Re: Review of the FN Five-Seven MRD

I’m curious why you would not pack around 20 rounds of 5.7 for daily carry? Weight? Because each 5.7 round happens to be very light compared to a 9mm round. In fact I believe 20 rounds of 5.7 may feel the same or even lighter on the hip than carrying 17 rounds of 9mm (defensive rounds).
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I have to admit when I see gun reviewers talk about new models of pistols in terms of its looks (“more modern” “cleaner lines” “streamlined”) or design options for adding accessories, it tires me. I understand that plastic fantástics are all the same and you may have to come up with filler words to for a video but these gun reviewers seem to like that they are trying to sell you a car or something exciting when it’s just a nothingburger. Maybe for average Americans firearms truly have become like automobiles with regular updates based on styling (Glock again leading this way in the gun industry). But I don’t buy that. It just doesn’t feel very purposeful. It smacks of marketing and little else. Thank goodness firearms enthusiasts still will not (yet) accept “planned obsolescence” in any of its products like just about every other industry. Something about guns naturally places it outside the modern aesthetics or values (IMHO) to stand on its own for perpetuity.

Like the writings of Walt Whitman, you resonate with it or you don’t. You have to make the effort to go to it. It doesn’t cater to you.

Or maybe my age is finally showing.

Anyway, smooth-talking fanboy sporting the latest fashion talking about accessories that cost more than the firearm itself as de-rigueur? -Nope.
(Likewise those who post videos for ad revenues can give a crap about folks like me who don’t make frivolous purchases or follow the latest trends.)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sikacz wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:33 am I maybe a bit odd, but I like guns that conceal. If it doesn’t fit in my pocket it’s likely not going to be carried. Number of rounds is not in even in my radar, five will do for me.
You're not, same here. I'm unlikely to ever use a concealed carry pistol, so I don't want to carry a brick around. Cops are paid to run into conflicts I'm not, I'd avoid physical conflicts unless cornered and to protect myself and others.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:33 am I maybe a bit odd, but I like guns that conceal. If it doesn’t fit in my pocket it’s likely not going to be carried. Number of rounds is not in even in my radar, five will do for me.
Is that even legal where you live? Only 5 rounds? :wave:

I don't go to a lot of gun forums(been banned by one-tee hee)..but the 'discussion' of what is the 'one true way' of any gun anything is always interesting...'Should' be 'what works for ME' but....these all tacticool reviews sometimes really crack me up. The whole 30 super carry is a good example. The ONLY bad news, for ME, is that I'm really happy with my mix..handguns, rifles, etc...so not looking to buy anything new..which is kinda a bummer. A 'new gun' is fun stuff...

BUT, what do I do with my carry gun? I carry it, and shoot it at the range(hope the outdoor one opens soon)..doubt I'll ever really need it to shoot a 'bad guy'...so reliability, fun to shoot, easily carry are the priorities, to me. ANY gun I have has to be FTS..otherwise, it's adios.

I don’t have a 5.7 but I have shot a Ruger 57 and the FN PS90. 5.7 is ridiculously fun to shoot due to extremely low recoil — barely more recoil than .22LR. It’s not something that I would carry but for range fun, it is its own niche.
It’s surprising to me that none of the 5.7 handguns are available with OEM threaded barrels because several rimfire suppressors are now rated for 5.7, which would mean it would theoretically be very economical to suppress 5.7–this would somewhat mitigate the sting of the MSRP of these guns. The ammunition is also expensive compared to 9mm.

F4FEver wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:31 am
Is that even legal where you live? Only 5 rounds? :wave:

I don't go to a lot of gun forums(been banned by one-tee hee)..but the 'discussion' of what is the 'one true way' of any gun anything is always interesting...'Should' be 'what works for ME' but....these all tacticool reviews sometimes really crack me up. The whole 30 super carry is a good example. The ONLY bad news, for ME, is that I'm really happy with my mix..handguns, rifles, etc...so not looking to buy anything new..which is kinda a bummer. A 'new gun' is fun stuff...

BUT, what do I do with my carry gun? I carry it, and shoot it at the range(hope the outdoor one opens soon)..doubt I'll ever really need it to shoot a 'bad guy'...so reliability, fun to shoot, easily carry are the priorities, to me. ANY gun I have has to be FTS..otherwise, it's adios.
I’m definitely in the whatever works for an individual group. Just five might be illegal here in Texas! LoL 😂 I’m prepared though, I could carry one in each pocket! Seriously, though, a gun that is not suited to an individual will not be carried if it feels inconvenient. So carrying something you are comfortable with is a key factor. It is for me anyway. It’s like grabbing my cell phone, it just slips into my pocket. Nothing against other peoples choices, thought this conversation brought out interesting points. I’d have to shoot one to really have definitive position on this particular gun. I don’t need accessories, they tend to limit carry options. I generally walk around in business casual and prefer concealed. I doubt anyone has ever noticed that I carry. Which is the way I want it. I am a bit of an esthetic snob, I like my tools to have design.
844CF49D-D8A5-4D8E-987A-F6DE75A1C81B.jpeg
AD1ECCDB-13BE-4D74-B867-17E716EC8CFE.jpeg
My ideas on any tool is similar , got to look nice too and function.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I've owned the FN Five-seveN mk2, the Ruger 57, and the PSA Rock 5.7.

The FN is a top quality pistol, no question about it, no regrets on owning (or carrying) it. The real surprise for me was how much better the PSA Rock 57 is than the Ruger, and in some ways, even the FN.

Once I got my hands on the PSA the ruger went out the door maybe 2 or 3 days later. The PSA does everything the ruger does but better, and for cheaper. I've got several of the PSA Rocks now and I have not had a bad experience with anything about them, which is not something I can say about the Ruger-57's I've had.

I took all 3 to the range and the trigger on the PSA was vastly superior to the ruger, and was honestly better than my FN.
Accuracy was great from all 3 guns, but using common (and cheap) glock sights makes the PSA a winner here for me.
Magazine capacity is an obvious win for the PSA, although I've had decent luck with the pro-mag 30 rounders in my fn, ymmv (all the ruger mag extensions I have seen are a joke, and a terrible joke at that. F5 mfg is forever trash in my mind now.)
Price for the PSA starts at 500, Ruger is around 600, FN is OUCH, another win for PSA.
Magazine design is one area where I 100% prefer my FN. I run some specialty loadings for my five seven stuff, and the FN magazine design is just better at preventing hiccups (specifically the front of the rounds crossing eachother), however I have not had any issues with factory ammo in the Rock...yet.
The grip and design on the PSA is also great, and most folks I've handed it to have been really impressed.

TLDR; if you're going to buy the ruger 57, buy the PSA Rock 57 instead.

I totally agree, though I like 7+1 or 8+1 of 9mm in 20oz loaded with laser, in the size of a micro .380 (Kahr PM9).

Small, lightweight, DAO for safety, pocket or IWB, easy to conceal.

Aside from the evil cult LOL (by used to avoid that...), what's not to like?
Last edited by DJD100 on Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:11 pm Usually the gun is too bulky even at 15 round mags. Hard to conceal.
Weight prolly weighs into it as well. Its hard to keep the pants from sliding down.
If i was an LEO or something it would be a different story.
Yup, agree. I guess 'some' CC a full sized handgun, like a Glock 17 or this, everyday but...pretty tough in warm weather and even my Glcok 48 pulls me pants down....