More WW1 history - Brit Colt New Service

Hey all,

Found this at a gun show and it was missing the grips. Picked up some reproduction grips (which were nicer than I thought they'd be), a lanyard and canvas holster (yeah I know, canvas is WW2, but I think canvas holsters are cool). This one has seen some service, but she's still mechanically sound. Very little end shake to the cylinder, and timing is just fine. This was parkerized at some point, probably in the 1920's, following WW1, or it could have been early 1940's just as WW2 was kicking off. Anyhow, the bore is nearly mint condition so I expect she will shoot well.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: More WW1 history - Brit Colt New Service

highdesert wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:58 pm Nice find FS, happy shooting. IIRC 455 was the standard ammo for the British Army which issued Webley top break pistols. In WWII the S&W Victory Model was shipped to the British Isles in 38/200.
By WWII the Brits had officially adopted the 38/200 as their official revolver cartridge and they intended to phase out the .455's. But due to the war, they needed everything they could get their hands on, so the .455's were pressed into service.

Calls went out to civilians to turn in any revolvers left over from previous wars. Then the Brits called up Colt and had them send whatever they had on hand. Official police, Police Positives, New Services, and even SAA's were sent and caliber didn't seem to matter. There were pilots in the Battle of Britain who carried .357 magnum SAA's. How would you like to be behind enemy lines in WW2 armed with a 5 shot, very slow to load single action army while the enemy has long guns, SMG's and MG's?

By 1940 they saw they needed a LOT of SMG's, and those would be 9mm. So they decided then that future pistols would be in 9mm, and started buying Hi Powers from Inglis. But since Inglis couldn't produce enough, they kept making the Enfield & Webley revolvers, and ordered S&W M&P's from the US; all new revolvers were in 38/200. I don't think they bought anymore .455's, but .455's were used even after WWII.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: More WW1 history - Brit Colt New Service

highdesert wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:19 am Britain still had their empire after WWII and colonial police officers (inspector and up) would have carried Webley 455 revolvers issued pre-war. Some of those officers were former military officers who probably brought their revolvers with them.
Yeah, the Webley Mk VI saw service into the early '60's in some remote locations. Up until WW2 officers had to provide their own handgun (not a great idea), so that's why you see so many different revolvers; but at least they were all in the proper cartridges.
Colts became popular with the Brits around 1910 when it started setting a lot of bullseye records. Of all the DA big bore revolvers available at that time, the Colt is my least favorite. They're huge, the grip isn't so great, the sights are really hard to see, and the DA from the factory is smooth but OMG STIFF!

However, the Colts were just wicked accurate, and they built a strong reputation off of that. They were also brute strong, and very reliable. At the target range, shooting bullseye; the Colt would be my choice. In a war though, it would be the last large frame revolver I would choose.

My first choice would be the Webley Mk VI. Much better grip, reasonably accurate, much easier to service in teh field, very reliable, and WAY better sights. Just a much better revolver if you find yourself in a fight.