bucket.

A while back I watched a TV program (required electricity), titled “Extra Life”. Made me realize that I'm living on technology borrowed time. If things really got bad for a long time I don't think we could keep up with all the extra work and defend the place and...

If I should run out of coffee, what's the point anyway?
IMG_0888a.JPG
Getting old, or is it just me?

papajim2jordan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:56 pm I'm interested in what plans others have made or are planing to for potential loss of water, electric, natural gas, sewage, trash collection, automotive fuel, food, medical, news, communication.
I noted above that I've recently changed address (a moving experience, to be sure), and that I'm choosing to look at it as an opportunity to revamp my preparations. Since the main driver for the change of address is that my spouse and I are now sharing a house with her parents (to keep them out of the assisted-living/nursing home/funeral home pipeline for as long as is reasonably possible), I have to think about preparations for helping them survive as long as is possible, too.

As for water, I have ability and plans to add a rainwater collection system. I have filtration equipment on hand, and a small (20 gallon) stash of potable water already, with plans for at least a hundred gallons of capacity as we get the new-to-us house in order. 55-gallon barrels made of food-grade plastic aren't super-easy to find, but I'm pretty sure I have a source.

I haven't built up (new-to-me house...) for medium- or long-term electricity outage, and am cognizant that such would involve storing fuel for a generator. That's on my list of things to address over the coming months.

While natural gas is great (and my current furnace is fueled with natural gas), I have some experience with living in a home that was heated with a wood stove, and have access to a fair bit of wood at low cost.

We keep a stock of medical supplies on hand--my spouse is trained as an EMT, and I've learned a fair bit from her. We are also both learning about stockpiling supplies.

The upheaval of moving has made gardening plans take a back seat this year, but we figure to set up a garden over the winter for spring planting.

As for sewage, aside from sewage rolling down hill in the existing pipe system, I haven't made big plans for that. As it happens, I recently bought a "Doggie Dooley" system for dealing with solid waste generated by our two dogs, and I might have to think about adding a unit anyway...

Trash collection is another point where my current preparations are lacking. Part of my plan is to not generate a lot of trash in the first place, but that isn't much of a plan.

Thank you for helping me (and, perhaps, others) see that our current plans have gaps I/we need to address!
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:41 pm
papajim2jordan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:56 pm I'm interested in what plans others have made or are planing to for potential loss of water, electric, natural gas, sewage, trash collection, automotive fuel, food, medical, news, communication.
I noted above that I've recently changed address (a moving experience, to be sure), and that I'm choosing to look at it as an opportunity to revamp my preparations. Since the main driver for the change of address is that my spouse and I are now sharing a house with her parents (to keep them out of the assisted-living/nursing home/funeral home pipeline for as long as is reasonably possible), I have to think about preparations for helping them survive as long as is possible, too.

As for water, I have ability and plans to add a rainwater collection system. I have filtration equipment on hand, and a small (20 gallon) stash of potable water already, with plans for at least a hundred gallons of capacity as we get the new-to-us house in order. 55-gallon barrels made of food-grade plastic aren't super-easy to find, but I'm pretty sure I have a source.

I haven't built up (new-to-me house...) for medium- or long-term electricity outage, and am cognizant that such would involve storing fuel for a generator. That's on my list of things to address over the coming months.

While natural gas is great (and my current furnace is fueled with natural gas), I have some experience with living in a home that was heated with a wood stove, and have access to a fair bit of wood at low cost.

We keep a stock of medical supplies on hand--my spouse is trained as an EMT, and I've learned a fair bit from her. We are also both learning about stockpiling supplies.

The upheaval of moving has made gardening plans take a back seat this year, but we figure to set up a garden over the winter for spring planting.

As for sewage, aside from sewage rolling down hill in the existing pipe system, I haven't made big plans for that. As it happens, I recently bought a "Doggie Dooley" system for dealing with solid waste generated by our two dogs, and I might have to think about adding a unit anyway...

Trash collection is another point where my current preparations are lacking. Part of my plan is to not generate a lot of trash in the first place, but that isn't much of a plan.

Thank you for helping me (and, perhaps, others) see that our current plans have gaps I/we need to address!
I can sympathize with your situation. My mother-in-law moved in with us last December as her health declined. She passed in April, but am glad she moved in with us as we always got along and I learned so much from her during that time.

Thanks for letting me know more about how you are addressing these issues, it is very helpful.
Getting old, or is it just me?

QuoVadis wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:55 am It’s not “prepper” in the traditional sense of how many people think of it, but I really enjoy the RED Garden channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/REDGardens

His focus is on people growing enough food at home for some level of resilience and to be less reliant on store bought food (ie food insecurity). The content is quite good and he’s honest about what works and what doesn’t work in his case. We’ve watched him since before COVID and it has certainly meant less store bought food for us with a thriving backyard garden.

Many of the prepper channels feel like they’re either selling products, selling bad ideas along with prepping, or both. So I’ll be happy if someone provides some recommendations that don’t fit that.

cheers,

Quo
By "bad ideas" do you mean political nonsense? If so, I totally feel where you're coming from. I get that good information is good information. However, I can't support people who are far right or who's friendly with far right. I don't want to support that. It's one of the many reason why I'm careful about what gun channels I subscribe to. I subscribe to the LGC for advice.

I never knew how hard it was to be in the gun community and not have to deal with the hateful right.

I had to go through and look at the different channels I'm subscribed to on YouTube. Full disclosure, I consider myself more small L libertarian, so I generally get to disagree with everyone. Having said that, I've found that while I do follow a few "prepper" channels, I find I get very good information, with much less political bias, from overlanding, bushcrafting, and amateur (ham) radio channels I'm subscribed to. A few of the channels that are more "sufficiency" oriented. I don't know how up to date they are, I just checked my list of subscribed channels:

Farpoint Farms https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpx7Y_ ... Lrjz8p5cGQ

Last Line of Defense https://www.youtube.com/user/concealedcarrytips

The Prepared https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwEcwv ... 7mxzctp-DQ

Wild Wonderful Off Grid https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX49PV ... e5mZe1LIyA

I hope this helps.
Gotta say, Doctor, your talent for alienatin' folks is near miraculous.