Re: SCOTUS issues decision overturning Roe v Wade and Casey

highdesert wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:11 pm This decision doesn't preclude Congress from passing a law legalizing abortion nationwide, but I don't see Democrats ever having 60 votes to overcome a Senate filibuster. So there will be some states where surgical abortion is legal and some where it is not.
With the same idea only in reverse. If the Repugs gain control of the Congress with a solid majority they could pass laws that forbid any abortion nationwide.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

They're not going to stop there.
"The Consitution does not confer a right to abortion," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the majority opinion, a draft of which was leaked to much uproar months ago. "It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people's elected representatives."

Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh all wrote their own concurring opinions. In his concurrence, Thomas wrote that the court should now "reconsider" its decisions that found a right to contraception, sex between consenting adult men, and same-sex marriage — and "correct the error" made in cases like "Griswold, Lawerence and Obergefell."
These people are telling you what they are going to do; believe them.
Last edited by Resume on Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CDFingers wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:53 pm
Yes. Check this out from scotusblog

The only way we can restore the court — and democracy itself — is to add seats, and the only window to act is now. That’s why I welcome this opportunity to dive into concerns I hear from well-meaning skeptics.
https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/03/the- ... expansion/

Worthy discussion.

CDFingers
Now it's too fucking late! Typical of Democrats--looking to close the barn door after the horse has killed Roe v Wade.
The Court should have been expanded in Feb 2021. All they needed was to say was no justice should administer more than 1 circuit and add 3 justices, one for each of the 12 circuits. This is why McConnell wins even when he loses--he's always looking 10, 20, 30 years ahead. Idiots like Manchin and Sinema are barely looking to their next election.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I said years ago the dems should have had a goal to expand the court. Of course that would have meant we now would have been faced with a diminished or neutered second, but roe would have been safe. The thing is, even RBG recognized there was a flaw in the roe decision. The dems should have acted decades ago to ensure a woman has autonomy over her body and would never lose her rights for nine months. Our system and our people are f’up. There should never ever be 6 justices with a catholic background or influence. Stupid.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Don't tell anyone but abortions still happened even when it was illegal nationwide.

This decision simply means that a lot of women will face an additional risk factor that is totally unreasonable and avoidable as well as additional difficulty, legality issues and guilt.

But it's just women.

What's not to love.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Men have no business dictating women's health to women.
Unfortunately, those who've lost their right to autonomy, and their supporters, are ill equipped to assert themselves and are almost completely unprepared to act in their own defense in any capacity. Largely by their own choosing.
This is not going to end well.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement Friday, in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, that states cannot ban mifepristone, a medication that is used to bring about an abortion, based on disagreement with the federal government on its safety and efficacy. With Roe overturned, prescribed drugs that terminate pregnancies are likely to become the next major contention between abortion rights activists and opponents of abortion rights.

Already, almost half of U.S. states have banned or tightly restricted abortion pills — two medicines named mifepristone and misoprostol — and more could soon follow suit, Axios' Oriana Gonzalez, Ashley Gold and Jacque Schrag report. Mifepristone and misoprostol have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. The agency in December lifted long-standing restrictions on mifepristone, allowing doctors to prescribe the medication online and send them to patients by mail. Misoprostol was available with a prescription before the FDA's decision. Despite the changes, many states have moved to make it illegal for doctors to mail the medications.

For example, Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) signed a law in June making it illegal for anyone to mail abortion pills, punishable by up to five years in prison and a $50,000 fine. What they're saying: "The Department strongly supports efforts by Congress to codify Americans’ reproductive rights, which it retains the authority to do. We also support other legislative efforts to ensure access to comprehensive reproductive services," Garland said in the statement Friday.

"And we stand ready to work with other arms of the federal government that seek to use their lawful authorities to protect and preserve access to reproductive care," he added. "In particular, the FDA has approved the use of the medication Mifepristone. States may not ban Mifepristone based on disagreement with the FDA’s expert judgment about its safety and efficacy." It is far from settled law as to whether states can ban the pills, and the issue will likely have to be litigated in the courts, though there's really no clear precedent, according to the Washington Post.
https://www.axios.com/2022/06/24/merric ... state-bans

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TrueTexan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:28 pm This may just get many more women out to vote Dem. In November.
I wish that were true but unfortunately a significant number of the folk trying to ban abortions ARE women.

But that simply highlights another issue that should be addressed; just what does the 19th Amendment mean? Of course women should have the right to vote but only as long as they vote as their husband, older brother or father says.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sikacz wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:58 am I hope this would get dems to select the issues they want to fight in 2022 and 2024. Hopefully they don’t keep pitting one right against another.
Yup, last week had it's high high and low low. Bruen was the high after over 10 years without a major SCOTUS gun case win and Dobbs was the low, though we saw it coming after Politico leaked the draft opinion. Roe was doomed when Harry Reid tampered with the filibuster, Republicans always told us they wanted to over turn Roe and they did. Democrats want everyone to have access to abortion but be allowed to tightly control firearms in their own states, but blame red states for their gun violence issues. SCOTUS stirred the pot.

