Hello from the Portland, OR burbs

Hello everyone,

A new member from Sherwood, OR here, happy to have found a less toxic environment to be a part of. I have had my concealed carry permit for close to 10years and have been shooting for longer than that but have felt "homeless" and put off by all of the right wing/GQP nonsense that is all too prevalent in the culture. So I have tried to distance myself as much as possible from those folks and unfortunately my range time and accuracy has taken a hit.

With the absolute tragedy happening in Ukraine right now I have decided that I cant allow those folks to run me off and prevent me from exercising my rights to protect my family and myself. Hoping to find some like minded folks from the area (seems like we've got a good showing from Portland) to learn from, practice with and otherwise build some community.

Thanks for being here LGC.

Re: Hello from the Portland, OR burbs

Crow wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:16 am Howdy from California. I did a spell in Southeast Portland back in the early 2000's... washed dishes at Dot's Cafe, if you know it.
Welcome to the LGC- we don't always agree on everything (just criticize the 1911 to see it firsthand) but it's a fun place to hang out.
Crow
oh yeah, I know it well! Not sure if you've been back anytime recently but man, I dont know if you'd recognize the place. I've been in OR since '96 I think(?) and a looot has changed.

Looks like we've also got quite a Corvallis crew as well!

getouttadodge wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:53 pm
Crow wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:16 am Howdy from California. I did a spell in Southeast Portland back in the early 2000's... washed dishes at Dot's Cafe, if you know it.
Welcome to the LGC- we don't always agree on everything (just criticize the 1911 to see it firsthand) but it's a fun place to hang out.
Crow
oh yeah, I know it well! Not sure if you've been back anytime recently but man, I dont know if you'd recognize the place. I've been in OR since '96 I think(?) and a looot has changed.

Looks like we've also got quite a Corvallis crew as well!
Corvallis is actually pretty quiet. I know there are others here besides me, but I don't know that they ever pipe up.

Most folks are in the PDX area, though we have members throughout the state, even east of the Cascades. :)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

getouttadodge wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:53 pm
Crow
Indeed it has! I get back to PDX to visit friends at least once a year if possible and always stop by Dot's for a beer. The Clinton street hood has changed a lot for sure, though the "timeless" decor of Dots stays more or less the same. My buddy set up shop across the street with La Moule.
The homeless population is really taking over everywhere, and it's sad to see the deep poverty, illness and drug abuse happening all over the city.
Crow
Minute Of Average

Hi, this is John,, new gun owner here in Portland. I'm trying to hook up with the local chapter but I don't do Facebook. Does anyone here know of any events or meetings I could attend? Also looking for a place outdoors, not an official gun range, where my buddy and I can do target practice. I've heard about a couple of them but they sound pretty sketchy, not really safe. Thanks.

getouttadodge wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:22 pm Hello everyone,
Thanks for being here LGC.
Welcome from eastern Clark County
Oregonbrother wrote: Hi, this is John,, new gun owner here in Portland. I'm trying to hook up with the local chapter but I don't do Facebook. Does anyone here know of any events or meetings I could attend? Also looking for a place outdoors, not an official gun range, where my buddy and I can do target practice. I've heard about a couple of them but they sound pretty sketchy, not really safe. Thanks.

Welcome, English Pit is a possibility, it works for me but I do keep a eye out for anything that looks unsafe. And there's Federal land, some of those areas draw some sketchy folks; being in a group would be preferable to my way of thinking. You can identify the nearby ones from the threads here https://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum ... -areas.32/
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"