Howdy from Ohio!

Hey everyone from the flatlands of northwest Ohio.

Have been popping my head in the Discord because I whiffed on my forum approval e-mail....so here's my official introduction.

I come from a family of deep New Deal Democrats and a fairly progressive upbringing for largely growing up in the midwest. Firearms, though, were never part of my upbringing and my stance of the second amendment as an adult put me at odds with the family at times. It took me quite a while to actually own my own but after being a victim of an assault finally dug my heals in and bought my first firearm, a Shield 9mm. My "collection" is pretty small and my time (and $$) to train is pretty minimal but hopefully that improves.

I live with my wife and 4 cats and a dog. The misses is medically disabled with chronic illness but is an aspiring writer of LGBTQ friendly young adult books (currently on submission with publishers...fingers crossed!). The last few years of MAGA and COVID have been scary times for us, as I'm sure it has been for many round here. After Jan. 6 I realized things "on the other side" were becoming too much to ignore. Despite being someone who in normal times would consider themselves fairly "centrist"....well....I guess I just can't sit on that idealism anymore. I started looking into 2A friendly groups that were either apolitical or at minimum just not deeply entrenched in far right politics. And that lead me here. Read a lot of the info on the page and absolutely love the ideals of addressing root cause. Took me awhile to actually join, but again the SCOTUS leak was another kick in the ass that despite being a peaceful person people I love and care about are in serious danger.

I'm eagerly looking forward to learning. My attempts to find classes and training have largely been stymied by most of them being run by people that I'd rather not affiliate with and pretty inspired by the fact that this group not only exists but has so many active members.

Re: Howdy from Ohio!

Welcome from northern California. We're glad you're here to learn more about how safely to handle your guns. Once the bullet leaves the barrel you no longer have control of it. So here are the four rules--only four, which you should memorize such that easily you could recite them in the supermarket aisle.

* A gun is always loaded
*Only point the gun at something that's OK to destroy
*Keep the finger off the trigger until the gun is pointed at the target
*Know the target and what's behind it

To have bad things happen with a gun, we'd need to break two of those rules simultaneously. It's true that training is very important. One neat way is to get some snap caps. I use my light switch on the wall as a target, after having instigated recitation of the four rules, paying close attention to the first.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Welcome! from the southern end of Interstate 71!

What CDFingers posted is a great reminder, and I recite those four rules to myself regularly!

Pull up a stump and set a spell!
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

o/

Ohio isn't very active on the forum, but there's - er, digits of us? The nucleus of the Ohio chapter seems to be in Dayton but not on the forum. As I've put the distancing in social media, I'm pretty vague on the official workings of the club statewide. Point is, you might have some decent options to your south. I shoot at an ODNR range, knew someone who worked at another. Check out your local options on the ODNR website.
https://ohiodnr.gov/discover-and-learn/ ... t+shooting

Ohio law has changed recently and we're now a Constitutional carry state. You don't need to get the class - although I enjoyed mine, 8 hours with 2 on the range - and you don't need to get fingerprinted or background checked by the local sheriff's office. I still recommend it and paying for the formal license. If you ever travel out of state while armed, you'll probably need it, and we have a lot of reciprocal recognition agreements with other states. Plus, one more form of government issued photo ID.

Most people shoot for training and sport most of the time. Defensive training is good, but don't forget to have fun.

wings wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:36 pm o/

Ohio isn't very active on the forum, but there's - er, digits of us? The nucleus of the Ohio chapter seems to be in Dayton but not on the forum. As I've put the distancing in social media, I'm pretty vague on the official workings of the club statewide. Point is, you might have some decent options to your south. I shoot at an ODNR range, knew someone who worked at another. Check out your local options on the ODNR website.

Ohio law has changed recently and we're now a Constitutional carry state. You don't need to get the class - although I enjoyed mine, 8 hours with 2 on the range - and you don't need to get fingerprinted or background checked by the local sheriff's office. I still recommend it and paying for the formal license. If you ever travel out of state while armed, you'll probably need it, and we have a lot of reciprocal recognition agreements with other states. Plus, one more form of government issued photo ID.

Most people shoot for training and sport most of the time. Defensive training is good, but don't forget to have fun.

I've had my CCW for a bit now. Took the class twice because the first time I was admittedly too lazy to actually submit my damn forms til it expired. I'm still glad to have it for reciprocity sake since being near the MI border I pop up that way often enough. First class was quite good and got a lot of solid legal information. Second one was pretty sketchy and lead by a chap with Oath Keeper patches. Hence...I've been wary of seeking out training without knowing who I'm getting in bed with so to speak.

PoB wrote:
wings wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:36 pm o/

I've had my CCW for a bit now. Took the class twice because the first time I was admittedly too lazy to actually submit my damn forms til it expired. I'm still glad to have it for reciprocity sake since being near the MI border I pop up that way often enough. First class was quite good and got a lot of solid legal information. Second one was pretty sketchy and lead by a chap with Oath Keeper patches. Hence...I've been wary of seeking out training without knowing who I'm getting in bed with so to speak.
Yeah, that’s tough to navigate here. Lots of those types in the firearms community.

Interestingly, the competitive shooting community is less like that. At least in my admittedly, past experience.

I was involved in a weekly USPSA match in the 2013 timeframe (Dayton Area) and we had a trans-woman who shot with us every week, sometime time in “men’s” clothes and sometimes in “women’s” clothes. As far as I know she wasn’t hassled at all, and the general consensus it was good that she was going to be able to defend herself from bigots. Everyone talked about guns and shooting, not so much about politics as we were setting up & tearing down.

Ultimately, it’s hitting the target under a time pressure that earns respect in a shooting match. And improving your ability to do so.

Personally I do my own thing on my own property, and like [mention]wings [/mention]

Utilize the ODNR range 20 mins away when I want to shoot rifles. I’ve found it’s best to avoid Fri-Sunday, so I usually shoot weds Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekend shooting is the best way to catch brass from your neighbors or see less-than optimal range safety habits, darn tootin'. I found shooting and social distancing went together hand and glove, but someday I might make my way out to a club event. In the meantime, I highly recommend the club 'postal' matches - I guess it's silhouette style this summer? They're a good way to do something competitive without the pressure of doing well. Speaking from experience.