Shot at a Canada Goose from a Kayak - that was a Marginal Experience. (UPDATED 2022 - TLDR - still no Geese)

Despite the rain and general nastiness, I went out yesterday morning to the local state wildlife area to continue my pursuits of ducks. It is likely still too warm, for them to migrate down here to SW Ohio. I returned from a long overdue funeral in upstate New York and was looking to recharge in the home woods a bit.

The lake had dropped about 5 inches since early October (early season) and it was a very hard leg sucking, mud traverse to my blind area. I was surprised about the water level as it has been raining - but this is a man- made reservoir, so who knows? I put my decoys out from my kayak this time, and I immediately noticed after my mud slog, that one was drifting away. I decided to get the errant decoy later from my kayak. I saw cormorants, herons, and thankfully no other humans. A group of gees flew very high over me but behind over the thick marshy woods so there was no way to recover a shot goose. It slowly stopped raining and warmed up a bit.
View from my makeshift blind - great concealment but no birds. Mud is very difficult to traverse.

After about an 1:30 in my makeshift blind, and nothing I decided to scout other areas of the lake. While trying to get my kayak in area deep enough to launch I became very stuck and my shotgun fell over board as I stabilized my self with the kayak. I clip a safety strap I made on my shotgun every time I stow it, so it was dragging along in about six inches of water but completely covered in mud. I always remove the round from the chamber before stowing and ensure the safety is on. I didn’t really know what to do, but to unload it and wash it off in the water, and scrap it out with leaves. Once it cycled again (but sounding really gritty) I loaded and shoved off.

I traversed an large open area with tons of birds - but mostly seagulls, kingfishers and cormorants. This area was very shallow and I was barely able to traverse it, with my very overloaded Kayak. I noticed 2 skeins of Canada geese flying very high in formation. Goose season generally runs concurrent with duck seasons in Ohio, depending on the region. I had only brought 2-2/3 steel shot #2 shells. I don’t have a goose call, but I will be getting one. The geese were flying around in formation and sure enough the began to fly over where I was. I had a hard time managing keeping the kayak from spinning, aiming and firing the shotgun at the lead goose. When the gun discharged I knew I had misjudged the lead - having never shot at a goose before. I did not feel secure enough in my rapidly spinning & rocking vessel for a rapid follow-up shot. I can see why folks much prefer a Jon boat, or very stable, fishing kayak. I need to figure it out or do a little practice firing in the kayak. I had a hard time managing my paddle & the gun. In any event, My gun had a hard time cycling due to the mud. After I fired, the 2 skeins of geese departed the area.

I continued to slog through the area to get to slightly deeper part of the lake where I could actually paddle with out dragging the keel across the mud … and then scouted a few areas that I can get to from a different boat launch (however a much further kayak in the morning.).
Hard to tell but the shotgun is caked in mud. I took this photo of this less muddy area (but less available concealment) I will try to hunt next time.

I went home, and my 3 year old watched me disassemble and clean out my shotgun. He’s pretty interested In my duck decoys - wants one for Christmas, lol. All in all, some lessons learned, and I always value my time outdoors.
Last edited by INVICTVS138 on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shot at a Canada Goose from a Kayak - that was a Marginal Experience.

FrontSight wrote:How fun, wish I was out hunting. I'm not a waterfowl guy, but I'll bet you're still having much more fun than I am here at work.
I’m not either. This year I decided to stop waiting around for someone to teach me; and teach myself. I’ve wanted to Duck hunt ever since I saw them Duck hunting in Northern MI, as a kid. It’s an adventure, Because I don’t know what I’m doing. I figure a first season of struggle and I’ll be in better shape next year.

[mention]highdesert [/mention] Yeah, a dog would have been a liability in that mud (even if I had room for him in a larger, more stable kayak). Both of my dogs are gun-shy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Shot at a Canada Goose from a Kayak - that was a Marginal Experience.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:34 pm
FrontSight wrote:How fun, wish I was out hunting. I'm not a waterfowl guy, but I'll bet you're still having much more fun than I am here at work.
I’m not either. This year I decided to stop waiting around for someone to teach me; and teach myself. I’ve wanted to Duck hunt ever since I saw them Duck hunting in Northern MI, as a kid. It’s an adventure, Because I don’t know what I’m doing. I figure a first season of struggle and I’ll be in better shape next year.

[mention]highdesert [/mention] Yeah, a dog would have been a liability in that mud (even if I had room for him in a larger, more stable kayak). Both of my dogs are gun-shy.

