Protesters planning a rally on Sept. 18th at the Capitol to support Jan 6 defendants in custody

Fencing outside U.S. Capitol is expected to return ahead of the "Justice for J6" rally, a source familiar with the plans confirmed to ABC News.

The fencing, erected after the Jan. 6 riot, was removed in July.

"Justice for J6" is being billed by organizers as a protest for defendants who are being detained by the government in connection to the January insurrection at the Capitol.

The fencing is just the latest security measure for a rally that has some in law enforcement on high alert.

Federal law enforcement agencies have become concerned that far-right extremists, including the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys could come to Washington for the protest.

U.S. Capitol Police is the leading agency for the event.

"We are closely monitoring Sept. 18 and we are planning accordingly," said Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger. "After Jan. 6, we made department-wide changes to the way we gather and share intelligence internally and externally. I am confident the work we are doing now will make sure our officers have what they need to keep everyone safe."

Every available Capitol Police officer will be working and the Washington Metropolitan Police Department said they are also "fully prepared" for the protest.

"As with all First Amendment demonstrations, MPD will be monitoring and assessing the activities and planning accordingly with our federal law enforcement partners," an MPD spokesperson said in a statement to ABC News. "MPD will have an increased presence around the city where demonstrations will be taking place and will be prepared to make street closures for public safety."

Additionally, the FBI Washington Field Office said they are working closely with state local and federal partners.

Javed Ali, a former national counterterrorism director on the National Security Council said agencies have cause for concern.

"While the government has not yet issued threat bulletins about specific and credible plots on that day, like 6 January there may be people who attend in a highly agitated mindset and then switch quickly to violent action with little-to-no warning," Ali said.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas told reporters on Wednesday that information sharing is key to avoiding another incident like Jan. 6.

He said the Department of Homeland Security has increased information sharing efforts throughout the country.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fence-u ... d=79915779
People are seen near the Capitol building, Sept. 6, 2021
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Protesters planning a rally on Sept. 18th at the Capitol to support Jan 6 defendants in custody

This is not the coup.

This is the attempt to gauge present support for the coup.

If this was the coup, your elected leaders would be bleeding out, and a suitable puppet in in the line of succession would be sworn into office on an emergency basis. This will not happen until January 2023 unless the balance of the Senate shifts and a Senate President Pro Tempore amenable to the coup replaces Patrick Leahy.

We are this close to the coup, people. We survived the last one because of incompetence. The next people to try won't make that mistake again.

Re: Protesters planning a rally on Sept. 18th at the Capitol to support Jan 6 defendants in custody

The Capitol Police department is preparing for potential violence at a Sept. 18 protest that members of Congress have been invited to attend.

The organization Look Ahead America — led by Matt Braynard, a former Trump campaign employee — requested a permit for up to 500 people to demonstrate at noon Sept. 18 in Union Square for a so-called #JusticeForJ6 rally. The event is intended to support those arrested as a result of storming the Capitol on Jan. 6 and to call for justice for a rioter who was fatally shot that day. More than 570 defendants have been arrested in connection with the attack, according to the Department of Justice.

An intelligence evaluation from the Capitol Police said there could be violence at the rally.

“Though outwardly Matt Braynard has instructed attendees to remain peaceful, given the propensity for this group to attract domestic extremists, their support for the insurrectionists, and their continued challenges to democratic institutions, it is not unreasonable to plan for violent altercations with those associated with this demonstration,” a department assessment said.

Far-right websites, including patriots.win, have featured discussions flagged by the department.

“Tyrants want us to live in fear. They want us to fear being labeled ‘domestic terrorists,’’ one post says. Another says, “I sure hope people will show up and not coward to these rotten people in DC.” Some commenters offered advice like telling prospective attendees not to bring their cell phones and to stay in hotels outside of D.C.

The Proud Boys put out a video that encourages members of the far-right extremist group to attend the rally, and White Lives Matter is promoting a nationwide protest on Sept. 18 that includes the District of Columbia, according to Capitol Police intelligence. White Lives Matter is described by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a neo-Nazi group.

