Re: Had a revolver day with 2 sons

I seem to have developed an itch to buy another snubnose! In addition to my three S&W revolvers I have an old Soviet one, a Nagant M1895 1926 vintage if I remember correctly.
BDC72438-5E24-4DD8-B252-2424869589A5.jpeg
Just to indicate my oddness, I think the Nagant is beautiful. It says revolver to me. (Probably one of the first revolvers I saw as a kid.)

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:51 am I seem to have developed an itch to buy another snubnose! In addition to my three S&W revolvers I have an old Soviet one, a Nagant M1895 1926 vintage if I remember correctly.BDC72438-5E24-4DD8-B252-2424869589A5.jpeg
Just to indicate my oddness, I think the Nagant is beautiful. It says revolver to me. (Probably one of the first revolvers I saw as a kid.)
The Nagant revolver is a clever design. Utterly reliable, super easy to maintain and or fix. Yours is in fantastic shape.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:00 pm
sikacz wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:51 am I seem to have developed an itch to buy another snubnose! In addition to my three S&W revolvers I have an old Soviet one, a Nagant M1895 1926 vintage if I remember correctly.BDC72438-5E24-4DD8-B252-2424869589A5.jpeg
The Nagant revolver is a clever design. Utterly reliable, super easy to maintain and or fix. Yours is in fantastic shape.
I suspect it sat in an arsenal after WW2 after a refurbishment. It has a couple of age spots or war wounds. Hard to say which.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Had a revolver day with 2 sons

FrontSight wrote:
I really wished I would have picked one of those up about 10 years ago when they were flooding the market & were $129. I’d get .32 long dies and go that route, as the nagant ammo is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:26 pm
FrontSight wrote:
I really wished I would have picked one of those up about 10 years ago when they were flooding the market & were $129. I’d get .32 long dies and go that route, as the nagant ammo is expensive.

I have a die set made for the Nagant. Have not used it yet, but will one day. I’m going to try to replicate the military round which is stouter than the plinking ammo sold by PPU and others.

sikacz wrote:
FrontSight wrote:

I have a die set made for the Nagant. Have not used it yet, but will one day. I’m going to try to replicate the military round which is stouter than the plinking ammo sold by PPU and others.
I’ve got to imagine it’s tricky to load that caliber.

The internet tells me you can shoot .32 H&R mag in a nagant - but I’d rather not. Maybe use the longest case that will chamber but work up a load slow. I’m not a fan of “hot rodding” a 19th century designed pistol.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:55 pm
sikacz wrote:
FrontSight wrote:The Nagant revolver is a clever design. Utterly reliable, super easy to maintain and or fix. Yours is in fantastic shape.

I’ve got to imagine it’s tricky to load that caliber.

The internet tells me you can shoot .32 H&R mag in a nagant - but I’d rather not. Maybe use the longest case that will chamber but work up a load slow. I’m not a fan of “hot rodding” a 19th century designed pistol.

Doesn’t seem any more difficult than a wadcutter. That is essentially what the gas seal cartridge is.

Nagant revolvers have trigger pulls longer than a politician's speech, and heavier than a campaign warchest...but yeah, they are fun. :-)

I ended up with a spare set of Nagant reloading dies a few years ago (Lee Precision). I don't need them, as I don't have a Nagant revolver. If interested, PM me.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:05 pm Nagant revolvers have trigger pulls longer than a politician's speech, and heavier than a campaign warchest...but yeah, they are fun. :-)

I ended up with a spare set of Nagant reloading dies a few years ago (Lee Precision). I don't need them, as I don't have a Nagant revolver. If interested, PM me.
Lee is the one I have. LoL.

And since we're talkin' revolvers, here's my favourite practice smokewagon...precisely because of the relatively long trigger pull.
Nightstand duty ammo
Nightstand duty ammo
Ruger Super Redhawk 454
Ruger Super Redhawk 454

That first pic is the "self-defense ammo" in .45 Colt, should it ever be needed. We generally use factory ammo for home defense duty, and our handloads for range practice.

This is the revolver that I generally practice dry-firing with. The trigger pull being somewhat weighty and long, it's great for keeping the trigger fingers strong. Do 100 dry-fires with this thing each night, each hand, slowly and focusing on technique, and you will get in proper condition.

Wheelguns were cool, are cool, and probably will always *be* cool.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/