Saw some Remington UMC 38 Special

Dropped by the local Academy and saw they had some Remington UMC 38 Special 130gr in stock. I think it’s about $31 a box. I’ve never tried UMC for any of my calibers. Anyone care to tell me about the ammo and if it’s worth buying.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Saw some Remington UMC 38 Special

I've avoided it. For some reason I don't recall it was not a recommended ammo for my first 9mm handgun. I've had Federal and Winchester for domestic brands, I don't recall shooting Remington in pistol calibers. How is it compared to Federal? The Federal is cheaper when it's in stock.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Have a safe with many bulk (250 rds) boxes of 9 & 40 UMC. Have never had a problem with it nor with Winchester. Did have some problems sometime back with Hornady and Federal in a couple of pistols, but not enough to not buy again if price good.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Bacchus wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:40 pm I’ve used a bunch of the stuff in both semiauto (9mm, .45 acp, .380) and revolvers and it’s all been fine. I don’t recall any failures of any kind. Perfectly fine range ammo.
I’m just a bit shocked at the new range ammo prices! LoL. The shelves are slowly starting to get ammo.

I haven't seen UMC .38 Special in a long time. Back in the day, UMC .38 Special were military contract over-runs, so it was 130gr FMJ, and pretty darned decent ammo. Not sure if that's what they're still selling, but if it is, it's good stuff.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Bsmithwins wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:22 am UMC is fine for range ammo, I've shot probably thousands of rounds of it at this point.

After about the 4th bad experience Winchester is about the only US manufacturer that's on my no buy list.

BSW
What kind of bad experience?

sikacz wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:54 pm
Bsmithwins wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:22 am UMC is fine for range ammo, I've shot probably thousands of rounds of it at this point.

After about the 4th bad experience Winchester is about the only US manufacturer that's on my no buy list.

BSW
What kind of bad experience?
1) Silvertips that were loaded with power that made so much flash it blinded you in low light conditions.
2) Silvertip that was loaded backwards in the case.
3) Squib round. Bullet lodged far enough back that the next round wouldn't load.
4) JSPs that wouldn't run in a rifle that digested very other type of ammo that had been thrown at it.

BSW

The only ammo I've ever found that didnt' behave reliably was Remington .22LR Golden Bullet, but even that was only about 4-5 rounds out of the box of 525.

Every other factory ammo I've ever tried has always worked very well. That includes any variety of Winchester .38 Special, and since .38 Special is what we shoot most of, I've had the chance to try out several brands over the years.

So, sure, go ahead and buy that Remington UMC .38 Special. My experience has shown me that A.) it's good stuff, and B.) the brass is fine for reloading.

Our "social work" ammo right now is factory Remington .38 Special +P for the wife, and Remington .357 Magnum for me. Both are JHP's. Yes, we are quite literally trusting our lives to Remington ammo if we end up in a home invasion situation.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:16 pm The only ammo I've ever found that didnt' behave reliably was Remington .22LR Golden Bullet, but even that was only about 4-5 rounds out of the box of 525.

Every other factory ammo I've ever tried has always worked very well. That includes any variety of Winchester .38 Special, and since .38 Special is what we shoot most of, I've had the chance to try out several brands over the years.

So, sure, go ahead and buy that Remington UMC .38 Special. My experience has shown me that A.) it's good stuff, and B.) the brass is fine for reloading.

Our "social work" ammo right now is factory Remington .38 Special +P for the wife, and Remington .357 Magnum for me. Both are JHP's. Yes, we are quite literally trusting our lives to Remington ammo if we end up in a home invasion situation.
Don't have any problem with Remington green box ammo and I've carried it before. Sadly is seems like they discontinued my favorite 115gr +P JHP in 9mmP. My impression is that the UMC is Remingon's budget line.

JHPs for social work isn't a place where I care to try and save pennies is all.

BSW

I really hate the convention of using "social work" as a euphemism. The idea of shooting other human beings is fundamentally antisocial. Not to mention disrespectful of an entire profession dedicated to improving the lives of others.

If you mean defensive carry or use of force, say so. We have too many violence-addled men - and it's almost always men - running around shooting people because of their race, religion, politics, sex, orientation, or failure to comply with male hegemony and using the same damn turn of phrase to describe their homicidal urges. [/rant]

Back on topic, every complaint I've ever heard about Remington has been about Thunderbolt 22LR specifically. Their JHPs seem to perform well in gel. I've only ever had one problem with centerfire ammo. Winchester white box .45 ACP. Primer backed out, jammed up my Blackhawk right good. It wasn't too hard to fix - pulled out the cylinder, unload, check everything, put it back in and reload - but definitely disconcerting. Not something you want to have happen under pressure, but that's why cheap range ammo is for the range, and defensive ammo needs to be tested for reliability with the intended weapons.

wings wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:50 am I really hate the convention of using "social work" as a euphemism. The idea of shooting other human beings is fundamentally antisocial. Not to mention disrespectful of an entire profession dedicated to improving the lives of others.

If you mean defensive carry or use of force, say so. We have too many violence-addled men - and it's almost always men - running around shooting people because of their race, religion, politics, sex, orientation, or failure to comply with male hegemony and using the same damn turn of phrase to describe their homicidal urges
. [/rant]
Some snipped and glad somebody said it..

On the contrary, if an attacker thinks that people might be carrying (e. g. the state of Virginia, a "shall-issue" state), that attacker might decide to be a lot more social instead of violent.

Guy I know, a Latino firearms instructor in Virginia, also owns a home in Florida. He and his wife both have carry permits in both VA and FL. He and his wife go down there during the wintertime. One fine, sunny Florida day, they were at the gas station. Guy I know is pumping the gas with wife in the car. Miscreant approaches Guy I Know preparing for FSM-Knows-What. Goes like this.

Miscreant: Hey there, wanna talk with ya.
Guy I know: I'm busy, man.
Miscreant, still approaching: Hey, chill, I just wanna talk.
Guy I know: I don't wanna talk.
Miscreant: Hey, I'm just bein' friendly, man.
Guy I know: (starts looking at miscreant's chest and starts smiling)
Miscreant: (looks down at his chest and sees a bright red dot)
Miscreant: Hey, have a nice day, man! (starts to leave immediately)
Guy I know: (walks back to car) Thanks, dear. (smooch)

Turns out wifey had trained her .38 Special snubnose, with laser, on the miscreant. :-) And everything *stayed* a lot more social than it otherwise might have.

BTW, they also use quality factory hollow-points for such social work. :-)

Bsmithwins wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:13 am
CowboyT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:16 pm The only ammo I've ever found that didnt' behave reliably was Remington .22LR Golden Bullet, but even that was only about 4-5 rounds out of the box of 525.

Don't have any problem with Remington green box ammo and I've carried it before. Sadly is seems like they discontinued my favorite 115gr +P JHP in 9mmP. My impression is that the UMC is Remingon's budget line.

JHPs for social work isn't a place where I care to try and save pennies is all.

BSW
Agreed, get some good stuff. My Dad preferred CCI Blazer hollow points in .357 Magnum and Doubletap hollow points in .38 Special.

BTW, there's nothing at all wrong with Remington-UMC hollow points. Just make sure you get the hollow points for SD ammo and leave the FMJ to range practice.