Re: Alex Jones’ company files for bankruptcy midway through Sandy Hook damages trial

Greengunner wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:30 pm
rolandson wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:04 am A question:
Why is this person not behind bars tonight?

Having publicly expressed absolute contempt for the court and,
in the course of being exposed as a perjurer with extraordinary cash/financial resources, it follows that;

A) he faces a potential judgment in this case that could set a record which might become the standard for future judgements, from a number of plaintiffs that are certain to arise,
and
B) he clearly represents a flight risk.

I am truly surprised that the judge didn't order him taken into custody immediately today, given the revelation of an apparent perjured affidavit in his bank-o filing.

If I were he, I would have walked out of the courtroom, called Planet 9 or similar air charter outfit, hopped on the G4 as soon as it arrived at the local out-of-the-way airstrip, and beat cheeks to the nearest extradition free zone, where I'm sure his money was stashed a long time ago.

I will be amazed if he shows up in court again. I can imagine he and Ken Lay sipping mai tais pool side in some comfortably quiet spot...
far away from here.
I just assumed it was because he's a rich white guy and rich white guys get special privileges. Isn't that a law or something?
In Texas? Yes, I believe so. Whether federally mandated however...I think that's in the hands of the supremes and their undeclared effor to return the US to the original intent of the constitution as ratified...
the 3/5ths human part.
So it could be.
It could be.
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:01 pm Alex Jones Must Pay $4 Million To Sandy Hook Parents, And The Jury Isn’t Done Yet
Could the other parents also sue using the same evidence.[/b]
If this was a question,Yes.
Last edited by rolandson on Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Re: Alex Jones’ company files for bankruptcy midway through Sandy Hook damages trial

Awesome. Punitive damages is almost certainly warranted in this case where a very public personality actively made money off defaming a group of people.
Supreme Court indicated that a 4:1 ratio between punitive damages and compensatory damages can be high and a 10:1 ratio can almost certainly be unconstitutional.
So let’s be generous and call it good at 4:1. A nice round number of $20 million all in. Good ‘ol Alex can afford to pay half and keep workin’ them chops a few more years to pay the rest off!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

'Cat's out of the bag': Alex Jones' ex-wife says 'a lot of people will be interested' in her 'insider info'

The ex-wife of InfoWars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones expected he was having a moment of sudden comprehension after he was found guilty of defamation after lying about the Sandy Hook Elementary school massacre.
His ex-wife, Kelly Jones, told Inside Edition, "I know that he's hidden money."

"I think he's got a lot of buckets under a lot of shelves," she said.
Kelly Jones is also seeking information in her ongoing child custody battle. She has also reached out to the House select committee, offering "relevant insider info."

"I think we definitely saw him getting caught committing aggravated perjury," she said. "I think you saw somebody really having a what we call in Texas a 'Come to Jesus moment,' or whatever you want to call it and I think that the cat's out of the bag, and a lot of people are gonna be interested in that information."
Full article here https://www.rawstory.com/alex-jones-ex-wife/

Alex Jones should have taken the advice to heart, " Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned.”
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

D’oh!
Even if they epstein Alex Jones now the phone and ex- will still sing tunes about Jan 6th. Nah, Alex will live (pitifully) to see the empire of hate he built around him crumble and we (along with the Sandy Hook parents) will finally know what schadenfreude actually tastes like.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

And this of course will figure into calculating the punitive damages part of the trial:
...the legal team for the families has already delivered damaging testimony from former Infowars employee Rob Jacobson who worked for the show from 2004 to 2017 after being personally hired by Jones.

In a video deposition, Jacobson revealed that he felt “complicit” about Jones’ radio show pushing the conspiracy theory even though he was not directly involved with the segments. However, Jacobson testified that he tried to put a stop to the Sandy Hook lies, but was mocked for his efforts. Via HuffPost:

“When [Sandy Hook] would come on the screen, I would make it my business to go in to the writers and explain to them as clearly as possible … what those ethics are and why they are violating them and what the damage could possibly be,” Jacobson said.

“I must have been in that room four to five times, at least, and only to be received with laughter and jokes,” he added.

After his deposition was played, a “nervous” yet “frustrated” Jacobson further elaborated on the experience for the jury during Friday’s proceedings.

“I mean, it’s one thing to make a mistake,” Jacobson said. “It’s something else to have it pointed out to you not just once, but over, and over, and over and over again, and to not only hear the damage that you’re doing to people outside of your zone, but to actually laugh about it.”
https://uproxx.com/viral/alex-jones-san ... tleblower/

Civil judgements are a lot of show, but monetary damages will probably get reduced as it goes through the appeals process. Civil juries are notorious for awarding large sums to victims, then judges reduce amounts and the families will probably end up suing Jones to collect. Texas civil juries award a lot. I expect Jones to take this into the federal courts arguing 1st Amendment rights.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

$4.1 million.
Chump change.
I can't imagine a more insulting slap in the plaintiff's face.
$40m, perhaps. $400 million is saying something.

Let's see if they, the jury, have any honor when punitives are handed down.
Keeping in mind that in many jurisdictions a punitive award is divided in half; split between the state and the plaintiffs...because punitives are intended to punish, not reward.
We Are So Screwed

$45.2 million in punitive damages awarded to plaintiffs.

Alex Jones owes $49M + in total to Sandy Hook Family for his brazen stupidity.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 355419.php

Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:36 pm Well, that is just one family so far. Have to leave some money in the (fat) kitty for the next Sandy Hook family in line. And the next...
These Alex Jones assholes are not the issue, it’s our inability to address the underlying reasons for our dysfunctional society. One can sue all they want and it won’t correct the underlying causes.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:42 pm
Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:36 pm Well, that is just one family so far. Have to leave some money in the (fat) kitty for the next Sandy Hook family in line. And the next...
These Alex Jones assholes are not the issue, it’s our inability to address the underlying reasons for our dysfunctional society. One can sue all they want and it won’t correct the underlying causes.
Agree. The fact that rabid fuck has an audience is telling of all kinds of societal ills.

My understanding is that things like this are just a show to make the poors think rich people are occasionally held responsible. Can someone who understands it better tell me what this actually means? After the refusals to pay and the appeals and the subsequent lawsuits and the various judges who will lower the amount and blah blah blah, how much, if any, will he actually have to pay? Or is that even a thing for rich people?

And will the fact that he perjured himself actually matter, or does that get the "hey, I'm rich" treatment too?
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Greengunner wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:25 pm My understanding is that things like this are just a show to make the poors think rich people are occasionally held responsible. Can someone who understands it better tell me what this actually means? After the refusals to pay and the appeals and the subsequent lawsuits and the various judges who will lower the amount and blah blah blah, how much, if any, will he actually have to pay? Or is that even a thing for rich people?

And will the fact that he perjured himself actually matter, or does that get the "hey, I'm rich" treatment too?
Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:44 pm Good question. Will they now have to try him separately on the perjury charge?
Ah, no and no
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wo ... rcna41700
We Are So Screwed

I expect that Alex Jones may face the Richard Scrushy penalty: Since Scrushy lived in Alabama, rather than Florida, his home wasn't protected against seizure in a bankruptcy. The Court auctioned off EVERYTHING he owned, including tableware, his clothing, EVERYTHING! Scrushy had run HealthSouth like the paranoid, sadistic dictator he was, tapping phone lines of employees, treating them like it was an antebellum plantation. Scrushy had EVERYTHING, every penny, seized by the Court and went to jail.

My wife had the misfortune to have to visit his offices before Scrushy was indicted. She, who is generally fearless, found him terrifying, quite willing to go outside the Law if he got an unfavorable report. Bad things seemed to happen... She simply refused to cover HealthSouth. He was more dangerous than Trump (pre-politics), who merely got analysts who criticized him fired by threatening law suits.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

If we alter our brains enough, we can watch the yin yang symbol spin that curious sense of our own--the battle between chaos and order, between good and bad, between oil and vinegar. We're watching a bare knuckle street fight from our third floor hotel windows. Keep your door locked and your head on a swivel. Enjoy the show.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

F4FEver wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:45 am
Bisbee wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:28 pm $45.2 million in punitive damages awarded to plaintiffs.

Alex Jones owes $49M + in total to Sandy Hook Family for his brazen stupidity.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 355419.php
Also 2 or 3 more lawsuits in the wings..Precedent set...bleed this fat, lying, trump lemming dry.
then jail him ten years for perjury. Broke and in the slammer. That's the ticket.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Why Texas law will protect 'charlatan' Alex Jones from real accountability

Jones’ critics were delighted by the decisions, and some of those critics predicted that they would lead to total bankruptcy for Infowars and put Jones out of business. But tech lawyer Greg Doucette, in an article published by the conservative website The Bulwark on August 11, laments that “charlatan” Jones is unlikely to pay all of that money. And Doucette, himself a scathing critic of Jones, argues that Texas law is likely to shield the Infowars host from true “accountability.”
Doucette explains, “The trial on damages ended last week, with a jury finding Jones should pay $4.1 million in compensatory damages to two parents, followed by a separate award of punitive damages, called ‘exemplary’ damages in Texas, in the amount of $45.2 million. Maybe this sounds low to you, based on what a pile of human garbage Jones is. But the truth is actually worse. Jones will never pay that $45.2 million. Because of tort reform caps, those punitive damages are going (to) get pared back to a meager $750,000.”

The tech attorney goes on to describe, in detail, how civil law works in Texas, where Jones is based. According to Doucette, Texas has an “exemplary damages cap formula” — and when it is applied to Jones, Doucette predicts, he will be able to avoid paying the full $45.2 million in punitive damages that the Austin jury decided he should pay.
Full article here https://www.alternet.org/2022/08/alex-jones-2657846712/

Well take the $750,000 and take the rest out of his hide.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:52 am
Why Texas law will protect 'charlatan' Alex Jones from real accountability

SNIP
Full article here https://www.alternet.org/2022/08/alex-jones-2657846712/

Well take the $750,000 and take the rest out of his hide.
I have visions of liposuction to extract fat from this tub of shit to make fuel oil for lamps - starting with his fat head if they can extract it from his ass.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.