Re: .45acp vs .45LC through layers of galvanized steel

Would be nice to know more about the ammunition. Looks like standard cowboy fare out of the Blackhawk. Ye gods, is that a 10.5" barrel on that thing? BBTI says that should be able to get something like 150 fps extra compared to a 5" barrel, and that's not even "+P" fare.

Sure, you can load .45 Colt hot, but as a low-pressure round that doesn't bleed as much out of the cylinder gap as the magnums, it really benefits from the longer tube. Expect that's what we're seeing here.

Also, you are remarkably well equipped to test this particular question more rigorously. We expect video.

wooglin wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:07 pm
CDFingers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:31 pm In the OP there's a youtube screen. Click the arrow.

CDFingers
There’s not. At least not that I can see. Big white space instead.
When I have issues like yours sometimes restarting my pc or phone helps.
I can see it clearly.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

In case there are issues with your screen, wooglin, here's the link:

https://youtu.be/VpB_0DvW9o0

Now, we have to know that factory .45acp is a 230 gr bullet at about 850 fps. The factory .45LC is loaded down, but it's about a 250 gr bullet at about the same velocity. While velocity is the more important component in calculating muzzle energy, in equal velocities, the heavier bullet will pack more power. The video showed a tremendous difference between the two in penetration.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:21 pm I watch this guy from time to time. He very nearly busts one of The Four Rules each time, but not quite.

He's not real familiar with single actions. A very fair comparison with store bought ammo.

CDFingers
Edwin is a knucklehead...he giggles even when he gets hit with a ricochet..the guy helping him is smarter/safer than he is.
'Science channel"...his dopiness pays him big $..via YT...
I wonder if he is a FFL, considering all the full auto crap he has..plus he's in CA...

FBI..Full Blooded Iranian...

https://www.marathi.tv/youtube-host/edwin-sarkissian/

The results were surprising considering the acp is copper plated and the long colt is just lead. One would think the copper plating is going to penetrate more.
sig230 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 am I gotta wonder why any civilian would even be asking about penetration through galvanized steel?
Car bodies?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

sig230 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 am I gotta wonder why any civilian would even be asking about penetration through galvanized steel?
They must have been sittin' around drinking beer when one asked, "What are we gonna do with all those strange shaped cutouts from that last fabrication job?"

CDFingers

tonguengroover wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:06 am The results were surprising considering the acp is copper plated and the long colt is just lead. One would think the copper plating is going to penetrate more.
Car bodies?
Exactly. As a civilian why would I ever be trying to penetrate a car body?
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:34 am
tonguengroover wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:06 am The results were surprising considering the acp is copper plated and the long colt is just lead. One would think the copper plating is going to penetrate more.
Car bodies?
Someone is shooting at you inside or on the other side of a car?

tonguengroover wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:23 am
Car bodies?
And again, I can't ever imagine a situation where even in that case I'd want to try shooting through steel.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:42 am
tonguengroover wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:23 am

Car bodies?
And again, I can't ever imagine a situation where even in that case I'd want to try shooting through steel.
Well this is one reason. Ask a Ukrainian. Hope than never comes to pass here but I've been buying up the .556 green tip for that very reason. The green tips are everywhere online and at my LGS's in 1K round boxes.

sig230 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:34 am Exactly. As a civilian why would I ever be trying to penetrate a car body?
Its important to know...Safety First!!

When doing a drive by shooting, if someone shoots back, its important to know if the bullet will penetrate the body and hit you. Gotta think about these things when you're a criminal.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Entertaining, but not a great test.

I have a .45 colt/.45 ACP convertible Ruger Blackhawk revolver that I could load with the exact same bullet weight,type & charge and I’m sure the results would be exactly the same. The .45 colt has less of a jump to the ogive and that’s about it - so theoretically, accuracy is better. I have yet to shoot .45 ACP out of it though.

In that Ruger - with the case room of the .45 colt and strength of the revolver, the .45 colt is way more versatile & can be safely loaded up to just shy of .454 casull levels - almost 500 fps more than the standard loading, (and that’s enough for me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:27 pm Entertaining, but not a great test.

I have a .45 colt/.45 ACP convertible Ruger Blackhawk revolver that I could load with the exact same bullet weight,type & charge and I’m sure the results would be exactly the same. The .45 colt has less of a jump to the ogive and that’s about it - so theoretically, accuracy is better. I have yet to shoot .45 ACP out of it though.

In that Ruger - with the case room of the .45 colt and strength of the revolver, the .45 colt is way more versatile & can be safely loaded up to just shy of .454 casull levels - almost 500 fps more than the standard loading, (and that’s enough for me.)

My Vaquero has both cylinders and I've shot 'em both, factory and reloads. Factory acp is snappier than factory LC. The plow handle grip is what is great about single actions. I've loaded LC up to 10 gr Unique under a 250 grainer. I still have some of those cannon rounds left. I could shoot them fine, but not often. You can't load acp hot or else you have to change your recoil spring. I could load acp hot for the Vaquero, but why bother? For me the LC is the most accurate round out of my Vaquero. My velocity with a 250gr RNFP @ 950 fps gives me the tightest groups. I have a Springfield 1911 also which is not picky with factory ammo. Thing's a tank. Collect 'em all, I say.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45561&hilit=Springer+1911

CDFingers

Now think of this...

The US Army was never happy with the penetration qualities of the .45 ACP. For civilian use the .45 ACP is just fine, but for military use they weren't really happy about its penetration of things like steel helmets. Just another of the many reasons they decided to make the M1 Carbine.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

INVICTVS138 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:47 pm
tonguengroover wrote:Well dang near any caliber will go through a car door or truck door these days.
Aren't Fords aluminum?
They sure are. My F-250 is almost entirely aluminum, with the exception of the the chassis.

Be fun to shoot some holes in it. Maybe the tailgate eh?