Michigan class teaches gun safety to children

https://www.wxyz.com/news/local-class-a ... gun-safety
They started offering the gun safety course, designed for both parents and kids, in 2021 after seeing a rash of accidental shootings on the news.

“The younger we educate people, they’ll have these good habits ingrained in them," Johnson told Action News.

His thought? Teach kids young and often the dangers of firearms, what to do if you see one at a friend's home or lying around unsecured, and also how to safely use a firearm when appropriate.

Johnson wanted parents involved in the classes too.

"We have some parents that just have firearms that have been passed down due to relatives passing away and they just have it lying around and really don’t know what to do with it," he said.

The class costs $5, and fills up each time.
I wish there were more classes like this.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: Michigan class teaches gun safety to children

F4FEver wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:45 am But, another example of 'pass the buck'. I think this ought to be taught by responsible, gun owning, parents. After my own CCW class debacle, with the worthless, clueless instructor, I have not much faith in 'gun instructors', even at $5.
Except that would mean those families without guns would not get expose or training. I disagree. The more people reached the better and it doesn’t mean those families with access to guns shouldn’t start on their own. Also having a lame instructor is not an excuse to dismiss a program or approach. Instead it means we should work to make sure instructors are better. Lastly even some gun owning parents have been known to be negligent and could do with safety reminders.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:56 am
F4FEver wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:45 am But, another example of 'pass the buck'. I think this ought to be taught by responsible, gun owning, parents. After my own CCW class debacle, with the worthless, clueless instructor, I have not much faith in 'gun instructors', even at $5.
Except that would mean those families without guns would not get expose or training. I disagree. The more people reached the better and it doesn’t mean those families with access to guns shouldn’t start on their own. Also having a lame instructor is not an excuse to dismiss a program or approach. Instead it means we should work to make sure instructors are better. Lastly even some gun owning parents have been known to be negligent and could do with safety reminders.
Yup, whether parents are gun owners or not is irrelevant, their children and the parents should still get firearms safety training. I'm for anything that is educational and beats back the fear factor that the anti-gunners use.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sikacz wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:56 am
Except that would mean those families without guns would not get exposed to training. I disagree. The more people reached the better and it doesn’t mean those families with access to guns shouldn’t start on their own. Also having a lame instructor is not an excuse to dismiss a program or approach. Instead it means we should work to make sure instructors are better. Lastly even some gun owning parents have been known to be negligent and could do with safety reminders.
NO requirement I have ever seen requires those who seek 'gun training' to be gun owners.

Be willing to bet, as a volunteer program, the number of kids from gun-less households is teeny, tiny.

Interesting that you 'assume' 'gun instructors' are mostly great but 'assume' 'some' gun owning parents aren't. My 'instructor' was 'NRA certified'. Besides ZERO way to critique the class, pretty sure the NRA wouldn't have listened either.

Yup, even tho only $90...I have little faith in any organized 'gun training', particularly those sponsored or implemented by the nra.

I grew up in Fresno where it was hot as fuck in the summer. Every year, kids and adults would drown in the many open irrigation channels around town. I recall "don't drown" safety classes in elementary school aimed specifically at staying out of those irrigation ditches and what to do should you somehow find yourself in one. I don't believe anybody in particular owned the irrigation ditches, at least not those trying to use them to cool off. The education did, apparently, reduce drownings.

DougB1946 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:18 am The schools already teach how to drink safely, how to drive safely, how to walk across streets safely, and occasionally , how to think safely. Teaching how to exercise a constitutionally protected right seems to be logical. Maybe eventually, we can get the schools to teach how to vote rationally and how to recognize con artists from a safe distance.
Agree. There should be a class on recognizing fake news. I hear the Finns already have them.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

featureless wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:40 am I grew up in Fresno where it was hot as fuck in the summer. Every year, kids and adults would drown in the many open irrigation channels around town. I recall "don't drown" safety classes in elementary school aimed specifically at staying out of those irrigation ditches and what to do should you somehow find yourself in one. I don't believe anybody in particular owned the irrigation ditches, at least not those trying to use them to cool off. The education did, apparently, reduce drownings.
At minimum a PSA campaign repeated regularly. Who wants to argue about limiting information, I don’t.