The Capitol Police Board will likely meet this week to consider the security posture for the rally, which could include the construction of a fence around the Capitol complex, a source familiar told CQ Roll Call. The board that will ultimately decide whether the fence goes up is composed of three voting members: House Sergeant-at-Arms William J. Walker, Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Karen Gibson and J. Brett Blanton, the architect of the Capitol. J. Thomas Manger, the Capitol Police chief, is an ex officio member of the board.

“We are closely monitoring September 18 and we are planning accordingly. After January 6, we made Department-wide changes to the way we gather and share intelligence internally and externally,” Manger said in a Sept. 1 statement. “I am confident the work we are doing now will make sure our officers have what they need to keep everyone safe.”

The Department of Homeland Security assigned the Look Ahead America protest a special event assessment rating of five. The scale ranges from five— “Events that may be nationally recognized but generally have local or state importance” — to one, described by DHS as “Significant events with national and/or international importance that require extensive federal interagency support.” That rating is subject to change as the rally date approaches.

“In anticipation of First Amendment activities on Saturday, September 18, 2021, the Metropolitan Police Department will be fully prepared,” Kristen Metzger, a spokesperson for D.C.’s Metropolitan Police Department, said in a statement. “As with all First Amendment demonstrations, MPD will be monitoring and assessing the activities and planning accordingly with our federal law enforcement partners. MPD will have an increased presence around the city where demonstrations will be taking place and will be prepared to make street closures for public safety.”

Braynard, the executive director of Look Ahead America, said in a rally guidance video that the protest's focus is on “demanding justice” for what he called “political prisoners,” and for Ashli Babbitt, an Air Force veteran and QAnon follower fatally shot by a Capitol Police officer as she attempted to breach the Speaker’s Lobby through a broken window during the insurrection. Braynard did not respond to a request for comment.
https://www.rollcall.com/2021/09/08/cap ... s-invited/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

While I'm sure some of the 570 or so arrestees from 1/6 will attend next weeks cabal, although ordered to stay out of DC while their cases proceed, I hope they lose their bail and are jailed and punished extensively and expensively for their stupidity defying court orders - they just will not be able to control their desire to appease the orange turd.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:14 am While I'm sure some of the 570 or so arrestees from 1/6 will attend next weeks cabal, although ordered to stay out of DC while their cases proceed, I hope they lose their bail and are jailed and punished extensively and expensively for their stupidity defying court orders - they just will not be able to control their desire to appease the orange turd.
The arrestees out on bail or OR are very likely prohibited by court order from entering the district unless it's to appear in court. But their relatives and friends could attend.
Top security officials in Congress are expected to reinstall fencing around the Capitol and authorize the use of deadly force ahead of a planned rally by far-right Trump supporters next weekend demanding the release of rioters arrested in connection with the 6 January insurrection.

The officials, however, had no plans so far to request the national guard, and were not pushing for such a request, principally because the threat assessment did not warrant their deployment, according to sources familiar with the matter.

The Justice for J6 rally on 18 September is being organized by the Trump operative Matt Braynard and his organization Look Ahead America. It is being held to demand that the justice department drop charges against nearly 600 people charged in connection with the Capitol attack which the group calls “non-violent protesters”, despite widespread violence and five deaths during the insurrection.

The Senate sergeant-at-arms, Lt Gen Karen Gibson, House sergeant-at-arms, Maj Gen William Walker, and US Capitol police chief, Thomas Manger, are expectedto approve fencing to form the backbone of their security response, the sources said.

The reinstallation of the 7ft fence as part of a perimeter that could extend to the Capitol reflecting pool will be supplemented by the authorization of US Capitol police officers to use deadly force to protect members of Congress and staff, the sources said.

Both measures were characterized to the Guardian as a move to warn against anyone attempting a repeat of the 6 January attack on the Capitol. The final recommendations are slated to be unveiled at a briefing to congressional leaders on Monday.
The approval for the fence is almost certain to be granted as security officials believe it remains the most efficient method to secure the Capitol – and can serve as a dry-run for a new quick-reaction fencing contract funded in a $2.1bn security bill passed by Congress in July.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ary-attack

Attendance calamity at Kentucky rally featuring pro-Trump conspiracy theorists

Some of the biggest names pushing pro-Trump conspiracy theories were unable to draw much of a crowd at a "We the People Reunion" rally in Kentucky.