You're awesome!!!
I never complain if I come home empty handed...I was out hunting, and that's a pretty good day.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

INVICTVS138 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:36 pm
tonguengroover wrote:Like your story's. You could write for a hunting magazine.
Maybe if they need a niche writer where the guy is rarely successful at hunting… haha.

I've seen a few stories on The Outdoor Channel where people didn't get any game. Last most recent was a guy hunting Elk in Northern AZ, wore him out chasing elk around. Still interesting.

There used to be a great hunting show on TV when I was younger. Forgot what the name was.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

FlyGuy wrote:Great write up.
I am just imagining shooting sideways and flipping the whole boat over and ending up with my body on the wrong side of the water.
I have never been good on a Kayak, I don't bend that way.
Thanks!

I 100% was not going to do that. I lined up a the kayak fore & aft with my shot and that was unstable enough (at least it felt that way). I’ve been around boats and ships my whole life (as well as being a competitive triathlete & open water swimmer in the past) so I’m pretty confident on the open water.

It was hard to keep the kayak lined up fore - aft., and take time to shoot accurately. Because of the way you sit in the kayak; you really only have about 45 degrees off each side of the bow to shoot (and a little more on your weak side)

The problem was not even ending up in the water , as it’s not that cold yet … which was about 1ft deep there …. It’s the sucking mud at the bottom. It would actually be better if it was deeper.

INVICTVS138 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:08 am
I am just imagining shooting sideways and flipping the whole boat over and ending up with my body on the wrong side of the water.
Thanks!

I 100% was not going to do that. I lined up a the kayak fore & aft with my shot and that was unstable enough (at least it felt that way). I’ve been around boats and ships my whole life (as well as being a competitive triathlete & open water swimmer in the past) so I’m pretty confident on the open water.

It was hard to keep the kayak lined up fore - aft., and take time to shoot accurately. Because of the way you sit in the kayak; you really only have about 45 degrees off each side of the bow to shoot (and a little more on your weak side)

The problem was not even ending up in the water , as it’s not that cold yet … which was about 1ft deep there …. It’s the sucking mud at the bottom. It would actually be better if it was deeper.

So if you shoot port or starboard do you get pushed sideways like a battleship ?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:08 am
Thanks!

So if you shoot port or starboard do you get pushed sideways like a battleship ?
Battleships were designed to have their righting arm force be far more than the force of full broadside. I have no clue what the righting arm of a kayak with a guy firing a 12 ga is … and I’m pretty sure the designers didn’t take it into account. Is would be pretty hard to shoot exactly 90 degrees Becuase of the built in seat and limit of my torso. I’m already at the limit of this second hand kayak … my paddle cost more!

Out goose hunting for 2022 season.

I was better prepared having modified my inexpensive red kayak not made-up with a new camo paint job and inexpensive kayak blind material. (Made from excess fencing material, blind burlap, grass from my mailbox & zip ties.) The upgrade cost about $30 total. I also bought a “jet sled” to tow the larger goose decoys & a more comfortable camp chair. Really cold (21F) & choppy on the lake. It was so choppy and rough, my goose decoys could not be deployed. (Had to go rescue them.) I deployed them on the beach and set up a make shift blind.

However, I had a hodgepodge of gear that kept me pretty comfortable. Thermals, wool socks, insulated waders, Neoprene gauntlets and a waders specific hunting jacket. Last minute trip to Walmart for the trapper hat that was surprisingly warm and protected me quite well from the wind. I had also grabbed some hand warmers, but ended up using them in my seat area which was the only part that got cold. The water in my kayak, shotgun, sled etc was freezing after only a few minutes due to the wind. Too windy for any birds to be moving… unfortunately. Geese where everywhere about 2 weeks ago but I think the cold weather moved them Along south finally. The ODNR never seems to get the seasons timed right for SW Ohio at least… but I’m sure it more challenging with all the climate change unpredictably.

I had to haul hard paddling against the seas to get back from my blind area. The “jet sled” while extremely seaworthy, was a definite drag slowing me down.

I thought it would take me a few seasons to become a waterfowler being completely “self taught” and it sure has. No birds, but I always treasure the rare moments getting out in the field (& lake.)

Shot at a Canada Goose from a Kayak - that was a Marginal Experience. (UPDATED 2022 - TLDR - still no Geese)

tonguengroover wrote:Me thinks you need my Marlin 55 12 Ga Goose gun with its 36" barrel to reach out and touch them geese! I'll lend it to ya cus we got no geese here in the desert that I've seen. I believe it's full choke too.
Trade for the livers.
I’d buy it off you, but it wouldn’t fit in my kayak. My 26” shotgun can barely fit in there. Plus, I’m a lousy shot when bird hunting and it usually takes me a few quick follow ups to get a hit. Semi-autos for me!