Hello from PDX!

An acquaintance of mine was killed by a cougar, and that motivated me to get a gun and learn how to use it, and also as a woman who likes to go out in The wee hours of the morning running alone or be out mountain biking alone- it just makes sense to me that I would want to be armed. I feel more women would do well to arm themselves, but I am sorry that gun ownership has become so political - It shouldn’t be a badge of masculinity or political party, but it is just one amazing tool for empowerment. I would love to
Find others to shoot or train with - I am fairly new at this but have taken a number of courses up through the Advanced pistol course with Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office. I’d like to take my training further, I am be interested in friendly competition, and I am intrigued by IDPA type matches… think it would be super fantastic to be around LBGT shooters as well. Thanks! All that said, My life doesn’t revolve around guns but I am hoping to meet others for information and camaraderie.

Re: Hello from PDX!

o/

I have very distinct memories of a late night hiking alone in the mountains in cougar country, with nothing more than a Maglite and a lockblade that was legal for airport security back in the day. Not something I care to repeat. Startling a black bear after a dozen miles hiking was my turning point.

We've got a good Oregon crew. A few shoot at Clackamas. Welcome aboard!

Welcome! from Kentucky!

One of my stepdaughters lives in Corvallis with her husband and son. My spouse has been out there a time or two, and wants me to go out there next time (I've been reluctant to get on an airplane the last couple years...). I hear it's gorgeous out that way!

And, folks who identify in the LGBTQ+ realms are friends, too. Some I know are quiet gun owners, and I assume there are others I know who are gun owners, but who are even quieter about it.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

SRaye wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:17 pm An acquaintance of mine was killed by a cougar, and that motivated me to get a gun and learn how to use it, and also as a woman who likes to go out in The wee hours of the morning running alone or be out mountain biking alone- it just makes sense to me that I would want to be armed. I feel more women would do well to arm themselves, but I am sorry that gun ownership has become so political - It shouldn’t be a badge of masculinity or political party, but it is just one amazing tool for empowerment. I would love to
Find others to shoot or train with - I am fairly new at this but have taken a number of courses up through the Advanced pistol course with Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office. I’d like to take my training further, I am be interested in friendly competition, and I am intrigued by IDPA type matches… think it would be super fantastic to be around LBGT shooters as well. Thanks! All that said, My life doesn’t revolve around guns but I am hoping to meet others for information and camaraderie.
Hello from the westside of the PDX area. There are a few pistol matches open at TCGC near Sherwood. You don't have to be a member to shoot matches. Club calendar is here: https://tcgc.org/calendar/

BSW

geno wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:29 pm We have one member who is a member at the Training center and has done instructor training.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=14835
I sent him message to let him know about your post.
Wait a second, that's me! :)

Anyhow, hello and welcome! Congratulations on completing PST 103. I know the PSTC staff are always in need of volunteer coaches to help out with classes (waived membership fees and free ammo). That said, I looked at the paperwork a year ago and hadn't touched it since. There's a practical pistol league at PSTC, but they always seem to be full up whenever I remember to ask, and I really should be making more of an effort to use the green deck for practice.

A number of LGC folks in the NW OR/SW WA area participate in training and range events organized by Arm Your Friends, and I recommend checking them out https://www.armyourfriends.com/training (their Discord server is quite lively and entertaining as well).