Black students in Marjorie Taylor Greene's district sue schools for allowing Confederate flags but not BLM

A group of Black students have filed a lawsuit in Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's (R-GA) district alleging that the local school system discriminated against them while allowing white students to wear Confederate symbols.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Rome on Tuesday against Floyd County Schools.

The Black students said that they were suspended for organizing a protest over the killing of George Floyd. And the school allegedly forced them to wear their shirts inside out because of Black Lives Matter slogans or George Floyd images.

Meanwhile, white students were allegedly allowed to re-enact Floyd's killing at Coosa High. The white students were also allowed to wear Confederate flag symbols on shirts and belt buckles, the lawsuit said.

Floyd County Schools did not offer a response to the Journal-Constitution.The plaintiffs said that more information would be available at a press conference on Tuesday.
https://www.rawstory.com/floyd-county-schools-lawsuit/

Not a bit surprised. Racism is still a real thing in America.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Black students in Marjorie Taylor Greene's district sue schools for allowing Confederate flags but not BLM

Yes, she certainly is a symptom of a problem in society: ignorance + pride. But in wielding power she is both a symbol and lightening rod of the proudly ignorant. So she is very much the problem: one of the hydra heads of the fascism.

Diminishing MTG’s role and incendiary speech is akin to giving Hitler a pass for the rise of Nazi Germany. That just don’t pass the smell test...
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Re: Black students in Marjorie Taylor Greene's district sue schools for allowing Confederate flags but not BLM

I would have said "ignorance + fear", as I see very little true pride there. But maybe that's semantics.

Hitler was elected. MTG was elected. Without that vital step, where we voluntarily choose to hand them real power, the story turns out with a completely different ending. Diminishing either MTG or Hitler isn't done with words. It's done (or could have been done) with votes.

(As a side note, I've always wondered how Germans could be so stupid as to elect a man who showed who and what he was so clearly. Then I watched Trump get elected, and thought "oh, that's how it happened.")

Neither Hitler nor MTG are or were anything special. If it wasn't or isn't them, it would be someone just like them.

Meh, I don’t disagree.

Yes, ignorance + fear is an apt description. But as an Asian face standing in a room of white folks draped in flags down in SE AZ, an uncomfortable nationalism does pass for pride albeit a poor substitute for anything truly constructive. Indeed it’s been said that nationalistic pride may be a refuge for those who lack constructive pursuits.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi