Anyone have RV experience?

My wife and I are toying with the idea of an RV as a way to explore the country, yet still have the comforts of home.
So we'd like something that is:
a) a Toy Hauler,
b) able to operate without a campsite power, water, and sewer.
c) built/in washer/dryer
d) Internet/TV
e) Personal privacy

Should we consider a motor home, 5th wheel, or just a trailer?
My truck has a max tow rating of 9,500 lbs and all the hookups other than a trailer-brake controller.

And a BIG thing is where to go with it. We're thinking Corning Glass, and Niagra Falls.

Thoughts? My wife does NOT like to "rough it" and has a phobia about snakes.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Anyone have RV experience?

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:02 am
SNIP
And a BIG thing is where to go with it. We're thinking Corning Glass, and Niagra Falls.

FWIW - Save the bucks and skip RV. Drive to and stay in lodges in the areas you visit. May save your marriage and in all probability, less expensive! RVing ain't cheap regardless of method. If you're still hell bent on doing it, rent one to try out - motorized or trailer - before commitment. That's my $0.02. Good luck regardless of your decision.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

My wife watches all these youtube channels about RV and tiny homes and shit, so she wants to sell the house and do that. So, there's discussion. But, nah. Too old for that shit anymore. I like my garden, anyway.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Considering covid is up an running again I would stay away from motel/hotels for awhile and think that is a good idea. The wife and I were thinking the same thing.

Just get a 4x4 go anywhere camper van. Seen some of these floating through town. They are awesome. Saw a Global X Vehicle once in the safeway parking lot, like wow.

https://www.thewaywardhome.com/off-road-adventure-van/

https://vanclan.co/off-road-campers/
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

My wife and I have been hauling the kids around the western united states every summer for a while now with a camper in tow... for a long time we had an old early-70's Cardinal 'canned ham' but this year we upgraded to a Wolf Pup 22 foot trailer as our kids near their teen years and keep getting bigger. It's got a kitchen, fridge, freezer, toilet, shower, dinette, bunks for the kids and a queen sized bed. I'm hauling it comfortably with my Nissan Titan V8 (~10,000 lbs towing capacity).
The pros outweigh the cons in my mind, especially for traveling during Covid. It's easy to find cheap RV parks or campgrounds that require no inside or close contact with others, and at worst you can always Boondock on public land for free for a night or two. Having our own "facilities" means no public restrooms, and the kitchen allows us to cook and eat cheaply (well, relatively... did I mention the near-teen-age boys?).

The Cons are mostly experience-based... as in, if you know how to manipulate a trailer you're going to be fine, but it's a bit of a learning curve, especially when you pull one of those late night "oh this dead end road wasn't where I meant to turn" and have to back up, three point turn, etc. Also, the convenience of towing your own bathroom means you're now a waste management employee, and dumping / monitoring / maintaining your tanks can be a bit of a chore until you get used to it. Then comes the GAS... you're gonna want to buy all the cool RV/Trailer shit (but don't forget, that adds weight!).

Overall I love traveling with the trailer, especially the new Wolf Pup... we took it out to Montana in the spring and we're headed that way again next week. 25 hours from California, but with the trailer it's like you're always kind of at home!
-Crow
Minute Of Average

My parents were very much the outdoors types. Growing up we did a lot of camping with tents, more than one fell on us but we survived. Then they graduated into small campers and finally trailers steadily getting larger and larger ones, the largest one slept 8 with frig and commode shower combination. Remember one time I was driving it and one of the sway bars broke and if it wasn't for the chains, the trailer would have passed us descending the Sierras on I-80.

Have had work buddies who had motorhomes. One used to sell them so when he bought his, he got a class C size and loves it. Another bought a class A size which is like a public bus and her partner refused to drive it so she had harrowing tales of a class A in metro traffic and parking it. She finally sold it. Another had a older diesel one and his wife wouldn't drive it.

They are expensive especially if you're pulling a toybox and maybe another vehicle to boot, gasoline isn't cheap. I've seen motorhome owners tank up with a bill close to a thousand dollars.

Personally I'll pay for a hotel or motel and enjoy the local sites, it doesn't have to be a fancy place just clean it's usually just one night. You can pay for a lot of hotels and motels for $1000. There are great advantages of staying in wilderness areas, but things break down when you're on trips and vehicle accidents happen especially when pulling multiple vehicles.
https://www.curbed.com/article/rv-class ... guide.html

FWIW, just my experience and those of my friends.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

hd - good advice. My cross street neighbors had a large travel trailer with slide out wings they seldom used, pulled with Ram FWD 1.5T 5th wheel. Bought it used. Spent a bundle fixing up, built a concrete pad and double gate on side of house for parking. Quit using and the squirrels/rats/rodents ended it's life - ate the wiring. Fortunately they had insurance that ended up paying them more than they paid buying (trailer, not the other stuff).
I've spent a lot of time tent camping and backpacking from mid 60's thru early 90's. Did rent a clam shell trailer for carrying camp gear (this on months long trips). Would check into a motel about every 3-4 weeks just to rest up from resting up. LOL Got my tit in a wringer in Idaho on a raging river that road dead ended on - river to the right, gulley to the left - thought I'd never get out of that fix backing that damned trailer up about 1/2 mile - never did that shit again!!!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:23 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:02 am
SNIP

FWIW - Save the bucks and skip RV. Drive to and stay in lodges in the areas you visit. May save your marriage and in all probability, less expensive! RVing ain't cheap regardless of method. If you're still hell bent on doing it, rent one to try out - motorized or trailer - before commitment. That's my $0.02. Good luck regardless of your decision.
Obviously we intend to rent one first, probably for a long weekend, see if we like it.

