Zastava ZPAP M70

Despite having explored Russian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish, etc. AK/M variants--all historically interesting--my current favorite carbine for drills has become the Zastava ZPAP M70.

For those not in the know, the ZPAP M70 is the Serbian-made US-compliant version of the old Yugoslavian M70 sometimes referred to as the "Tito"-spec version, which also was made by Zastava and was widely used in the Yugoslav Wars. Although there are many poorly-built Tito-spec M70s in the US cobbled together by the various manufacturers who messed up other AKs, quality builds _can_ be acquired for serious coin. With that, you get a bayonet lug, a non-chrome-lined barrel, and maybe a bulky flip-up grenade sight. All M70s have unusually long handguards. Typically, they are lightly tapered and excellent for grip. It's part of the appeal.

The ZPAP M70 came with too-nice "Serbian Red" handguards easily swapped out for used cosmoline-soaked war-era Yugoslavian handguards for a grittier feel. A cheese grater on top would be better for heat dissipation. That might match up disgustingly with a Midwest Industries drop-in M-LOK lower handguard if I want to add a light and have a QD sling mount. The barrel is chrome-lined, and the receiver is 1.5mm stamped.

With a crummy Russian NPZ PKU-2 Pro red dot, I'm finding the rifle terrific for drills. Runs terribly fast with an ALG trigger. It's far less kludgy to drive than an AR, and mine is more than accurate enough for the type of shooting I am doing with it. Recoil is noticeably low.

Here is a cat who tarted one up with some grim Yugoslav War wood handguards--far worse than what I got--and the same Gucci stock I had borrowed from an acquaintance for a while. The presenter describes that hideous rifle, complete with taped-up bakelite mag, as "beautiful." My thinking is "rifle is fine" regardless of how not fine it is.

To his credit, he is adept at running AKs in drills and has a decent underhanded charge.

Prior to modification:

Rob Ski has a video on the ZPAP M70 as well.

Re: Zastava ZPAP M70

AK's are just too much fun. The Serbians make a good AK, no doubt about it. I had the NPAP which is made on a Zastava receiver; good AK. I ended up selling it to fund the purchase of my 1979 nickel Python; no regrets there. But now I have an AK itch...
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Zastava makes a fine fireare. Probably the best of today's imports. I've more than a few & even more Yugoslavian kalashnikovs. Got a big damn hole in my knee from one. I've still got that particular M64.

They just work, & work well. But I do not and most likely never will understand all that Gucci boutique crap people are so damn obsessed with hangingon a gun. Be it an Ar, Ak, Fal, or whatnot. Doodads equal weight, weight cuts into your load out. Ounces translates in munitions carried. A good optic, yes absolutely. I'm a fiend for a kashtan myself. All the other stuff (lights, lasers, grips of every sort, and stocks oh my) I find stupid to a large extent. Though not always. They do have their places. More of a training issue than a gear issue most of the time.

But I am a purist when when it comes to an Ak. So my opinion is more than a little biased.
Screw communism

It all depends on what you use your rifle for.
I'm a retired combatant...I consider myself a non-combatant. So my military rifles are more about history and fun for the whole family; not for nutball things like "resisting the government" or attending Proud Boys rallies.
Some shoot/train for the day they think they'll have to defend themselves from the right wing. Okay, that's fine....but it's not me.

If I thought I were going into combat, I'd have some shit hanging off my rifle. You don't want to find yourself with an anacronym on a modern battlefield. So LPVO with illuminated reticle, a powerful flashlight, and an IR laser would be on my rifle if I thought I were going to war.

But that's not me. So my guns tend to roll with open sights, or optics that are period correct.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

mattgunguy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:38 pm Zastava makes a fine fireare. Probably the best of today's imports. I've more than a few & even more Yugoslavian kalashnikovs. Got a big damn hole in my knee from one. I've still got that particular M64.

They just work, & work well. But I do not and most likely never will understand all that Gucci boutique crap people are so damn obsessed with hangingon a gun. Be it an Ar, Ak, Fal, or whatnot. Doodads equal weight, weight cuts into your load out. Ounces translates in munitions carried. A good optic, yes absolutely. I'm a fiend for a kashtan myself. All the other stuff (lights, lasers, grips of every sort, and stocks oh my) I find stupid to a large extent. Though not always. They do have their places. More of a training issue than a gear issue most of the time.

But I am a purist when when it comes to an Ak. So my opinion is more than a little biased.
Saw a listing for some M64 front stubs for rewelding on GB recently. There is some detail on the process here: M64 / M70 reweld (archive link)

If I were a purist, instead of a ZPAP M70, I would have insisted on a Tito M70 build or even a rewelded milled M70 receiver and a kit, which would have been most excellent. Some of that definitely is beyond my expertise, though.

It's easy for me to make good use of a rifle that already has some wear on it, but when one is new, I tend to want to preserve parts that would show wear from handling, like the OEM handguards and stock. That is the case even though I don't fret about the finish on the metal parts wearing. I keep pics of all my firearms from as soon as I get them home for reference in my book anyway.

A Midwest Industries lower M-LOK handguard with a Yugo "hater" cheese grater on top is about the same weight as cosmoline-saturated Yugoslavian War wood. There is not a single thing I want to attach to that handguard, but it's light and well-ventilated. I have installed both as well as combinations of those four pieces. If the aluminum lower guard doesn't look _fitting_ for the rifle after getting scratched up, I can refinish it easily.

That JMAC Gucci stock certainly takes weight off, but not really in the right place. It is unbeatable for L-R transitions, but I find an AR buffer tube with a narrow SOPMOD stock better for regular use, particularly since the LoP is adjustable. There is a reason AR stocks have become popular on AKs and other contraptions; they keep the barrel in closer to a direct line with the shoulder and are adjustable. Thus they have less muzzle rise and quicker target acquisitions.

The added weight on my ZPAP M70 would be the Russian red dot and mount. An optic really is a must for how I'm using the rifle now.

For me, the value of the rifle is in how well I can get through CoFs with it and how easy it is to handle in the process. I'm finding the ZPAP M70 even faster than the much pricier LMT CQBMLK16-MARS. In short, if the ZPAP M70 can do what I need it to do well as I have configured it, then "rifle is fine."

DispositionMatrix wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:30 pm
It's easy for me to make good use of a rifle that already has some wear on it, but when one is new, I tend to want to preserve parts that would show wear from handling, like the OEM handguards and stock. That is the case even though I don't fret about the finish on the metal parts wearing. I keep pics of all my firearms from as soon as I get them home for reference in my book anyway.
I think everyone suffers from that to some degree. I have certain guns I really baby, and then I have others that get none of that. For the one's I have decided not to baby, I actually consider ever scratch or section of worn finish a badge of honor. Honest use.

lurker wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:46 pm got more pics of it?
Nothing with any better detail, just this one
It's a remarkably accurate rifle, much more accurate than it has a right to be. 200m shots are child's play, and 300m shots are quite doable.

The gun of storm trooper!!!! I'm going to assume its in 9mm. I had one from Wiselite arms that was 7.62x25, would not run right unfortunately. It did start my love affair with that caliber though.

Disposition, have you had the opportunity to use an original yugo grip? Probably the best of the factory an grips & most the aftermarket as well. There was a feller on akfiles (if you can tolerate the bullshit there) by the name of Ronin who was producing 9r compliant copies of the factory yugo grips. Not sure if he still is or not. The US Palm are pretty damn nice too.
Screw communism