Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

3
The owner should be charged with attempted involuntary manslaughter.
While the vast majority of pit bulls are normal dogs, some people get them for the macho factor. Bred irresponsibly, with bad or non-existent training, they can be stubborn and persistent. Both dogs need to be destroyed.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

4
featureless wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:18 pm Oof.

Always have at least a folder on me. Always.

I probably shouldn't wear flip flops as often as I do.
And an easy-opening one, like a Spyderco.
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

6
Soooo...
This may sound weird, but I actually took a class that covered dealing with attack dogs. It was an escape & evasion course that was made available through the State Dept back in the '90's. And I learned if a dog is attacking with real killing intent, you have to strangle it. Which means, it will latch on to your arm, you then use that arm to pin the dog to the ground, and then choke with the other hand. This also prevents the dog from doing the shake that will break your forearm. You have to clench down as hard as you can on the airway, and hopefully you have a hand full of carotid artery at the same time. Takes nearly one full minute to choke a dog unconscious, and in such scenario's they often don't regain consciousness.
In the class we dressed up in the big mummy suit, and I'm here to tell you I about fudged my Huggies when the Doberman came at me.

That's for medium to large dogs. For small dogs, use the old fashion treatment... PUNT!!
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

7
featureless wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:18 pm Oof.

Always have at least a folder on me. Always.

I probably shouldn't wear flip flops as often as I do.
Ha! I thought you meant a manila folder.
FrontSight wrote: Soooo...
This may sound weird, but I actually took a class that covered dealing with attack dogs. It was an escape & evasion course that was made available through the State Dept back in the '90's. And I learned if a dog is attacking with real killing intent, you have to strangle it. Which means, it will latch on to your arm, you then use that arm to pin the dog to the ground, and then choke with the other hand. This also prevents the dog from doing the shake that will break your forearm. You have to clench down as hard as you can on the airway, and hopefully you have a hand full of carotid artery at the same time. Takes nearly one full minute to choke a dog unconscious, and in such scenario's they often don't regain consciousness.
In the class we dressed up in the big mummy suit, and I'm here to tell you I about fudged my Huggies when the Doberman came at me.

That's for medium to large dogs. For small dogs, use the old fashion treatment... PUNT!!

Hee hee
Tough one getting tag teamed like that guy did. Did they teach you how to deal with two dobies? He prolly shoulda jumped up on the car.
However, as possibly as it may be being attacked by wandering dogs I worry more about the dang Javelina's out here. When outside the casa I'm always with the Mastador who at 125lbs can handle himeslef pretty good but those pigs have razor sharp teeth and will rip a dog apart, not a good match. And they have a lower center of gravity.
Also accidently stumbling onto a baby javelina is like doing the same with a bear cub. Get the F' out of there asap as moms right around the corner. Had a friend tree'd by javelina for several hours.
Redneck Liberal This Is The Way

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

8
I work with a guy who used to be a patrol cop in a really rough mining town after he retired as an AIR Force K-9 cop. He got savaged by a pit bull on the calf and emptied a whole 1911 .45 ACP magazine into it being extra careful not to hit his own leg. He figured he missed and reloaded and did a contact shot on the vital area. They did an autopsy on the dog and every single one of the rounds hit the dog.

This was before OC spray was routinely carried by LEOs & it is much more effective on dogs. I was routinely chased and snapped at by dogs In many encounters over Many long miles of being an endurance triathlete. I got “Halt!” OC Spray and carried it on training runs & rides. You may hesitate to use a gun on a dog but you won’t with OC spray. I got chased by a big mastiff outside of Tullahoma TN, and I gave him a shot right In The muzzle —- worked like a charm … & no angry rednecks coming after me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

9
featureless wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:51 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:20 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:18 pm Oof.

Always have at least a folder on me. Always.

I probably shouldn't wear flip flops as often as I do.
And an easy-opening one, like a Spyderco.
How did you know? :lol:

I'd carry a little fixed blade but those go from totally legal to a felony in CA if you're shirt falls over and conceals it.
I don't "get" California, Land of Fruit and Nuts". I expect an apple pie concealed under your coat might be considered a weapon of mass calories!
"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes. The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."--George Carlin

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

11
You can't accidentally conceal an Arisaka, featureless. :)

Ohio used to just as bad as California. Carry laws were obscenely vague. Fortunately pressure built up from contractors getting into trouble for pocketing cutters that the legislature went the other direction. Now you can conceal any blade or edged implement - it's only a weapon under state law if you use it as one. Like a hammer, screwdriver, rock, or other potentially lethal implement. It was one of the reasons I got the CHL - handguns were privileged under state law when it came to self defense.

There was a case a few years ago where a young woman hiking alone was killed by coyotes up in Nova Scotia. Taylor Mitchell. She had an album. Spray is good policy. It also allows you to better gauge the need for deadly force.

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

12
wings wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:58 am You can't accidentally conceal an Arisaka, featureless. :)

:roflmao:

I was actually referring to fixed blades on belts, not rifles, but your point stands. California allows open carry of fixed blade knives (swords, even). But if your tee-shirt falls over the handle, you can be nailed for concealed carry of a "dirk or dagger" which is illegal. I do hope that at some time, progress made on concealed carry of handguns lends itself to knives. They are, after all, bearable arms, even it usually just used as tools.

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

13
tonguengroover wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:56 pm Hee hee
Tough one getting tag teamed like that guy did. Did they teach you how to deal with two dobies? He prolly shoulda jumped up on the car.
However, as possibly as it may be being attacked by wandering dogs I worry more about the dang Javelina's out here. When outside the casa I'm always with the Mastador who at 125lbs can handle himeslef pretty good but those pigs have razor sharp teeth and will rip a dog apart, not a good match. And they have a lower center of gravity.
Also accidently stumbling onto a baby javelina is like doing the same with a bear cub. Get the F' out of there asap as moms right around the corner. Had a friend tree'd by javelina for several hours.
Of course we talked in great detail about getting away from, but I don't recall us really addressing multiple dogs unarmed...but it was a little over 20 years ago, and I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.

The class was for young people of service age and build, so we're talking people who are physically fit. There's a quick move you have to do once the dog latches on that prevents you from getting your arm broken (in theory), and puts the dog squarely under you...I'm not sure if I could do that these days, but when your life depends on it, you can surprise yourself. I always thought it was a rather extreme thing to try.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

15
FrontSight wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:00 pm A fixed blade knife would straight ruin a pit bull's day. Good points on the OC spray, a dog's highly refined sense of smell REALLY gets overwhelmed.
I bought some Bear spray at Costco couple months ago. I hope that works as well as OC spray? What's OC spray?
Definitely a fixed blade unless you have a very reliable LARGE folder you can open one handed.
Redneck Liberal This Is The Way

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

16
Stun guns up close, or a taser work well on dogs as I understand it (no first hand experience), actually too well as a Taser can kill a smaller dog, though if the dog is attacking you without reason then who cares etc?

Agreed, that poor guy should've tried harder to get up on the car, and never let attacking dogs get you off your feet if you can help it!

I typically carry Pepper Gel and a Stun Gun (50K Volts), plus a folder when out with the dogs (typically to protect them and me from other dogs or Coyotes etc), though I'm looking at getting a sub-compact Taser as well to replace the Stun Gun as it'll allow a stand-off shot, and it continues to work as a Stun Gun once it's been fired etc.

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

18
tonguengroover wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:16 pm
FrontSight wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:00 pm A fixed blade knife would straight ruin a pit bull's day. Good points on the OC spray, a dog's highly refined sense of smell REALLY gets overwhelmed.
I bought some Bear spray at Costco couple months ago. I hope that works as well as OC spray? What's OC spray?
Definitely a fixed blade unless you have a very reliable LARGE folder you can open one handed.
OC = oleoresin capsicum. AKA pepper spray.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

19
featureless wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm
DJD100 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:43 pm and never let attacking dogs get you off your feet if you can help it!
Never let attacking anything get you off your feet. Unless it's a playful partner and there's a soft landing.

But seriously, stay on your feet. Even knees are better than prone on the ground where you lose all mobility and leverage.
:beer2:

Just ordered my sub compact Taser Pulse Plus (which will fit my Kahr PM9 holsters, plus it uses standard batteries rather the the plain Taser Plus which uses a proprietary battery pack), so pretty soon I'll be packin' stand-off volts LOL!

$329 here, usually $449 most places (yeah, I know!)...

https://selfdefenseproductsinc.com/coll ... sponse-app

Re: Just another Reason Why You Should Always Carry Something

20
DJD100 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:19 am
featureless wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm
DJD100 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:43 pm and never let attacking dogs get you off your feet if you can help it!
Never let attacking anything get you off your feet. Unless it's a playful partner and there's a soft landing.

But seriously, stay on your feet. Even knees are better than prone on the ground where you lose all mobility and leverage.
:beer2:

Just ordered my sub compact Taser Pulse Plus (which will fit my Kahr PM9 holsters, plus it uses standard batteries rather the the plain Taser Plus which uses a proprietary battery pack), so pretty soon I'll be packin' stand-off volts LOL!

$329 here, usually $449 most places (yeah, I know!)...

https://selfdefenseproductsinc.com/coll ... sponse-app
Well that is a very cool weapon. I kinda worry about the gun look cus someone might mistake it for a gun. Is your back up a hand gun? :)
Redneck Liberal This Is The Way

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: YankeeTarheel and 15 guests

cron