Re: 2022 Midterm Elections

“So it’s incumbent upon everybody to act in a way that’s becoming of the office they hold — and that’s not casting judgment on anything until you know all the facts.”
Yeah, a Republican politician actually said that. How can any Republican who is willing to look their own children in the eye honestly believe they are not burning democracy to the ground in the name of “winning” or simply because it is expedient to retain institutional racism and sexism.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Tomorrow is the Wyoming primary and it's not looking good for Liz Cheney. The last two polls have Trump's candidate Hageman far ahead of Cheney.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... html#polls

Cheney will land on her feet, her husband is a lawyer and Liz is a lawyer so they won't starve, whether or not she runs for the WH in 2024 is a different matter. If she runs in 2024, is she a spoiler like Ross Perot or Ralph Nader and pull votes from Trump or does she just energize Trump and his 2024 campaign?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

If she and turd run, Cheney will eat that slime bag in debates - she is fierce and determined the POS will never again set foot in oval office. More power to her. I hate her politics, but I abhor turd more.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:22 am If she and turd run, Cheney will eat that slime bag in debates - she is fierce and determined the POS will never again set foot in oval office. More power to her. I hate her politics, but I abhor turd more.
I too don't agree much with her politics, but she's done a good job on the Jan 6 committee as Vice Chair. Apparently she's always been seen as a carpetbagger in WY taking advantage of the Cheney name, she grew up in VA and went to college in CO and IL. Yes she'd overpower Trump in a debate, we'll have to see what she does after tomorrow.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Can't pray, but can hope Palin loses and Murkowski wins. Cheney I feel is a goner in her election, but expect her to be around to harass the orange asshole until the day he is buried face down in hell with a carrot in his anus, sans foliage !
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:01 pm Can't pray, but can hope Palin loses and Murkowski wins. Cheney I feel is a goner in her election, but expect her to be around to harass the orange asshole until the day he is buried face down in hell with a carrot in his anus, sans foliage !
Crossing my fingers on these as well. Sad to think that Wyoming is that much of a cesspool for the Orange Menace.

As predicted Liz Cheney lost her primary to Hageman the Trump candidate.
https://www.cnn.com/election/2022/resul ... /primaries
Businessman Nick Begich III, former Gov. Sarah Palin and tribal activist Mary Peltola will advance to the November general election for Alaska’s sole congressional district. The three candidates are also competing in a special election to fill the seat until the end of the term of the late Rep. Don Young, who died earlier this year. Results from that vote were not immediately available Tuesday.

Murkowski, Tshibaka both advance to Alaska general election Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, advanced to her home state’s general election Tuesday, making it through a new nonpartisan primary system that was expected to favor her. Murkowski’s challenger, Kelly Tshibaka, also advanced to November, where they both will be on a ranked-choice ballot in the fall. Murkowski's wide base of Republicans, Democrats and independents could help her hold onto the seat for a fourth term.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 317668002/

Sorry to see Liz Cheney lose and by such a large percentage. Unfortunately, as we see more of the Trumparyans win in the GOPathetic primaries it gives me chills as to what could happen come November.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:11 am Well I think Cheney's loss will make the odds better for a dem to get her seat.
There are Dems in Wyoming?! :o :shock:
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:14 am
tonguengroover wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:11 am Well I think Cheney's loss will make the odds better for a dem to get her seat.
Looking at the primary results, they look to be as rare as hen's teeth. Bet they all live in Laramie, home of the University of Wyoming.

TrueTexan wrote:
Not really. I saw on CBS News last night that 70+ % of voters are registered republicans. More than any other state. Kind of ironic considering how much of the Land is public-owned and managed by federal agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think we could start in eastern Oregon, and Washington state go across to the Dakotas border and give that area to Canada? Would solve some problems.

