Howdy from Dallas area

Just joined because I’m needing to buy a gun for self defense and wanted to connect with like minded liberals. Anyone available to go to the range with me? I’ve shot guns in the past but it’s been a minute, so I’m also looking for a self defense shooting class. Currently own a shot gun but considering Glock. Also I’m new to discussion boards/forums so hopefully I’ve posted this in the right place. Thanks for any help and guidance!

Re: Howdy from Dallas area

BethJan1822 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:00 pm Just joined because I’m needing to buy a gun for self defense and wanted to connect with like minded liberals. Anyone available to go to the range with me? I’ve shot guns in the past but it’s been a minute, so I’m also looking for a self defense shooting class. Currently own a shot gun but considering Glock. Also I’m new to discussion boards/forums so hopefully I’ve posted this in the right place. Thanks for any help and guidance!
Howdy and welcome! We have at least one instructor in your area. Are you on our Facebook page? There should be contacts available for instruction even here. Contact an admin if nothing else.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I'm a bit far away to invite you to a range day (I'm in Kentucky), but :welcome: just the same!

It can be disconcerting to discover that one feels need to have a firearm for self-defense. It's good to have one and learn to use it well before such time as it's needed.

There are LOTS of Glock fans in the world. I'm not one of them (I tend toward CZ stuff, myself, but to each their own). My spouse really likes the SigSauer P365XL she carries. I like the gun, but it doesn't fit my hand (note my screen name) as well as my CZ P-07 or my P10C.

My point is that it's good to--if you can--try out a few formats and see what fits your hands and "natural aim" best.

Best of all possible outcomes!
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Welcome! I recently joined for similar reasons. I've got a shotgun (Mossberg 590S) and a couple of Glocks (G22 gen 3 and G19 gen 5).Here in LA there are several indoor ranges that rent guns. That's a great way to try before you buy. I'm guessing there are similar places in Dallas.

You should find lots of good, helpful info here and some knowledgeable folks.
music & wine

Howdy from Houston!
Depending on your felt need to own a defensive weapon, a Glock is a good choice. If you plan on carrying, the compact versions are better. However, the felt recoil is stronger. If you plan on keeping it "bedside", then you may want a full size or even a steal framed gun. I know there are a lot of choices out there, just make sure what ever you purchase feels right in your hand.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:47 am Howdy from Houston!
Depending on your felt need to own a defensive weapon, a Glock is a good choice. If you plan on carrying, the compact versions are better. However, the felt recoil is stronger. If you plan on keeping it "bedside", then you may want a full size or even a steal framed gun. I know there are a lot of choices out there, just make sure what ever you purchase feels right in your hand.
Agree with FlyGuy especially on the bold portion. Find a gun that fits you and your intended purpose.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

o/

For home defense, shotguns can probably fill any reasonable need. Except for the one where you retain any hearing after an incident.

Glocks have their fans and a variety of advantages - lots of people know them and how to train you on one, lots of aftermarket support for holsters and other accessories. They're reliable and accurate, from most accounts. There are some downsides, perceived or otherwise - the lack of a manual safety means you have to be careful to avoid "Glock leg", and they are more expensive than comparable offerings from other manufacturers. Also, a widely acknowledged lack of style and mediocre triggers.

Everyone has different preferences, so try to handle - or better yet, shoot - some handguns before you buy. Some gun ranges offer rentals. Anything in 9mm is going to be relatively cheap and easy to feed in the current supply chain crisis, have widespread support and work perfectly well in most defensive contexts. Some of us like smaller, some bigger. Some of us go completely crazy and prefer cowboy calibers in magazines that spin circles where they're supposed to oscillate down the X-axis.

If money is a consideration, there are a lot of cheaper options - and more expensive. Search any given make and model on the forum, you're likely to find some commentary - even if it's obsessive drooling. We'll be happy to enable you. Welcome aboard!

Thank you all! I found a range that had “private lessons “ and went yesterday and handled about 8 different handguns and shot 4 on the range. Ended up buying the Glock 17 gen 3. I definitely like the feel of the full size better. Next step is LTC class and lots of range time! I have to say it was a little strange to be able to walk in at 10 am and spend about 1.5 hours with instructor including range time and then walk out at 1:15 with a weapon. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy that in my circumstances it is possible, but damn! Texas!

Nicely done. One of the best things about trying out options is feeling more comfortable and confident in your decision once you buy. Course, we'll gladly encourage you to try a few more. :lol: I know Texas rules about LTC have changed of late, but it's good to get the certificate if travel out of state is in the cards. Have fun!

Yup, getting a license to carry in Texas is absolutely a joke process but does have a few worthy benefits since it is recognized in quite a few civilized states.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim