Lipstick on a pig - Hi-point Carbine Thread.

First off - if you have Hi-point Carbines or experienced with this fine, made right here in Ohio Carbine post it here!

Im not here to argue a Hi-point carbine is as good as a a Ruger PCC or AR .45 Carbine. What it is is 1/2 the price of the next options ….

For some odd reason, I went down the 4595 Hi-point Carbine rabbit-hole in 2015; and followed up with a 995 in 2018. Since it’s half the price of a quality Ruger one, but by not buy 2 ?!? Remember: 2018 were the days of $6 boxes of 9mm… so it was a great way to shoot, and I shot a lot of 9mm In 2018, 2019. Probably at least 2-3k rounds each of those years. Cases of 9mm Les than $150! So much,that I hardly did any reloading those years.

I’ve loaded .45 ACP for a number of years, so I wanted a PCC to accompany this cartridge. I used to have a few more .45 ACPs as it was my standard “semi-auto” pistol caliber. The 4595 carbine - while an ugly creation of the 1994 “Crime bill” semi-auto magazine restrictions, is fun and accurate to shoot.

Both of mine have been reliable and fun. I do Shoot the .45 ACP one more often as inexpensive factory 9mm is rare these days.

I’m buying a few things to make my 4595 carbine more presentable. I found a cool site jsarmsco.comwith after market options and have an inexpensive barrel shroud on the way

… pics to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Lipstick on a pig - Hi-point Carbine Thread.

tonguengroover wrote:I'm interested.
Kind of like buying a Keltec Sub2K and needing to upgrade everything. hehehe
I have a friend who is in love with Hi-Point anything.
Is that barrel come threaded?
tonguengroover wrote:I'm interested.
Kind of like buying a Keltec Sub2K and needing to upgrade everything. hehehe
I have a friend who is in love with Hi-Point anything.
Is that barrel come threaded?
No sir - the front sight assembly and “flash suppressor are friction clamped on -lol.
This is what it looks like.

I've watched all the "torture tests" and those inexpensive Hi-Point pistol work, I've heard good things about the carbine. They aren't Berettas, SIGs, S&Ws or Rugers, but they work. For people who need protection and have limited income, they fill that niche market. They are sold in CA so they passed all of the state safety checks.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

FlyGuy wrote:I have held a few and found them respectable. Especially if you like the look and feel of Kel-tec's. My only complaint and what kept me from the purchase is the trigger. I never felt anything like it. No words, just BAD. However, the Beretta Cx4 Storm is no prize either and I own one.
Apparently there’s a trigger kit from the same place I’m getting my $27 shroud … I’m not sure that they are worth dumping a ton of money into. I agree the trigger is mush city. For anyone who could afford it - even a stock
AR trigger is night and day better.

I would be paranoid about that flash suppressor as well. I also worry about any thread protectors coming loose.

Just looked at prices on Sub2K 's - shocked I tell ya. I got my Gen 2 for $370 in August 2017, now running 500 to 800 bucks. And the Ruger carbine running the same.
So yeah, those are a deal.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Lipstick on a pig - Hi-point Carbine Thread.

tonguengroover wrote:I would be paranoid about that flash suppressor as well. I also worry about any thread protectors coming loose.

Just looked at prices on Sub2K 's - shocked I tell ya. I got my Gen 2 for $370 in August 2017, now running 500 to 800 bucks. And the Ruger carbine running the same.
So yeah, those are a deal.
Except the fit and finish and functionality on a Ruger PCC is worth the money. The hi-point has every single production corner cut you can imagine. The extractor is is basically two heavy duty pieces of wire welded together.

However, I still think they are reliable for the money. The manual of arms and magazine design is atrocious. The company has excellent customer service and I have had them send me out parts (I bought my 4595 with no front sight) at no charge.

Kel-tec to me closer to Ruger than Hi-point. But the difference is Kel-Tec continues to innovate and release new product innovations. Hi-point has basically made the same products since the 1990s. Save money by not having a design team.

Last edited by INVICTVS138 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonguengroover wrote:
Hasaf wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:32 am A picture of my High Point 9mm carbine.
I see you went with the Hi Tower kit. Looks awesome dude.
That really exceeds the intent of this thread!

I’ve looked at those kits in the past … but they are the same cost $$$ as the base carbine. I’m may just have to do it for some HALO style weaponry. So cool.

wings wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 pm I saw Vance had the .45 Hi-point in stock - in pink digital camo. :lol: Now that, that made the lipstick on a pig simile pop.

I hate to say it, but I think it's a distinct improvement and I actually kind of like it. Not enough to buy one, but I appreciate the attitude.
If you had to pull it out from under your trench coat it would shock any potential attacker so much it may give you a few second advantage.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote:
wings wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 pm I saw Vance had the .45 Hi-point in stock - in pink digital camo. :lol: Now that, that made the lipstick on a pig simile pop.

I hate to say it, but I think it's a distinct improvement and I actually kind of like it. Not enough to buy one, but I appreciate the attitude.
If you had to pull it out from under your trench coat it would shock any potential attacker so much it may give you a few second advantage.
I am relatively certain that it would not be legal to CCW this thing. But why would you? This was meant for open carry. :lol:
I wonder if that Hi Tower kit comes in this pattern?

tonguengroover wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:20 am From here - https://www.hightowerarmory.com/products
Thanks!

A pity only the 9 mm version comes in fun colors. Getting a Hi Point in .40 would give me a chance to use up all those bullets left over after I got out of 10 mm, but with better availability of once-fired brass. I like the Arctic Gray.

A 10 mm would really shine with that longer barrel. Must resist...must resist...

Edit: Oh, wait, there is a pulldown for various calibers. That's weird: They put the different calibers in black on their own pages, but not the colored ones?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

tonguengroover wrote:
DOES NOT WORK WITH HIGHTOWER BULLPUP.
Decisions decisions eh?
Yeah, it’s a tough call. The factory, Hi-point stock is clunky, heavy, and muzzle heavy. The molded rails are a bit oversized & junky compared to any other pic rails.

The ability to have magazine interchangeability with a sidearm I have is also quite appealing, but not that critical for most of my applications. I already have 3 of the hi-point proprietary mags. Having less types
Of ammo to haul on a range trip is the main simplification point for me.

If I can find a place to thread the muzzle, I’ll probably lean towards the bull-pup stock conversion to shorten the OAL, when I put my can on.