6 people shot in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee, on Saturday night

Six people were shot, two of whom suffered life-threatening injuries, in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee, on Saturday night, police said.

Officers patrolling the area heard gunshots just after 11:45 p.m. in the Cherry Street and area arrived at a scene of "multiple parties exchanging gunfire and numerous people fleeing the area," said police.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/29/us/chat ... index.html

Yet another mass shooting. This sounds like a possible gang shootout. Needs more info.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: 6 people shot in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee, on Saturday night

I imagine some members here were also around when the cities were burning and the threat was more bombings than gang fights. Fairly often it was the the Move vs the Blues. Osage Avenue for example. But it was not just the Right Wing. The Weatherman Underground and SDS and SLA and NWLA and Brown Berets and Black Panthers were very much Left Wing Progressives.

Unfortunately the violence accomplished little and many of the problems they articulated and protested are the very same problems we face today. So much of the violence between the mid to late sixties and right through until the late 70s accomplished almost nothing and is not a period discussed in the common basic education system just as the even earlier labor strikes and the massive violent response by Corporate America.

As a nation we tend to remember only the past we invent in the present and so never truly learn the lessons painfully taught.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:56 pm I imagine some members here were also around when the cities were burning and the threat was more bombings than gang fights. Fairly often it was the the Move vs the Blues. Osage Avenue for example. But it was not just the Right Wing. The Weatherman Underground and SDS and SLA and NWLA and Brown Berets and Black Panthers were very much Left Wing Progressives.

Unfortunately the violence accomplished little and many of the problems they articulated and protested are the very same problems we face today. So much of the violence between the mid to late sixties and right through until the late 70s accomplished almost nothing and is not a period discussed in the common basic education system just as the even earlier labor strikes and the massive violent response by Corporate America.

As a nation we tend to remember only the past we invent in the present and so never truly learn the lessons painfully taught.
My own experience with history classes has been that a general US History class got far enough behind the plan that recent-ish history (like from 1950 to present) was barely covered if at all. To be fair, I haven't attended classes in almost thirty years, but even what I got was not at all in-depth. I get better history lessons from the "Letters from an American" series written by Heather Cox Richardson that gets delivered to my email inbox almost daily.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

BearPaws wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:11 pm

My own experience with history classes has been that a general US History class got far enough behind the plan that recent-ish history (like from 1950 to present) was barely covered if at all. To be fair, I haven't attended classes in almost thirty years, but even what I got was not at all in-depth. I get better history lessons from the "Letters from an American" series written by Heather Cox Richardson that gets delivered to my email inbox almost daily.
HCR is a national treasure!
-Crow
Minute Of Average