Re: my 1911 saga.

Took the two Tisas 1911s to the range this morning to continue the function checks. The smaller commander size like the larger Government size ran flawlessly with zero failure to feed, zero failure to fire and zero failure to eject. Still working with OLD ammo bought at least 20 years ago so in all I was very surprised and satisfied with the two examples.

One thing needs to be noted and one problem really does exist.

First the problem. The full size 1911A1 mag release button just flat doesn't work with my 8 round Check-Mate magazines. The mags fit and lock in place and feed and fire and drop when empty as they should but it is near impossible to push the mag release in to drop a magazine when it is full. Even with a slightly reduced strength #2 Wolff Reduced Power Mag Spring when an full 8 round magazine is inserted it takes two hands to force the release catch in. Seven rounders are fine and the 8 round mags loaded minus one cartridge work okay. But the 8 round mags work and drop in the Commander sized Tisas as expected.

Second, the thing to be noted. Old Triton 185gr Hi-Vel +P ammo, stuff made by the original company and not the folk from Miami that bought the name, flat pounds your hand significantly more in the Commander than from the full size version. I was really surprised just how big a difference it made. It is still controllable and return to POA is fine but if I shot more that a couple mags of it in a session I'd definitely feel it the next day. Gotta admit it was really surprisingly accurate though. Almost made me look good.

After cleanup when I returned home I did anther five set trigger pull measurement on each of the guns and the Government model is still at just over 4 pounds average while the Commander size is at a significantly lower 3.5 to 3.75 pounds average. Mags used in each gun today were two Check-Mate 7 round, two Check-Mate 8 round, two Mec-Gar 7 round and one old Ed Brown (most likely also Check-Mate) 7 round. Ammo was all really old stuff I bought at least two decades ago and mostly de-mooned 230gr ball UMC with most of the leftover Triton Hi-Vel 185gr +P JHP.

The old S&W 469 also went WalkAbout and so it too got some range time. I only had three loaded mags but they were one old RamLine 15 founder and two S&W 59 15 rounders so 46 rounds all told. The ammo was from Inceptor which used a frangible bullet in a Jagerman brass so simply a JAG 9mm Luger head stamp. It too is likely at least a decade old, but was remarkably soft shooting and super accurate. I found two more clam shell boxes with what appears to be the same stuff once I got home. Not sure whether Inceptor is even still around.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Nice range report.
1911 triggers makes anyone look good as long as we do our part.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

What I find interesting is that, as I laid out in the OP, I simply could not enjoy either the Colt Series 80 or the semi-custom Dan Wesson Pointman/Patriot. Both of those were far more expensive than either of these Tisas models yet I find both of these quite enjoyable. Both have been more forgiving when it comes to ammo used or magazine choice than either of the more expensive higher lineage 1911s. Honestly, even the trigger feel on these two is at least equal to what I had on the Dan Wesson and far nicer than on the Series 80.

Granted, we are looking at a couple decades between each prior examples and so manufacture and technology has likely improved but both of these are throw backs in design to even before the Series 80.

So is the difference simply that the older design just more reliable?
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:17 am What I find interesting is that, as I laid out in the OP, I simply could not enjoy either the Colt Series 80 or the semi-custom Dan Wesson Pointman/Patriot. Both of those were far more expensive than either of these Tisas models yet I find both of these quite enjoyable. Both have been more forgiving when it comes to ammo used or magazine choice than either of the more expensive higher lineage 1911s. Honestly, even the trigger feel on these two is at least equal to what I had on the Dan Wesson and far nicer than on the Series 80.

Granted, we are looking at a couple decades between each prior examples and so manufacture and technology has likely improved but both of these are throw backs in design to even before the Series 80.

So is the difference simply that the older design just more reliable?
That's one of the reasons I went with the Springfield. My son has either a Les Baer or a Dan Wesson 1911. It's very, very nice. Looks so excellent. I shoot the same with it as I do with the Springer, but it's much more sensitive with the types of ammo it will shoot. My Springer shoots everything. It's not as tight as my son's and not as sweet looking. I'm good with it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I’m a big fan of the Chip McCormick power mags & shooting stars. I’ve tried Wilson combat, Ruger, Springfield & the chip McCormick are feeding as smooth as butter. They are a bit pricy but you can find them for $25 if you shop around.

In well maintained, quality, 1911, the magazine is really the only weak point in the system. I do carry mine from time to time, and only carry with the Chip McCormick’s which have proven 100% reliable with both hollow point and FMJ ammo. I like to carry a 10rd power mag as my back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk