Re: Still Life with Rifle

Same rifle in both - my recently purchased Zastava ZPAP M70. The lower one was taken after I managed to twist on the cheese grater upper handguard. Still pondering if I want a folding stock of some variety yet. The photo has a Romanian 3 cell mag pouch as well.

The sword is my "Tang Dynasty Frontier Dao" from LK Chen Swords. Excellent blade, the Chinese precursor to what would eventually become the katana in Japan.

In the top one is my Canik CZ75 clone.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White

A modern take on the colonial minuteman's equipment at the ready.
Militiamen were required to be armed “as according to law.” This meant that they were to have “a well fixt Firelock Musket, of Musket (69-75 caliber) or Bastard Musket (50-60 caliber) Bore, the Barrel not less than Three Foot and a half long; or other good Fire Arms, to the Satisfaction of the commission officer of the company...” They were also expected to have twenty bullets fit to their gun, one pound of powder, twelve flints, and a cutting sword. Later, bayonets were required for at least half the men in each company. As with the training, fines were levied against those who failed to provide themselves with these arms.

Ammunition was often carried in a cartridge box, a leather bag fitted with a wooden block with holes drilled in to accept a paper cartridge, a sealed tube of paper containing a measured amount of powder (enough for one shot) and a lead ball. Militiamen and minute men also had knapsacks, blankets and wooden canteens.
https://www.nps.gov/mima/learn/historyc ... f-1775.htm
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yeah, the northerner's feared a standing army due to memories of the English Civil War/Wars of the Three Kingdoms. The New Model Army was their terror. Meanwhile in the south it was the terror of an armed slave revolt. Between them, they created the 2nd amendment and the Militia as organized but the Militia Acts of 1792.

The militia was, ultimately, the 2nd biggest failure of the founders (right after 3/5 of a person) and nearly cost the US it's freedom several times. The only successful use of the militia was against the Indians, especially in the farce called Black Hawk's War. In the modern world the only value of a militia is as the basis of an insurgency such as the training going on in Ukraine of civilians by the Territorial Defense Forces ( https://www.npr.org/2022/01/19/10737924 ... k-military ) preferably using a cell organization.
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
Alex White