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:25 am Think we could start in eastern Oregon, and Washington state go across to the Dakotas border and give that area to Canada? Would solve some problems.
Not sure Canada would take it, they have Alberta and Saskatchewan in addition to many parts of BC and Manitoba that aren't aligned with the current government. Alberta is like Texas, it's their largest energy producing province and it's at odds with Ottawa and the Liberal Party government that is in power. Like the US, the political power in Canada is in the largest provinces and the major metropolitan areas and they aren't firearms friendly. Canada is to ban all handgun imports as decreed by the federal government in Ottawa.
https://archive.ph/J4VKz

whitestrobephoto wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 pm
Wino wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:01 pm Can't pray, but can hope Palin loses and Murkowski wins. Cheney I feel is a goner in her election, but expect her to be around to harass the orange asshole until the day he is buried face down in hell with a carrot in his anus, sans foliage !
Crossing my fingers on these as well. Sad to think that Wyoming is that much of a cesspool for the Orange Menace.
Sickeningly sad Cheney lost and the ignorant twit Palin is still in the running. Says a lot about the state of the states of Wyoming and Alaska.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:46 am
TrueTexan wrote:
Not really. I saw on CBS News last night that 70+ % of voters are registered republicans. More than any other state. Kind of ironic considering how much of the Land is public-owned and managed by federal agencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok well one can dream right.
Still odds are better than dems trying to unseat a strong incumbent.
I stand by my opinion
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Wino wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:13 pm
whitestrobephoto wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 pm
Sickeningly sad Cheney lost and the ignorant twit Palin is still in the running. Says a lot about the state of the states of Wyoming and Alaska.
Cheney lost, but there is speculation that she might run for the 2024 Republican nomination for president. And she might even go farther and launch an independent run in 2024, not sure if she'd bleed votes from Trump or from Biden if she ran.

Alaska uses "rank choice voting" so Murkowski could win and Palin could loose, we'll have to wait until November 8th.

8 Of The 10 Republicans Who Voted To Impeach Trump Won’t Be In Congress Next Year

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) lost her congressional primary on Tuesday, meaning that eight of the 10 House Republicans who backed Donald Trump’s second impeachment won’t be returning to Congress next year.

Their departures ― whether forced out by voters, or via retirement ― indicate that Trump’s hold over the Republican Party is as strong as ever, and perhaps even growing, as he weighs another presidential run in 2024.

Trump has made a litmus test out of his Big Lie that the 2020 election was compromised by fraud. Republicans who accept the lie can remain in Trump’s good graces. Cheney refused to go along with the lie, and actively worked against Trump’s efforts, serving on the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Full story here. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-li ... ea958bcb3f

The good news is the Reugs leaving aren't increasing the Repug numbers in the house.

Gotta say I like Ms. Cheney. She seems like a nice person vs other repugs. More than daddy thats for sure.
Kinda feel bad for her but at the same I enjoy seeing repugs eating their own as they dig deep into the armpit of stenchy trumpism which IMO will be their downfall.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:34 pm Gotta say I like Ms. Cheney. She seems like a nice person vs other repugs. More than daddy thats for sure.
Kinda feel bad for her but at the same I enjoy seeing repugs eating their own as they dig deep into the orange ass of stenchy trumpism which IMO will be their downfall.
FIFY

TrueTexan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:14 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:34 pm Gotta say I like Ms. Cheney. She seems like a nice person vs other repugs. More than daddy thats for sure.
Kinda feel bad for her but at the same I enjoy seeing repugs eating their own as they dig deep into the orange ass of stenchy trumpism which IMO will be their downfall.
FIFY
I see what you did there TT. LOL

I am still astounded by how many people (politicians and regular people) still are 100% behind the former president. What kind of strange hold does he have over them? I would have thought honorable, principled people like Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney would be in the majority instead of being ostracized by their own party.

I don't agree with most of their political views, but they fall under the category of "respected opposition" rather than insane autocrat worshippers. I can usually put myself in someone else's shoes enough to at least understand their point of view from their perspective, but I can't do that with staunch Trump supporters. It is like they are under the thrall of a charismatic cult leader.