You miss the whole point: We don't want to be constantly packing and unpacking. We want to load up and go. We cruised for many years because we'd unpack once for a week or, usually, 2 weeks, and not pack again until the night before. While hotels are getting more careful about cleanliness and making up rooms, there's always a risk, and now it's rising, ESPECIALLY in Republican states, but also in pockets, like my county in NJ. The idea is to bring our "hotel room" with us....and a toy hauler means my motorcycle and our bicycles can be on board.

I'm not very good at backing a trailer, but if you really want a challenge, try doing it from a right-hand drive car!

I used to LOVE camping--but I'm not 22 or 23 anymore--I'm 66 and roughing it is not my first option, and my wife won't do it unless it's the apocalypse and the neo-nazis have us out-gunned if we try to hold the fort. Then she'd PROBABLY be willing to camp--but don't bet on it! Still, I'm not springing it on her, we're discussing it. And, no, we don't need a million dollar RV that can actually garage a small car without pulling a "dinghy"--like a German Vario-Mobil.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

CDFingers wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 am My wife watches all these youtube channels about RV and tiny homes and shit, so she wants to sell the house and do that. So, there's discussion. But, nah. Too old for that shit anymore. I like my garden, anyway.

CDFingers
Sounds expensive and I’d rather have a small home with a garden and take day trips in my MINI or motorcycle. I’ve seen places and traveled, the places I still want to see are not going to be accessible by a motor vehicle alone. Good luck YT, RVs are beyond my reach.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

CDFingers wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:30 pm I think I want to go to Chaco Canyon this winter. Hope I make it happen for the winter solstice.

https://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm

CDFingers

Looks interesting. Definitely a trip for winter, shorter days but cooler temperatures. Do you have a Senior Pass ?
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I have a 5800 lb Dry weight (probably tow in excess of 7k loaded, normally) 27’ Travel Traveler (bunk house model) & an F-250 7.3L gas 4X4 to pull it. It’s really the only way my family of 7 can economically go on vacations. Plus, they can be a great way to travel to events as well. I was a competitive triathlete several years ago & the rest I get on a camper mattress in the A/C the night before far exceeds racing after a night in a tent. I meet my dad and brother for a hunting trip in the fall as well - again, a night in a heated trailer is very pleasant after a cold day hunting.

I started with a Ford expedition with a 9100 lb tow capacity, but any inclement weather, wind, or excessive amounts semi-trucks passing made it a “white knuckling” nightmare as it is a giant sail. The 3.5 L eco boost in the expedition actually had plenty of power, but the vehicle was just too small for that size (not weight) trailer. A 1/2 ton truck will tow better, Because of the longer wheelbase & greater weight of the truck, and generally, heavier geared rear end. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck is designed to tow, and tows like a dream. Ensure you have enough truck, or it really sucks. I got away with the expedition for a season but we were practically limited to very close trips.

IMHO, The biggest expense of a TT or 5th wheel camper is the tow vehicle. The loan rates for campers & longer loan periods make them reasonable if you have decent (at least good) credit.

Personally, we like having the camper and usually spend 20-30 + nights in it a year. I keep it on my property and my cats keep it rodent free. Next year, I am doing a 3 week trip out to SD & Colorado & that’s where it really shines. Most state parks are only $30 +\- for a nightly fee. I stay on my parents property 400 miles away In MI, and that only costs me gas & food (however, it is set up w/ a 30 amp service & a septic tank to dump in).

We pretty much made every mistake early on & are now pretty much seasoned campers. I like the freedom they offer to pick up and bolt for a few days, when we are bored of the homestead. That was invaluable with kids in virtual school all last year during “pre vaccine period” of COVID.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highdesert wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:17 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:30 pm I think I want to go to Chaco Canyon this winter. Hope I make it happen for the winter solstice.

https://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm

CDFingers

Looks interesting. Definitely a trip for winter, shorter days but cooler temperatures. Do you have a Senior Pass ?
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
We'll get another. Our annual one expired, as we went to Lassen a lot but not during the pandemic. It's a good deal, especially for camping.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:21 pm I have a 5800 lb Dry weight (probably tow in excess of 7k loaded, normally) 27’ Travel Traveler (bunk house model) & an F-250 7.3L gas 4X4 to pull it. It’s really the only way my family of 7 can economically go on vacations. Plus, they can be a great way to travel to events as well. I was a competitive triathlete several years ago & the rest I get on a camper mattress in the A/C the night before far exceeds racing after a night in a tent. I meet my dad and brother for a hunting trip in the fall as well - again, a night in a heated trailer is very pleasant after a cold day hunting.

