Shield Mini-Sight query

My wife and I were at the range for a while yesterday, and a couple things came to the fore.

She's better at aiming her gun than I am at aiming mine.

Then we traded guns--I got to shoot her Sig P365XL with the Romeo Zero red dot sight, and my group size immediately got smaller. She used my CZ P10S, and her group went wide.

So, it seems that a lot of the difference comes to two things--three, actually.
  • Her eyesight is better than mine (she has had lens replacement surgery, and I have age-related presbyopia)
    The red dot sight makes aiming easier
    I'm in a bigger hurry to put rounds down range rather than be focuses (pun intended) on tiny shot groups
So, now I'm thinking about a red dot sight for my P10S. I thought about getting a slide that is machined to accept a red dot sight--I have seen such for the P10F, which I also have, but don't really think of as an EDC, certainly not for CCW.

And what should appear in my first web search, but this:
CZ P-10 MOUNT FOR SHIELD RED DOT SIGHTS SMS, RMS(c).jpg
It mounts in replacement of the existing rear sight, without machining the slide, which has some appeal. It's made to accept the Shield Mini-Sight (SMS or RMS(c)).

So how are those sights? Is one better for those of us with well-used eyes than the other (prior to dealing with the age-related presbyopia, I didn't need corrective lenses)? Is there a better alternative?

I see also that CZ Customs offers a plate that mounts into the dovetail but accepts a variety of red dot sights. It's a little bit cheaper (by $10), too. It accepts the Holosun HS507C and the Trijicon RMR, among others.
CZ RDS mount.jpg
Any red flags to consider?
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: Shield Mini-Sight query

A dovetail mount is a cheap(er) way to see if you like a red dot. Milling the slide is a much better long term option as the dot is lower and more secure.

I've found a red dot helps with presbyopia a lot. I just can't see the space between the front and rear sights without glasses and then my head is at some weird ass angle and I can't see the target very well. It is more likely than not that if I ever have to use a handgun defensively, it will be in the dark without my glasses. A red dot solves for both of these. I'm a believer.

The shield is a good sight, I have one on a Glock 40 target gun. I am not sure I would trust it to take a beating in a combat environment like the RMR, but for normal protection It is a good choice.

Remember that unless you can co-wittness the RDS (Red Dot Sight) with normal sights, you have no sight if the battery dies or it breaks. A 5-8 MOA dot size is about perfect for action shooting, do not go smaller unless you want to use it for tiny target slow fire shooting.

Both the Shield and the Holosun 407k/507k have a "rear sight" notch that works well enough with the front sight, so you don't need taller sights like you would with an RMR. I prefer that to taller sights. In fact, I milled out the rear sights on my PCR. Will likely do the same with my M&P Shield at some point.

featureless wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:45 pm Both the Shield and the Holosun 407k/507k have a "rear sight" notch that works well enough with the front sight, so you don't need taller sights like you would with an RMR. I prefer that to taller sights. In fact, I milled out the rear sights on my PCR. Will likely do the same with my M&P Shield at some point.
That rear notch ends up rather high when the RDS is mounted in a rear dovetail adapter. The notch may be OK if the RDS is low enough, but I doubt it in this case.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

Oldschool wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:13 am
featureless wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:45 pm Both the Shield and the Holosun 407k/507k have a "rear sight" notch that works well enough with the front sight, so you don't need taller sights like you would with an RMR. I prefer that to taller sights. In fact, I milled out the rear sights on my PCR. Will likely do the same with my M&P Shield at some point.
That rear notch ends up rather high when the RDS is mounted in a rear dovetail adapter. The notch may be OK if the RDS is low enough, but I doubt it in this case.
Agreed. Dovetail mounting should be a temporary solution for a defensive gun. When milled, it's nice and low.
20210225_181732_copy_2268x1701.jpg