The world is full of "wrongs" and Democrats feel they have to "right" every one of them, they can't and they look unfocused. And the media pushes them into chasing every cause. Democrats can't be everything to everyone, but they haven't found issues that appeal to most voters. Republicans are better at finding issues with broader support and then messaging them.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Harvard Constitutional Law Expert Says Justice 'Misleadingly' Quoted Him In Roe Ruling

Outspoken Harvard University Law Professor Laurence Tribe on Saturday accused conservative Supreme Court justices of “misleadingly quoting” him to justify their decision to throw out Roe v. Wade.
“Don’t be fooled,” warned Tribe, an expert on the Constitution. “The writings from which the Court cherry-picked my quotes were totally supportive of the result in Roe,” he added.
Full article here: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/laurenc ... 61736b4b14

My English teachers and my Nursing professors would have had me drawn and quartered if I had ever written a paper misusing the quotes of other jurists like they did on this decision.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Since Roe became law in 1973, a powerful consensus has been building among legal authorities left and right that Roe was constructed not on the breakwater of constitutional logic but on the seafoam of judicial activism. Here’s just a brief sampling from the left. And understand, I could easily add 20 more examples just like these:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Supreme Court Justice): "The political process was moving in the early 1970 ...not swiftly enough for advocates for quick, complete change, but majoritarian institutions were listening and acting. (Roe’s) heavy-handed judicial intervention was difficult to justify and appears to have provoked, not resolved, conflict." Edward Lazarus (attorney, clerk to Roe-author Justice Harry Blackmun): “As a matter of constitutional interpretation and judicial method, Roe borders on the indefensible. I say this as someone utterly committed to the right to choose, as someone who believes such a right has grounding elsewhere in the Constitution instead of where Roe placed it, and as someone who loved Roe’s author like a grandfather. ...(Roe) has little connection to the constitutional right it purportedly interpreted."

Jeffrey Rosen (Legal Affairs Editor, The New Republic): “In short, 30 years later, it seems increasingly clear that this pro-choice magazine was correct in 1973 when it criticized Roe on constitutional grounds. Its overturning would be the best thing that could happen to the federal judiciary, the pro-choice movement and the moderate majority of the American people." Michael Kinsley (Opinion editor, Los Angeles Times; co-host of Crossfire): “Although I am pro-choice, I was taught in law school, and still believe, that Roe v. Wade is a muddle of bad reasoning and an authentic example of judicial overreaching. I also believe it was a political disaster for liberals. Roe is what first politicized religious conservatives while cutting off a political process that was legalizing abortion state by state anyway. Three decades later, that awakened giant controls the government.”
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 731452001/

highdesert wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:59 am
Since Roe became law in 1973, a powerful consensus has been building among legal authorities left and right that Roe was constructed not on the breakwater of constitutional logic but on the seafoam of judicial activism. Here’s just a brief sampling from the left. And understand, I could easily add 20 more examples just like these:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Supreme Court Justice): "The political process was moving in the early 1970 ...not swiftly enough for advocates for quick, complete change, but majoritarian institutions were listening and acting. (Roe’s) heavy-handed judicial intervention was difficult to justify and appears to have provoked, not resolved, conflict." Edward Lazarus (attorney, clerk to Roe-author Justice Harry Blackmun): “As a matter of constitutional interpretation and judicial method, Roe borders on the indefensible. I say this as someone utterly committed to the right to choose, as someone who believes such a right has grounding elsewhere in the Constitution instead of where Roe placed it, and as someone who loved Roe’s author like a grandfather. ...(Roe) has little connection to the constitutional right it purportedly interpreted."

Jeffrey Rosen (Legal Affairs Editor, The New Republic): “In short, 30 years later, it seems increasingly clear that this pro-choice magazine was correct in 1973 when it criticized Roe on constitutional grounds. Its overturning would be the best thing that could happen to the federal judiciary, the pro-choice movement and the moderate majority of the American people." Michael Kinsley (Opinion editor, Los Angeles Times; co-host of Crossfire): “Although I am pro-choice, I was taught in law school, and still believe, that Roe v. Wade is a muddle of bad reasoning and an authentic example of judicial overreaching. I also believe it was a political disaster for liberals. Roe is what first politicized religious conservatives while cutting off a political process that was legalizing abortion state by state anyway. Three decades later, that awakened giant controls the government.”
https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion ... 731452001/
This is why I’m not completely pissed at the SCOTUS. I’m more pissed at the politicians mostly dems that did not work to create a better foundation for women’s autonomy and independence since Roe. Side note, any senator who accepted what any of these recent judges said at their hearings and believed it are fools. That includes you collins.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:09 pm This is why I’m not completely pissed at the SCOTUS.
I'm fucking outraged at SCOTUS but I understand how they did what they did. I even rationally understand why. But fuck them for throwing women under the bus and destabilizing the rest of the "privacy" rights. It wasn't necessary and is going to cause huge fucking problems. And, fuck the Dems for not codifying the right.