I started with a Ford expedition with a 9100 lb tow capacity, but any inclement weather, wind, or excessive amounts semi-trucks passing made it a “white knuckling” nightmare as it is a giant sail. The 3.5 L eco boost in the expedition actually had plenty of power, but the vehicle was just too small for that size (not weight) trailer. A 1/2 ton truck will tow better, Because of the longer wheelbase & greater weight of the truck, and generally, heavier geared rear end. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck is designed to tow, and tows like a dream. Ensure you have enough truck, or it really sucks. I got away with the expedition for a season but we were practically limited to very close trips.

IMHO, The biggest expense of a TT or 5th wheel camper is the tow vehicle. The loan rates for campers & longer loan periods make them reasonable if you have decent (at least good) credit.

Personally, we like having the camper and usually spend 20-30 + nights in it a year. I keep it on my property and my cats keep it rodent free. Next year, I am doing a 3 week trip out to SD & Colorado & that’s where it really shines. Most state parks are only $30 +\- for a nightly fee. I stay on my parents property 400 miles away In MI, and that only costs me gas & food (however, it is set up w/ a 30 amp service & a septic tank to dump in).

We pretty much made every mistake early on & are now pretty much seasoned campers. I like the freedom they offer to pick up and bolt for a few days, when we are bored of the homestead. That was invaluable with kids in virtual school all last year during “pre vaccine period” of COVID.

Pics!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:25 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:48 am My wife watches all these youtube channels about RV and tiny homes and shit, so she wants to sell the house and do that. So, there's discussion. But, nah. Too old for that shit anymore. I like my garden, anyway.

CDFingers
Sounds expensive and I’d rather have a small home with a garden and take day trips in my MINI or motorcycle. I’ve seen places and traveled, the places I still want to see are not going to be accessible by a motor vehicle alone. Good luck YT, RVs are beyond my reach.
We're playing with ideas. Our youngest has two more years to college and we promised him a minimum of coming home to the house he grew up in, then we're putting this elephant on the market. I'm toying with the idea of just living in the RV and moving around the country and the wife is intrigued by the idea. Selling this place should EASILY pay off the mortgage, buy us anything we want, and leave us another nest egg.

We have a small home in Abaco--barely 1500 sq feet. And it's where we want to be when not travelling. We were there up till a week ago--first time since the Pandemic.

sikacz wrote:
INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:21 pm I have a 5800 lb Dry weight (probably tow in excess of 7k loaded, normally) 27’ Travel Traveler (bunk house model) & an F-250 7.3L gas 4X4 to pull it. It’s really the only way my family of 7 can economically go on vacations. Plus, they can be a great way to travel to events as well. I was a competitive triathlete several years ago & the rest I get on a camper mattress in the A/C the night before far exceeds racing after a night in a tent. I meet my dad and brother for a hunting trip in the fall as well - again, a night in a heated trailer is very pleasant after a cold day hunting.

Pics!

I went in a different direction. I went looking for the lightest thing that had my minimum specs: separate bed and dinette, toilet, shower.

This is one of those things that no one is wrong on. It comes down to looking for different things.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

INVICTVS138 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:32 pm
sikacz wrote:

Pics!

YankeeTarheel wrote:Nice!
Thx. Yup, other than the people who “full time RV,” We are one of the few families that get our money’s worth out of the damn things. I’ve had zero issues with mine - and I do all my own maintenance/care. Some of them are just lemons from the get go. Mine is pretty utilitarian (bottom of the market), but you definitely want power Jacks, solid step stairs and at least one slide out.

Hasaf wrote:I went in a different direction. I went looking for the lightest thing that had my minimum specs: separate bed and dinette, toilet, shower.

This is one of those things that no one is wrong on. It comes down to looking for different things.
Exactly! Your set up would be difficult for a huge family but perfect for less folks. I’m probably upgrading in a couple years - but it’s a big step up…

It's like anything: What works for you and makes you happy is right. My parents had a little trailer they pulled all over the country. It had a propane 3 burner stove, an ice box that was no more than a cooler, not even a real fridge, 12 volt lights, no A/C, no heat, no hot water, no toilet or shower, just a cold-water sink. I don't remember if it had an electric hook up, but if it did it was probably no more than an extension cord. Yet they enjoyed it for many years.

A doctor I worked with in the ER years ago had Parents that would take their RV and head from Iowa to the Rio Grande valley every winter with the rest of the Snowbirds live down there in their RV and come late spring head back to Iowa. They even had jobs in the Vally as guides for the other Snowbirds.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:05 am A doctor I worked with in the ER years ago had Parents that would take their RV and head from Iowa to the Rio Grande valley every winter with the rest of the Snowbirds live down there in their RV and come late spring head back to Iowa. They even had jobs in the Vally as guides for the other Snowbirds.
Our next door neighbor used to do that, drive from Westchester down to Florida pulling his little trailer and spend the winter, leaving his wife--I THINK it was after the youngest daughter was out of the house.