Pulled the trigger … first NFA adventure.

Just pulled out he trigger on my first can - Rugged Obsidian 45. This will allow me to shoot several of my .45s. I’ve had ongoing issues with my neighbors IRT my shooting, but I’ve dialed it back a bit, talked to them about it, and all seems pretty copacetic for RN. Getting the can will help that along I think.

Luckily, we have a great shop locally - Aim Surplus and they walked me through the whole process. (In fact, I. SW Ohio we have a panacea of decent, LGS.) Processed my NFA tax stamp & trust on SilencerShop. Aim surplus had a console to input my finger prints. Supposedly with the new ATF e-form my suppressor should only be In jail for 90-120 days (we’ll see).

Next up is sending my 1911 to the local gunsmith for a re-barrel, fitting, and I’m still trying to find a new set of sights. I’m ordering a new bushing, barrel and link pin from midway.

I ordered a thread converter for my Henry x-model .45 colt.

Later on I will buy a 9mm piston and end cap as well as a new barrel for my M&P 2.0. that’s a drop in so - it should be easier.

Long term, I’ll send my hi-point carbine Into have the barrel threaded. And probably save up for a new 1911. And if all goes well with this one, I’ll get a dedicated 5.56 rated one. I’m not sure if I’m going to get out of the 9mm caliber, I only have 2 left after selling off a few during the pandemic. Probably keep one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Pulled the trigger … first NFA adventure.

Someday, if I ever have discretionary income, I might look into cans. My preference is for subsonic ammo even without one, simply because I value my what now? I couldn't hear you. .45 in the 800+ fps range is too loud for me without doubling up.

I was at a wedding last year up in Amish country. Someone was off shooting in the distance. These days I reckon I have some idea about relative noise vs. caliber, and this was probably a bolt-action .22LR. I never shoot that slowly, or so little. Local farmers shoot from time to time, but they're clearly not doing it the way I do.

Pulled the trigger … first NFA adventure.

tonguengroover wrote:Wish I had the resolution to get one. I can barely fill out a 4473 without cussing them feds out.
Don't want them scrutinizing my life.
I'll wait till they get legalized.
Signed. White person.
I work for the Air Force as a civilian a TS/SCI clearance - they know everything about me already.

Getting a suppressor is nothing compared to TS security clearance periodic re-investigation.

Posted this elsewhere but I had the LGS gunsmith install a threaded barrel on my SR 1911 Commander. The guy is a grumpy old curmudgeon, but he does good work inexpensively - and he usually will do it right there.

I just got my “Novak loMount cut” suppresser height night sights In the mail today, from midway. They weren’t cheap & were hard to find What I’ve saved In shopping around for gun deals I usually lose in modification of said guns….

I’ll try to install them myself. I’ve had mixed results doing that. I’m a bit nervous Because they are only a 0.10” higher than my existing ones … and there is no way to test them until my suppressor is out of jail.

Well, I continue to do further research and now I know I need to replace the spring around the Nielsen device (for pistols with a moving barrel) with a fixed barrel spacer to use it on A carbine with fixed barrel. Ordered that. Basically just a metal sleeve that replaces the spring.
(I did not pay this much by shopping around)

I also ordered a 1/2 - 28 TPI threaded piston, for 9mms & .22s I will continue to accumulate threaded replacement barrels. I could have just bought another thread adapter, but the piston was only $30 more so might as well.

Good thing, I did more research before I screwed the obsidian 45 on a fixed barrel and blew up the can.

So now I’m all set up for my

SR1911 CMD. New Novak sights & barrel.
Henry X model .45 colt
S&W M&P 45 2.0

With threading barrels, or replacement barrels:

Ruger 10/22 (replace barrel)
S&W M&P 9 2.0 (new sights and replace barrel)
High point 995 (thread barrel)
Hi-point 4595 (thread barrel)

I think I’m going to wait on the bottom 3 until I get it and put some rounds down range.

I can’t wait until it get here!

Got the notification from the ATF yesterday and picked it up today. Took about 7months. So, while it’s not “fast” it’s “faster” than the days of paper forms. The good news is I still have my old property for about 2 more weeks before the close, so I will actually get to test it out, outside of a range w/o ear pro. My brother just bought a large property In Northern MI so it will definitely get use there. The factory sights on the SR 1911 are the exact same radius as the suppressor so I can get a sight picture without installing the higher sights I bought.

My field combo for deer hunting this winter:
The Henry x model sights clear completely.

And of course the obligatory “supressor ready” M&P .45

A suppressor is most effective with subsonic ammo. It's pretty hard to make supersonic anything quiet, you'll always have the supersonic crack. That's why so many calibers are offered in super and sub (quiet) varieties. Usually subs are heavier.

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster