What are your Hiking long guns?

I have an $89 RIA Turkish, single shot 12 ga. that I do take hiking along during Ohio small game season, especially In the wild life Areas where there has been a pheasant release a few days before. I’ve snagged a few birds that way. (The release birds have no survival skills and Just walk around like idiots after the pressure of the hunt is over.) The shotgun is Light weight and folds. I wouldn’t want to shoot it all day. But I bring a few #6 heavy field loads. I always have a handgun as well, but I don’t handgun hunt. Normally, I don’t find the additional weight of a long gun worth it on regular hikes here In the “tames” of Ohio, where it’s almost impossible to get lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What are your Hiking long guns?

The wife and I hike a lot. Our hikes usually are grade 3- 4, not really long but strenuous as the mountains here have significant elevation gains and losses. So most time it's just a pistol, but on longer easier ones I take my Sub 2K 9mm along if there is an overnight - cus lions jaguars and bears and an occasional weirdo human. Oh my!

That shot gun is cool. Better for the woods I guess. There's lots of quail out here as you know but they are more lower elevation dwellers. Out here you can see miles upon miles and the forested areas are not as dense as back east. Unless your in northern AZ
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

When I'm hunting carrying what ever long gun I'm using at the time I bring along my Primo mono pod Gen 3 trigger stick. Works great as a hiking stick.

https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/ ... 65813.html

You can also get an optics/camera mount plate and other accessories. https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/accessories/
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I have never carried a long gun on a hike. But my only threat might be a two legged critter, not 4 legged. I seldom take a pistol with me. I always have a brush ax in the outer pocket of my lumbar pack.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

FrontSight wrote:Bird hunting often means a LONG hike, and when I'm looking for birds, I will have one of these in my hand.
Yeah - if I’m going out bird hunting as the purpose, I bring my Benelli Ultralight.

I’m more talking about a “do all” hiking gun, that could perform a variety of roles - one of which is being folded/broke down so as not to have to be hand-carried or slung. When I’m long hiking in late fall early winter I like to be able to take a shot at a game bird, but I’m not out “hunting”. There are a lot of state parks with extensive, little used trails in the winter. In The summer they are too crowded & an long gun would raise a few eyebrows for sure here In ohio. I stick to a concealed pistol in the summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk