Grant Cunningham, watchmaker and revolversmith?

I noticed in last year's annual meeting the keynote speaker was a guy named Grant Cunningham. I'm not terribly familiar with the defensive pistol world, but I did regularly read a Portland-based revolversmith's blog a decade ago who went by the same name. One article I remember in great detail was a description of the Bulova 214 'Accutron' movement and its early use in the space program. I bought myself a Railroad Approved model as a gift when I finished school based on that article.

Is this the same guy who spoke for the keynote address to this group?

His writing was always very clear and well organized, and I don't recall a political message. However, the blog seems to have unfortunately disappeared. I'd be very tickled to learn he's a member of this group.

Re: Grant Cunningham, watchmaker and revolversmith?

Yeah, he and I spend a bit of time discussing the high-end mechanical watches. As expected, he described Rolex as over-priced. (I have a low-end one I bought over 25 years ago as a splurge. It's understated so it doesn't look so much like a typical Rolex--and 2 years later the price had doubled.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

belus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:03 am I noticed in last year's annual meeting the keynote speaker was a guy named Grant Cunningham. I'm not terribly familiar with the defensive pistol world, but I did regularly read a Portland-based revolversmith's blog a decade ago who went by the same name. One article I remember in great detail was a description of the Bulova 214 'Accutron' movement and its early use in the space program. I bought myself a Railroad Approved model as a gift when I finished school based on that article.

His writing was always very clear and well organized, and I don't recall a political message. However, the blog seems to have unfortunately disappeared. I'd be very tickled to learn he's a member of this group.
Guilty as charged. ;)

Wow - what a treasure trove. Don’t know how I missed it. [mention]GrantCunningham [/mention]

I love your chill philosophy on preparedness. It’s a breath of fresh air In a zone flooded with toxic “survivalist” advice. I’ve always thought the “vacation home” bug out plan was a myth & the past year confirmed it. My parents have a place in northern MI & MI put travel restrictions in place in 2020 as to not overwhelm the rural, northern, MI health facilities. I’ve always tried to be reasonably prepared for a disaster in place with out being a paranoid, lunatic. Humans have always survived as communities, by helping each other. Lone Wolf “survivalist” strategy, to me has always been a fantasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 am Yeah, he and I spend a bit of time discussing the high-end mechanical watches. As expected, he described Rolex as over-priced. (I have a low-end one I bought over 25 years ago as a splurge. It's understated so it doesn't look so much like a typical Rolex--and 2 years later the price had doubled.
Supply and demand. I bought my GMT Master in 1978..$645..today even a average used one is easily $8000 or more. A NIB one from that era can be 6 figures.
For overpriced..I'd say Omega are certainly that...BUT any discussion with 'watch people' quickly turns into a similar discussion when talking about say, Glocks or Sigs or ??

-Admited Glock fan-boy who also likes Rolex...

F4FEver wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:29 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:46 am Yeah, he and I spend a bit of time discussing the high-end mechanical watches. As expected, he described Rolex as over-priced. (I have a low-end one I bought over 25 years ago as a splurge. It's understated so it doesn't look so much like a typical Rolex--and 2 years later the price had doubled.
Supply and demand. I bought my GMT Master in 1978..$645..today even a average used one is easily $8000 or more. A NIB one from that era can be 6 figures.
For overpriced..I'd say Omega are certainly that...BUT any discussion with 'watch people' quickly turns into a similar discussion when talking about say, Glocks or Sigs or ??

-Admited Glock fan-boy who also likes Rolex...
Yeah but you can buy 2 VP1s now for what I paid for my understated Rolex Date--back in 1994! I generally think Omega makes better mechanical watches than Rolex.
But these days smart watches are more accurate than even the best high end electric watches. My Garmin Forerunner (about $250 on sale) is always accurate to the second, like the "Atomic Clocks" you can buy that connect to the real Atomic Clock in Colorado.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

GrantCunningham wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:12 pm
belus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:03 am I noticed in last year's annual meeting the keynote speaker was a guy named Grant Cunningham. I'm not terribly familiar with the defensive pistol world, but I did regularly read a Portland-based revolversmith's blog a decade ago who went by the same name. One article I remember in great detail was a description of the Bulova 214 'Accutron' movement and its early use in the space program. I bought myself a Railroad Approved model as a gift when I finished school based on that article.

Guilty as charged. ;)
And why didn't I know that you were on the forums :)

CDFingers wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:11 am I bought his book on Revolvers, and it's excellent.

CDFingers
I’ve been re-reading his “Protect Yourself With Your Snubnose Revolver” as I hunt for another snubnose. LoL. Not having much success in finding what I’m looking for, but I am trying learn more so I can go practice. I’ve been assessing my carry needs and concluded I’d be perfectly happy with a snubnose as my carry piece. I wouldn’t mind if the opportunity came again to take his class someday. I hear it was a great experience from the national meet.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.