.30 Super Carry

So, I learned about this from Tinker's blog - he hasn't been active here for a hot minute, but he's one of us. I had to check Federal's website to confirm that they really are advertising it. And a calendar, to make sure it wasn't April Fools. Apparently it's for real.
Last year I experimented with a straight-walled .30-caliber pistol cartridge that fit in between .32 ACP and .30 Luger called the 7.8 x 19mm. It started because I had a Helwan with a broken locking block that I’d converted to straight-blowback, some .30 Carbine brass and a distinct lack of adult supervision. You can read the start of that journey here. In the end I discovered I had basically duplicated 7.65 x 20mm Longue, an obsolete pre-WW2 French service cartridge.

In the end I got a new 9mm barrel with a good locking block and I side-lined the project, debating whether to line the new barrel and proceed with testing hotter 7.8x19mm loads through the locked-breech system. No Point now, because Federal Premium ammunition has done it for me.
This really does look for all the world like 7.65 x 20mm, though exact specs are not available at the time of this writing. Federal touts this as the first full-power cartridge designed for civilian self defense. OK, whatever. The idea is you can get more rounds on target faster. Power is comparable to 9 x 19mm, you get a couple more rounds in the magazine. What’s not to like? Yeah, let’s get back to that in a bit.

Expansion and penetration look good too. .30 SC comes in bullet weights ranging from 100-115gr, so it is heavy for caliber (for pistols at least) which gives it a high sectional density. This gives it good penetration even with expanding bullets. The fact that these bullets are lighter than many popular 9mm loads means less muzzle-flip.

Not Much Good Without Something to Shoot it Out of…
You’re in luck there; S&W is chambering the Shield EZ and Shield Plus for this cartridge, and if you really insist on spending ten times as much Nighthawk Custom is offering a gun as well. Seriously, almost ten times as much; the Nighthawk is a skosh over $4000, and you can order it now.
https://tinkertalksguns.com/2022/01/06/ ... cartridge/

Federal's HST load -
https://www.federalpremium.com/handgun/ ... HST1S.html

They're claiming 1250 fps for a 100 grain JHP from a 4" test barrel. Sounds loud to me.

Re: .30 Super Carry

Saw a snippet with the Federal guy at ShotShow..his main pitch was '2 more rounds can be carried' in some small, 9mm size handgun. Plus 'performance somewhere between .380 and 9mm'. Seems like quite a stretch..getting another new caliber, the $ involved, to have 2 more rounds when there are a TON of small 9mm HGs now with 10-12(+) round capacity. I really doubt this will cause a huge switch from 9mm to 30SC..just like it didn't happen with .57...

But Federal and S&W are great at creating demand.

So.... It seems like the 30SC is the semi-auto version of the 32 H&R magnum for revolvers. With the skinny-er round you can get one more round in the cylinder than with 38 special.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

The .32 H&R has ballistic performance on par with a standard pressure .38 Special; not bad. Unfortunately, the shooting public has been pretty tepid about .30 cal handgun cartridges for the past century. The .32-20 was a pretty big hit, but most of the .32's have been received luke warm at best.

Add to that, this is a colossally bad time to introduce new cartridge. We can't get our hands on existing cartridges, so what we really need is another round we can't buy.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

An 8X21 instead of a 9X19.
Most of the popular handgun cartridges today originated 100 to 150 years ago. Since then, there have been plenty of new calibers, most of them fairly recently. The 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, 40 S&W made it big. So, once every 30 years or so, a new handgun caliber catches on. Maybe Federal and S&W have a marketing plan.

Not likely a great time to launch a new, niche caliber. There are already enough niche calibers that are hard enough to get your hands on.

I just want a modern, .30 carbine, semi-auto handgun. That’s a .30 cal I could get behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cartridge has merit, I'm just dubious of relasing a .30 cal defensive cartridge during a time when factories can't supply ammo. Oh look, now I have another caliber I can't get. Timing just seems immensely poor. I hope they know something I don't.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

I agree with everyone that the timing is terrible and the justification seems silly. Invictvs, again - we're thinking along the same lines. Why invest in a novelty carry cartridge when .30 carbine is sitting right there? Like 5.7x28, it was developed as a carbine / PDW round but has been adopted into handguns. It's only 5mm longer than 5.7x28. Maybe too much for a doublestack? You'd get a much more formidable weapon and you're cracking the sound barrier anyway.