"The event is hosting speakers such as the CEO of MyPillow, Mike Lindell, former national security advisor Michael Flynn and Pastor Greg Locke, who has in the past admitted to being at the Capitol during the January 6 Capitol riot," WFIE 14 News reported.

The station reported on attendance at the event.

"Promoters said they expected crowds of around 10,000 people. Fewer than 300 were at the event when 14 News arrived," the network reported.
https://www.rawstory.com/michael-flynn- ... 654994519/

May they have the same results at the 9/18 rally at the capital and all further Rallies. We could also hope they have the same turn out at the next elections.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I read that "lethal force" has been authorized should things get out of hand (assault on Capital Bldg). I expect that will have a dampening effect on the crowd and crowd size. Too bad that wasn't in full force on 1/6 during insurrection. Had the insurrection not been lead by the then president, I expect lethal would have been authorized.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I've heard "Lethal Force has been authorized" too. Just exactly what does that mean? They don't have to wait until the protester(s) threat of death or great bodily harm? They can start shooting after commands to disperse? I doubt that very much.

Sounds like BS bluster, "Double Secret Probation!"

I just don't like my government tossing around Lethal Force threats against its citizens ( or really anybody). There should be a clear line.

BKinzey wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:23 am I've heard "Lethal Force has been authorized" too. Just exactly what does that mean? They don't have to wait until the protester(s) threat of death or great bodily harm? They can start shooting after commands to disperse? I doubt that very much.

Sounds like BS bluster, "Double Secret Probation!"

I just don't like my government tossing around Lethal Force threats against its citizens ( or really anybody). There should be a clear line.
There will be a clear line called a fence and non-violent. Throw words across the fence is fine but nothing else.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

The whole world will be watching, even more than on January 6 and I suspect law enforcement will be recording it. I expect that USCP have special guidelines for officers in the use of lethal force in a riot setting vs normal protection like the shooting of Ashli Babbitt.

I really doubt it will get to that, I expect there will be a lot more coordination between federal agents and USCP, so instigators will be surrounded and arrested or detained. The National Guard wasn't mobilized and I doubt that the feds want the VA and MD state police forces to have to come back into the district.

This could be a bust, but prepare for the worst.

Capitol Police said Monday that 44-year-old Donald Craighead was charged with possession of prohibited weapons after a patrolling Special Operations Division officer noticed that the Dodge Dakota did not have a visible license plate and pulled the driver over around midnight. Police said that the officer then spotted a bayonet and machete, both of which are types of knives that are illegal in Washington, D.C., inside the truck. Capitol Police also said that Craighead espoused white supremacist rhetoric while he was pulled over.

Photos of his car released by police showed Nazi swastikas on the truck’s side mirror; a pentagram on the steering wheel; what appears to be the word “confederate” across the dashboard and other symbols. A pair of horns were also affixed to the truck’s front grill.

Capitol Police said it is further investigating the incident but does not initially believe Craighead was linked to the upcoming protests planned around the Capitol complex later this week. Officials have been preparing for that rally in hopes of preventing a repeat of the massive security failures on Jan 6., when a mob of supporters of former President Donald Trump swarmed the Capitol, overwhelmed Capitol Police and temporarily disrupted Congress' certification of the 2020 presidential election results.

“We applaud the officers’ keen observation and the teamwork that resulted in this arrest,” USCP Chief Tom Manger said in a statement announcing the arrest.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/1 ... ers-511646

One person arrived early.

Oh look, there will be state rallys as well. Scroll down. https://lookaheadamerica.org/rally/

The organizer says they want to be treated as nicely as Antifa and BLM people. hehe And
Do not wear or bring political, candidate, or another organization’s paraphernalia. This includes clothing or banners supportive of President Trump or President Biden.
Huh?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:35 pm Oh look, there will be state rallys as well. Scroll down. https://lookaheadamerica.org/rally/

The organizer says they want to be treated as nicely as Antifa and BLM people. hehe And
Do not wear or bring political, candidate, or another organization’s paraphernalia. This includes clothing or banners supportive of President Trump or President Biden.
Huh?

Smart, the TV cameras won't pan a sea of MAGA hats and easily dismiss them. Like the Proud Boys did on January 6, ditch the gang clothing so law enforcement can't identify them, not all federal agents will be in uniform. If they act nicely they should expect equal treatment since TV cameras will be everywhere.