Re: The place to shop ammo

I check WikiArms.com regularly, as well as AmmoSeek.com. If I didn't have decent sources close by, those sites would be of more value to me than they have been (I've bought from merchants who list on both sites). On the latter, one can filter for caliber, brand, case material, new/reloads, projectile weight, and more.

What I'm finding now, though, is that the advertised cost-per-round seems great, until one adds shipping costs. At that point, at least for the two calibers I stock for myself, I can buy Herter's at Cabela's for about the same money.

The big difference for me is, as you noted, buying larger quantities. At Cabela's, I have to have their credit card to buy more than five boxes (or fewer bulk packs). I can get 500 rounds of 9mm 115gr Herter's for less than two c-notes, but if I want to buy more, I have to split my trips, which costs fuel to get there.

I'm fortunate, in that most of my buying is about replacing what I'm using to practice rather than to stock up.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

jschmidt wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:24 pm If you're looking for ammo, particularly bulk ammo, the place to compare online prices is wikiarms.com. It lists current ammo prices from dozens of vendors.

Pro tip: Search caliber and amount from the search box not the ammo button.
All true along with the 5 or 6 other web search engines for ammo. BUT, unless they stop charging(oftimes REALLY high) $ for shipping, still cheaper to buy locally. I have had no problem getting the stuff I need(223/556, .380, 9mm, 38 spec) at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Murdoch's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Jax..Wally World recently even had Federal shorty's 12g, bird shot and 22LR mini-mag...

F4FEver wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:45 am
jschmidt wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:24 pm If you're looking for ammo, particularly bulk ammo, the place to compare online prices is wikiarms.com. It lists current ammo prices from dozens of vendors.

All true along with the 5 or 6 other web search engines for ammo. BUT, unless they stop charging(oftimes REALLY high) $ for shipping, still cheaper to buy locally. I have had no problem getting the stuff I need(223/556, .380, 9mm, 38 spec) at Bass Pro, Cabelas, Murdoch's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Jax..Wally World recently even had Federal shorty's 12g, bird shot and 22LR mini-mag...
For the most popular rounds, yeah, shopping local is usually my better option these days.

But I have friends who want stuff that isn't as popular, and that the local folks don't have or don't have at prices that are better than the online houses.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Some of us though don't have a Bass Pro, Cabelas, Murdoch's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Jax or much choice other than online.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:15 am

Some of us though don't have a Bass Pro, Cabelas, Murdoch's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Jax or much choice other than online.
True, and I don't give you any gaff for shopping online. I wish you had better options, of course.

I never pay more than about $30 shipping on 1,000 rnds. But yes, it's not a good solution for buying by the box.

I never pay more than about $30 shipping on 1,000 rnds. But yes, it's not a good solution for buying by the box.

I think the online places are going to bite it due to the ever increasing cost of freight.
Local stores get pallet prices but don't have to pay shipping, boxes, staff to stuff boxes.
They may ask more per round but it's across the counter and as ammo gets more plentiful the online ammo places will suffer.
It's just a convenience buy at this point.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”