Of course, now I'm wondering if Ruger would bring back the .30 Carbine Blackhawk in a convertible form, with a .30SC cylinder option?

wings wrote:
Of course, now I'm wondering if Ruger would bring back the .30 Carbine Blackhawk in a convertible form, with a .30SC cylinder option?
I could have had one of the .30Blackhawks in 2015 for $400 but I passed because I didn’t want to reload another caliber then… and I was convinced at the time that a .357 mag did everything better..

Just saw my LGS has the S&W .30SC in stock now. But no ammo. Story of the pandemic, right there. Looks like it's a 10 round magazine. Hey, it's high capacity if you're in California?

I see that it's using the same .312 diameter bullet as .32 H&R and .327 Magnum. Might make this more fun for reloaders.

I think Hiker's hit the nail on the head, this is an auto-friendly H&R, while .327 is essentially .30 carbine for wheelguns. Other than that Blackhawk, obviously. If it does take off, it might be good news for the small-bore wheelgunners among us.

.30 Super Carry

F4FEver wrote:New Hickok45 YT video comparing 30SC to 9mm and .380..didn't watch it, will later..he's good but so damn wordy..wear ya out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83iOO2Z1_PQ

He basically concludes feels and acts like 9mm..but at $1.25(+) per round for 30SuperCarry, pretty easy choice for me. Don't see the point but like a guy said when I asked, "what's that for"...

"It's for selling".......
Can’t give him any more views since he had that POS Tucker on there. Good to see he still has some level honesty.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:20 am
F4FEver wrote:New Hickok45 YT video comparing 30SC to 9mm and .380..didn't watch it, will later..he's good but so damn wordy..wear ya out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83iOO2Z1_PQ

He basically concludes feels and acts like 9mm..but at $1.25(+) per round for 30SuperCarry, pretty easy choice for me. Don't see the point but like a guy said when I asked, "what's that for"...

"It's for selling".......
Can’t give him any more views since he had that POS Tucker on there. Good to see he still has some level honesty.

Tucker Carlson? That dick wad, waste of air, mindless money grubbing, hypocritical, trump ass kisser ? That one?

Looking at the M&P EZ in 30SC..'2 more rounds'...I'd say just get a Glock 43x and be done with it

But google-foo that shithead carlson and Hickok45 and found it..goodbye hickok..surprised he put up with this ass.

I watched the Paul Harrell video yesterday, and was about to post it here, until I saw that F4FEver beat me to it.

For the reasons I own firearms, I don't need to start with another caliber. The three I already have should be enough for now.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

F4FEver wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:38 am Tucker Carlson? That dick wad, waste of air, mindless money grubbing, hypocritical, trump ass kisser ? That one?

Looking at the M&P EZ in 30SC..'2 more rounds'...I'd say just get a Glock 43x and be done with it

But google-foo that shithead carlson and Hickok45 and found it..goodbye hickok..surprised he put up with this ass.
Don't candy coat it, tell us how you feel!! :)

Yeah, can't support Hickock anymore; after seeing that, I won't click on his videos. Fuck Tuck!!!

FrontSight wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:44 pm
F4FEver wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:38 am Tucker Carlson? That dick wad, waste of air, mindless money grubbing, hypocritical, trump ass kisser ? That one?

Don't candy coat it, tell us how you feel!! :)

Yeah, can't support Hickock anymore; after seeing that, I won't click on his videos. Fuck Tuck!!!
Another YouTube channel I have trouble supporting now is Warrior Poet, after he had Madison Cawthorn on talking about the cocaine-fueled party scene.

I have my doubts about most of the firearm-focused channels, but there are a few that seem to at least try to stay out of the political discussions.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Looks like Paul Harrell has confirmed all of our suspicions- for the vast majority of us: stick with 9mm in that type of semi-auto pistol. I agree with his reasons. Just look at how .40S&W has dropped off, in just the past decade. I’m glad I don’t own any of those anymore. I found it to be too snappy in a subcompact for a fast follow up, where a 9mm is better for me.

I do like the innovation though, and I do like odd ball calibers to some extent.